Pages:
Author

Topic: #Blocksize Survey - page 8. (Read 16117 times)

Activity: 644
Merit: 504
Bitcoin replaces central, not commercial, banks
September 03, 2015, 06:43:50 PM
Even when we acknowledge your view that decentralisation is still an important aspect and we shouldn't go too crazy with the blocksize, you still won't move an inch.
Still? My belief it's always an important aspect. Or did I misinterpret you?

I get the impression at times they feel that anyone with a view supporting larger blocks doesn't care about jeopardising decentralisation.  Like we've somehow forgotten that it's important.  That's why they can only see it as an "attack", they genuinely believe we don't understand the importance of decentralisation.  We do.  But there are valid concerns about capacity and it's vital we get the balance right, so we propose smaller increases, or dynamic increases and decreases, or letting the miners choose, but apparently none of these are viable options to the handful of "asset class" militants who reject everything out of hand.  It appears as though the only option they're willing to allow is "GTFO my chain, peasant".  So what's the point in trying to engage with them?  If they want a blockchain all to themselves, that's exactly what they're going to get when everyone else leaves them behind.

Perhaps you can explain the centralization risks as many of us who want bigger blocks think the fears are exaggerated.

For example, the storage space of the entire blockchain...Last I heard the prunable ledger was only 1 gig.

A prunable ledger is useless as it does nothing but relay transactions. They do not help to keep the ledger decentralized.

The problem starts with a precipitation of miner centralization brought by a screwed incentive which now enables the biggest, most connected ones to start mining bigger blocks at a rate the smaller ones could not keep up with. The real issue though is the impact it has on the nodes, who are not rewarded btw. This is where the "tragedy of the commons" plays out. As miners are incentivized to fill up their blocks regular nodes will be wiped off the map as only corporate set ups could service the appetite of the miners.

That is how Bitcoin becomes "captured" by corporate interests as they grab control over its nodes governance.
Activity: 346
Merit: 250
September 03, 2015, 06:33:41 PM
In the end, even the small poll up above clearly shows there is no consensus about it.

Hence, bitcoin stays as it is.

Forkers are welcome to fork out and enjoy their blindful life within some cheap tipping altchain.

But there is no need to POW it, litecoin or ripple would do the work perfectly.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
September 03, 2015, 06:32:56 PM
Even when we acknowledge your view that decentralisation is still an important aspect and we shouldn't go too crazy with the blocksize, you still won't move an inch.

I get the impression at times they feel that anyone with a view supporting larger blocks doesn't care about jeopardising decentralisation.  Like we've somehow forgotten that it's important.  That's why they can only see it as an "attack", they genuinely believe we don't understand the importance of decentralisation.  We do.  But there are valid concerns about capacity and it's vital we get the balance right, so we propose smaller increases, or dynamic increases and decreases, or letting the miners choose, but apparently none of these are viable options to the handful of "asset class" militants who reject everything out of hand.  It appears as though the only option they're willing to allow is "GTFO my chain, peasant".  So what's the point in trying to engage with them?  If they want a blockchain all to themselves, that's exactly what they're going to get when everyone else leaves them behind.

Perhaps you can explain the centralization risks as many of us who want bigger blocks think the fears are exaggerated.

For example, the storage space of the entire blockchain...Last I heard the pruned ledger was only 1 gig.

September 03, 2015, 06:28:59 PM

I get the impression at times they feel that anyone with a view supporting larger blocks doesn't care about jeopardising decentralisation.  Like we've somehow forgotten that it's important.  That's why they can only see it as an "attack", they genuinely believe we don't understand the importance of decentralisation.  We do.  But there are valid concerns about capacity and it's vital we get the balance right, so we propose smaller increases, or dynamic increases and decreases, or letting the miners choose, but apparently none of these are viable options to the handful of "asset class" militants who reject everything out of hand.  It appears as though the only option they're willing to allow is "GTFO my chain, peasant".  So what's the point in trying to engage with them?  If they want a blockchain all to themselves, that's exactly what they're going to get when everyone else leaves them behind.

Nonsense.

You need to understand that the bigger blocks that are being pushed today is literally the same as pushing for centralization.

Purely scaling is not "only" a matter of blocksize anyway.

Moreover, there aint no testing, no data, no nothing. So imho people against such reckless and clueless increase are the ones that actually cares for the sake of bitcoin.

You're being mindfucked hard : either you get it, or you dont, but then it will not be a great loss once you fork outta here.

x1000

DooMAD you are in way over your head you need to step back from it and gather your thoughts you are currently playing right into their hands.
Activity: 346
September 03, 2015, 06:24:51 PM

Nonsense.

You need to understand that the bigger blocks that are being pushed today is literally the same as pushing for centralization.

Purely scaling is not "only" a matter of blocksize anyway.

Moreover, there aint no testing, no data, no nothing. So imho people against such reckless and clueless increase are the ones that actually cares for the sake of bitcoin.

You're being mindfucked hard : either you get it, or you dont, but then it will not be a great loss once you fork outta here.

September 03, 2015, 06:20:01 PM
Fork you man there is no alternative to be found to bitcoin! Cant you just get it?
Im starting to be really irritated by your constant fud and unfounded, untested, illogical bullshit

such ignorance wtf.

Cant wait for you sheeple to Fork be Fuck off.

So to clarify, regardless of how many people (Sheeple?  Really?  Could you be any less mature?) push for larger blocks because it's an entirely legitimate and acceptable view, until the blocks are regularly full and the mempool starts to grow as well, you will staunchly and vehemently oppose any proposals that involve an increase?  Even resorting to baseless accusations and character assassinations of any developers proposing a fork?  Even though that will degrade the service for the average user?  Is that pretty much the sum of it?  Constant FUD and derision of anything that differs to your equally untested view?  

There's literally no reasoning with you (or brg444, or iCEBREAKER, or your other fellow cronies feeding off MP's elitist rhetoric).  Despite every attempt to find common ground with you, you simply don't want there to be any.  Even when we acknowledge your view that decentralisation is still an important aspect and we shouldn't go too crazy with the blocksize, you still won't move an inch.  Why should anyone acknowledge your view if you won't acknowledge theirs?  When the majority find benefit in scaling, you're more than welcome to stay behind and trade amongst a small handful of noisy extremists who are incapable of allowing compromise.  Everyone else will leave you in the dust.  That's how it'll end.

How many strawmen, lies and general butthurt can you fit in one post. WOW

The "majority" you speak of doesn't exist. It is a product of "the masses" own hubris and incapacity to process that Bitcoin is not a democracy and that if they're poor, no amount of social media upvotes, likes, tweets or medium articles is gonna change anything about Bitcoin's governance. The latter is executed by people who pay and maintain the system. The miners, the nodes, and most importantly the holders (and yes the amount of bitcoin you have in your wallet weights in the discussion). The number of fiat showing in your bank account though, is irrelevant. Yes this goes for the VCs, bankers, entrepreneurs.

Now you need to reconcile with the fact that it has been a long going attempt to weaken Bitcoin through centralization under capture of corporate interests. Understand that way before the block size debate really started getting traction from a post by Matt Corallo on the bitcoin dev list, Gavin was running around every telling all the Bitcoin companies around that the blocksize was a no-brainer issue. These same start-ups went to all the VCs in the country selling them on models all most likely built on ridiculous assumption about the scale of mainchain transaction growth. Visa number eventually? Why not? "It's just a number, right?"

These same startups after a couple of months are starting to see their funding dry up but they can't go back to their VC with a 7 tps controversy. Now rather than blame their poor business acumen and false expectations they are lobbying their old friends from back in the Bitcoin foundation days. After thinking twice it came to me that Gavin most likely had no difficulty convincing them to sign this letter.

There are perfectly sensible, technical reasons to believe it is absolutely essential to keep the max block size reasonably close to the network actual average demand. Whether that is done through a flex cap or a fixed schedule it remains that we need to be absolutely conservation as we err in unknown territories.

More importantly, hitting or filling the blocks are absolutely not a bad thing and would likely develop into an healthy fee market. Obviously we cannot confirm this yet but I guess maybe we'll see next week? It is imperative that we get this right. I'm sure you have observed how contentious the hard fork is at this stage in Bitcoin's growth, it may be our last chance to arrive to consensus on one.

Activity: 299
September 03, 2015, 06:17:32 PM
It appears as though the only option they're willing to allow is "GTFO my chain, peasant".  So what's the point in trying to engage with them?

I believe you have just stated Gavin's position.

I asked Andresen whether, if XT were to achieve full acceptance, he would then include all the earlier Bitcoin core devs in the new XT team. He replied that “[XT] will have a different set of developers.”
http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/inside-the-fight-over-bitcoins-future

"My way or the highway."
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
September 03, 2015, 06:13:15 PM

I get the impression at times they feel that anyone with a view supporting larger blocks doesn't care about jeopardising decentralisation.  Like we've somehow forgotten that it's important.  That's why they can only see it as an "attack", they genuinely believe we don't understand the importance of decentralisation.  We do.  But there are valid concerns about capacity and it's vital we get the balance right, so we propose smaller increases, or dynamic increases and decreases, or letting the miners choose, but apparently none of these are viable options to the handful of "asset class" militants who reject everything out of hand.  It appears as though the only option they're willing to allow is "GTFO my chain, peasant".  So what's the point in trying to engage with them?  If they want a blockchain all to themselves, that's exactly what they're going to get when everyone else leaves them behind.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1009
September 03, 2015, 05:48:37 PM
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002
September 03, 2015, 04:25:15 PM
Lol, whatever you so smartass, get lost.

Cant be bothered anymore with your fallacies, altho the more pitiful part is you may actually buy this nonsense..

In the end, you will be ruined, i will be cheering.

Ignored.
legendary
September 03, 2015, 04:07:10 PM
Fork you man there is no alternative to be found to bitcoin! Cant you just get it?
Im starting to be really irritated by your constant fud and unfounded, untested, illogical bullshit

such ignorance wtf.

Cant wait for you sheeple to Fork be Fuck off.

So to clarify, regardless of how many people (Sheeple?  Really?  Could you be any less mature?) push for larger blocks because it's an entirely legitimate and acceptable view, until the blocks are regularly full and the mempool starts to grow as well, you will staunchly and vehemently oppose any proposals that involve an increase?  Even resorting to baseless accusations and character assassinations of any developers proposing a fork?  Even though that will degrade the service for the average user?  Is that pretty much the sum of it?  Constant FUD and derision of anything that differs to your equally untested view?  

There's literally no reasoning with you (or brg444, or iCEBREAKER, or your other fellow cronies feeding off MP's elitist rhetoric).  Despite every attempt to find common ground with you, you simply don't want there to be any.  Even when we acknowledge your view that decentralisation is still an important aspect and we shouldn't go too crazy with the blocksize, you still won't move an inch.  Why should anyone acknowledge your view if you won't acknowledge theirs?  When the majority find benefit in scaling, you're more than welcome to stay behind and trade amongst a small handful of noisy extremists who are incapable of allowing compromise.  Everyone else will leave you in the dust.  That's how it'll end.
legendary
Activity: 1066
Merit: 1050
Khazad ai-menu!
September 03, 2015, 03:52:41 PM
If you think this kind of thing could somehow be useful but you're not sure you trust Themos to officiate, you could use a public fraud-proof voting system:

http://coin-vote.com/poll/55e8a33299baadff0a34acb7
legendary
September 03, 2015, 03:13:30 PM

such ignorance wtf.

Cant wait for you sheeple to Fork the Fuck off.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
September 03, 2015, 02:34:41 PM
Lol but basically, we were right about Gavin.. From the very first start. So how about you read and learn baby Wink

We "fuckwits" are the ones fighting for you bitcoiners best interest.

No, you've just reinforced your own baseless assertions to the point where you've actually started to believe them.  Others are willing to compromise and find a balance between capacity and decentralisation, but you aren't.  Either start making concessions, or guarantee a messy split when the fork does happen.  You attacked 20mb without proposing an alternative, you attacked 8mb without proposing an alternative, and now you're attacking BIP100 without proposing an alternative.  Where's your alternative?  Is there even an inch of ground you're prepared to give?  What increase in blocksize would you find acceptable?  Either be reasonable and negotiate, or lose your say altogether and get left behind.  No one is going to waste their time talking to a brick wall.  Your choice.  

When someone can't even tell the difference between "Gavin" and "Garzik" its time to put them on ignore.  (hdbuck, not you DooMAD)
legendary
September 03, 2015, 02:32:00 PM
Lol but basically, we were right about Gavin.. From the very first start. So how about you read and learn baby Wink

We "fuckwits" are the ones fighting for you bitcoiners best interest.

No, you've just reinforced your own baseless assertions to the point where you've actually started to believe them.  Others are willing to compromise and find a balance between capacity and decentralisation, but you aren't.  Either start making concessions, or guarantee a messy split when the fork does happen.  You attacked 20mb without proposing an alternative, you attacked 8mb without proposing an alternative, and now you're attacking BIP100 without proposing an alternative.  Where's your alternative?  Is there even an inch of ground you're prepared to give?  What increase in blocksize would you find acceptable?  Either be reasonable and negotiate, or lose your say altogether and get left behind.  No one is going to waste their time talking to a brick wall.  Your choice.  
Activity: 299
September 03, 2015, 02:27:02 PM
Why is BIP102 not included?
legendary
September 03, 2015, 02:06:13 PM
Lol but basically, we were right about Gavin.. From the very begining.. So how about you read and learn baby  Kiss

In the end, we, "fuckwits", are the only ones really fighting, givin no concessions, for you fools bitcoiner's best interest.

Wink
legendary
September 03, 2015, 01:52:25 PM

Somehow I figured it wouldn't take long for that shit to start.  Once you finish telling everyone that Gavin and Mike are basically the equivalent of terrorists for daring to propose a fork, then the focus switches to Jeff and then he's just as scary/bad/evil/etc and no one should trust him because he dared to propose a change, so he must want power for himself, right?  So eventually absolutely anyone with a proposal that involves a blocksize increase becomes an enemy of the "true" Bitcoin?  Is that basically where this shit is headed?  Because I guarantee you're going to run out of credibility if you cry wolf again.  Bunch of fear-mongering fuckwits, the lot of you.
legendary
Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000
September 03, 2015, 11:01:05 AM
Hope this selection of articles widens a bit your view on the subject.

Thanks!

Always love to read different views.
legendary
September 03, 2015, 09:32:30 AM
a16z Podcast: Hard Forks, Hard Choices for Bitcoin
WITH ADAM BACK AND ALEX MORCOS
http://a16z.com/2015/09/02/a16z-podcast-hard-forks-hard-choices-for-bitcoin/

So in the interest of airing all options for solving Bitcoin’s scaling problem, we invited two more experts from the Bitcoin world, Adam Back and Alex Morcos to share their views on alternate ways to scale the Bitcoin blockchain.

Back is a well-known applied cryptographer, whose longtime focus has been digital currency. Back invented hashcash, a proof-of-work system, which, among its other applications, is used in Bitcoin mining. He’s the cofounder of Blockstream.

Morcos is the founder of Chaincode Labs, based in New York City, and was a co-founder of quantitative trading company Hudson River Trading. He’s more recently become immersed in the Bitcoin world.

It seems like both Adam and Alex favour bigger blocks too, they just have a different approach to how to scale.

Seriously... who is in favour of 1MB blocks forever? Link please!

Not saying 4evatm. altho...

The economics of sinking Garzikcoin aka BIP 100.
http://www.contravex.com/2015/08/29/the-economics-of-sinking-garzikcoin-aka-bip-100/

Vox populi, vox dei, no more.
http://www.contravex.com/2015/08/19/vox-populi-vox-dei-no-more/

Bitcoin is unfair. That’s the point and so it shall remain.
http://www.contravex.com/2015/03/08/bitcoin-is-unfair-thats-the-point-and-so-it-shall-remain/

The future of Bitcoin regulation
http://trilema.com/2013/the-future-of-bitcoin-regulation/#selection-103.295-103.500

The Economics of Bitcoin Transaction Fees
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2400519

Who Controls Bitcoin?
http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/who-controls-bitcoin/

Meditations on Cypherpunk Nightmares
http://nakamotoinstitute.org/mempool/meditations-on-cypherpunk-nightmares/

Hope this selection of articles widens a bit your view on the subject.
Pages:
Jump to: