Pages:
Author

Topic: bought my first computer in 4 years. What useful programs would you recommend? - page 3. (Read 2265 times)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Stand on the shoulders of giants
Activity: 770
Merit: 500
Microsoft Paint  Grin dont know alot but for videos VLC.

Klite mega codec pack for videos.
Activity: 588
Merit: 501
Microsoft Paint  Grin dont know alot but for videos VLC.
Paint is indeed very useful for painting beautiful squares and circles, but it's already installed from scratch with windows computers, no need to download it. Smiley

Upgrade to Paint.net

http://download.cnet.com/Paint-NET/3000-2192_4-10338146.html
I prefer Paintbrush (mac user) Huehuehuehue.

Why use paint when there is lightyears ahead photoshop?
Photoshop <<<<< MSPaint, and this is from experience, not because of functionalities but rather what the average will used for, which cut, past, add text, cover/hide something and that's all
legendary
Activity: 1272
Merit: 1012
howdy
When you can afford it, throw away that spinning hard drive and get yourself a solid state drive. If you are doing HTML and web server stuff, definitely set up a LAMP server and connect to it via putty or winscp. GIMP is a good alternative to photoshop or paint. Notepad++ is useful too. Good luck!
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970

Photoshop is overkill.  Also, Paint.net is free.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
Paint is indeed very useful for painting beautiful squares and circles, but it's already installed from scratch with windows computers, no need to download it. Smiley

Upgrade to Paint.net

Activity: 224
Merit: 101

Upgrade to Paint.net

Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970

Upgrade to Paint.net

You don't need such thing, just install CCCP which is a codec pack and use your windows player no need for more plays on your PC btw isn't MS Paint stock on windows <.< ?

yeah but useful one  Grin but VLC is VLC , i prefer VLC more than any other Video Player.

the only good thing about VLC is the ease of use as a reception streaming platform that's all to it, but you would be just adding ruddency to your computer for no reason, why you want to have 3 or 4 video players if you are just going to use one and rarely
Activity: 140

You don't need such thing, just install CCCP which is a codec pack and use your windows player no need for more plays on your PC btw isn't MS Paint stock on windows <.< ?

yeah but useful one  Grin but VLC is VLC , i prefer VLC more than any other Video Player.

Activity: 140
My only suggestion is to not load it with crapware and unecessary software, one or two internet browsers at most (firefox or Chrome IE9 and tor on a drive), 1 antivirus with firewall (even the windows security essentials is enough for this), 1 antimalware and privacy software(malawarebyte, hitmanPRO,Spybot search and destroy) your codecs I recommend CCCP, and your SQL PHP software, notepad++ Java and you should be set to go
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
I highly recommend Malwarebytes.
Malwarebytes Anti malware is really good indeed, even the free version. It doesn't ask you to purchase every damn time you use it either like other free programs. Also free version isn't time limited, only the premium trial is.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
I just bought the Acer Aspire One netbook. Link I also plan on upgrading it to 4gigs of ram.

If it is a netbook, i doubt you can install any database system and have it running smoothly. Just try the free mysql first, or use ms access to familiarise yourself with sql. If you have a desktop with a bit more muscle, install mysql on there and query the database on your netbook.
Activity: 288
Merit: 250
Notepad++
WAMP for development

Some more common usefull apps https://ninite.com/

I second Notepad++, it is very useful.
Activity: 146
I highly recommend Malwarebytes.
Activity: 350
Merit: 252
REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||
WAMP for MySQL , PHP if you really want to get into Html and sql . I'll also suggest either Notepad++ or Dreamweaver for coding Smiley

Pages:
Jump to: