Pages:
Author

Topic: Block's plan hardware wallet with fingerprint sensors... - page 2. (Read 303 times)

legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 5637
Blackjack.fun-Free Raffle-Join&Win $50🎲
I think that devices like hardware wallets should avoid such methods because such a method is simply not safe and can be misused in various ways. Whether someone comes into possession of your fingerprint and makes an identical copy, or someone forces you to unlock the device that way - all the way to someone doing it while you sleep or you are not fully conscious.

When it comes to replacing a seed with a fingerprint, then it is an even greater nonsense and security threat. I personally would never use such a device, and I believe many others think so too.
Activity: 1064
Merit: 841
I don't think the fingerprint sensors will be a "key" to control the hardware wallet, probably it's only for second verification that can be enabled or not and can be reset. So, you're still need to input your seed phrases in order to control your wallet. IMO biometric verification isn't a safe and it's something can trigger our identity, if the sensors can know which fingerprint is the owner, someone might know who I'm if I leave a trace of my fingerprint on somewhere.

2FA is enough and better, make sure it's installed (e.g. Authy) on different device.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 2124
So we all know about Jack Dorsey who is the ex CEO of Twitter and his company Square who is bitcoin enthusiast also and have promoted the usage of bitcoin very well.He has came forward in its support like at the Bitcoin event challenging Musk to come and discuss about btc or running a node to implementing bitcoin tip system on twitter to boost the adoption and spread awareness about bitcoin.

But now his company Block has came up with the idea of implementing fingerprint sensors in hardware wallets for the security rather than having the seed phrase which is by the way key to your funds.

“We believe PINs, passwords, and seed phrases are confusing and often not secure given the workarounds normal people have to create given all the friction,” the company said in a Friday statement. “Instead, to achieve seamless authentication in practice, we plan to incorporate a fingerprint sensor into the wallet hardware.”

Source: Dorsey wants to implement fingerprint sensors in hardware wallets

This is somewhat modern approach and have it's own safety protocols but having the seed phrases in traditional manner is also good and feasible option according to me as there are also limitations to these sensors which cannot be ignored like :

1) What if during an accident there is loss and we can't access our hardware wallets? The seed can be entered securely under these circumstances

2) After your demise how can your family members restore your wallets because you can share the seed phrases but not your finger print sensors

3) The life also becomes risky if someone came to know about your bitcoin funds in hardware wallets and they can access your funds with one click of your thumb

Certain disadvantages of these biometric recognitions :

Although fingerprints do not change with age, it can be more difficult to capture them in older people. This is because the skin loses elasticity with age, and the patterns become less prominent, especially due to the thickening of ridges and furrows.

Adermatoglyphia is a sporadic genetic disorder that causes a person to have no fingerprints. People with this disorder have completely smooth fingertips, palms, toes, and soles.

Certain skin diseases destroy the dermis and epidermis of the skin. Consequently, it becomes challenging for fingerprint recognition systems to recognize the prints of these individuals.

The thing is I am not against the technical upgradation related to security but thinks that some things if done in traditional manner are more effective.Although they have said to elude the tradeoffs but still there are some caches remaining as technology can be used against us also if not taken proper care of.The funds could be at stake but these are all assumptions which might not happen.

There was past thread about this also on the B&H section and many members were also against this so thought of sharing it with you all and ask about your options here.

They have also asked for suggestions so what are your thoughts about this one?
Pages:
Jump to: