Pages:
Author

Topic: [BOUNTY: 0.3 BTC/person] Help test Armory backups demo (M-of-N GUI + More) - page 2. (Read 4203 times)

Activity: 175
Merit: 100
I will award up to 4 bounties, to those who give the best feedback.  Preference given to those who respond first.
- YOUR PRODUCT IS AWESOME

You must have found bugs.  
Picture of a bug I found

You need to be patient.  There's going to be a lot of copy-and-pasting of backup data

backup data backup data backup data backup data backup data backup data backup data backup data backup data backup data backup data backup data backup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup databackup data

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Cheers,
-Autodidactic

here's my wallet: 1G9SXneV2PfgRNjpZh8efTJhfFgaJG3LnF
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
Armory has an exhibitor booth at the conference in two days, and I've been racing to finish this demo feature.  I don't have time for full testing&integration before the conference, but it should be good enough to demo it on testnet.   But I do need people to dig in and tell me what I messed up.   What combination of things doesn't work?  What's going to embarrass me?

What's New?:

There is a branch of Armory in the repo called "Backup Center".  I have also linked a standalone executable for Windows 64-bit.  This contains a completely revamped backup system in Armory.  Like.  Really revamped.  

• Backup center to help you decide how you want to backup
  • Optional SecurePrint feature to encrypt your backups with a code displayed on the screen
  • Can now print imported keys on paper backup (with SecurePrint!).  Though, no restore yet for SecurePrint imported keys.
  • Newly-created wallets now only require backing up half the amount of data!  And everything is backwards compatible.
  • A full M-of-N backup-and-restore interface!
  • The M-of-N system can do any mixture of printed sheets, files and with or w/o SecurePrint

These new features are not ready for mainnet/prodnet.  ONLY USE THIS ON TESTNET.  But I hope that I'll be able to get my QA in place to release in the next two weeks.

To claim the bounty:
The bounty is big and dangerous for me.  It's a lot of money I might give away for very little.  But this also won't be easy to redeem!  So here's the conditions to receive the bounty

• I will award up to 4 bounties, to those who give the best feedback.  Preference given to those who respond first.
  • A email must be sent before 4pm EST, Thurs.  Use [email protected].  You must not post your findings here, because I need people to actually test it, not just see other bug reports and send it to me trying to claim the bounty
  • You must have found bugs.  I know a few that I can easily work around in a demo.  So I know there are bugs to report.   If you are really testing it, you'll find a couple for sure.  The more you convince me that you actually, thoroughly tested it, the more likely you are to get the bounty.
  • You need to be patient.  There's going to be a lot of copy-and-pasting of backup data.  Probably lots of typing.  This is why the bounty is so high -- it might be boring and take you an hour or two.  Try copying the backup info into a text editor, and use that for copy-and-paste into the backup dialogs
  • You need to provide feedback.  Beyond just finding bugs, you get points for telling me what was confusing.  What could be improved.  How to rearrange things.  Etc.

Also be patient, because I won't have time to evaluate bounties until next week.  I have a lot to do before the conference, so I'm eating bug reports now in a hurry.  I will go back through the emails next week (after things have settled down), and figure out who gets these bounties.  

Testing Focus:

DO NOT TEST DIGITAL BACKUPS OR "EXPORT KEY LISTS".  That's not part of this exercise.  Just the single-sheet backups and the fragmented.

Test creating backups. Restoring them.  With SecurePrint, without, new wallets, old wallets (don't worry about the "Version 0" M-of-N backups), mistyping data, mixing up data.  Mixing paper backups, files, SecurePrint, plain, all when restoring M-of-N (yes, you can do that!).  Also, I could use some testing of Armory in general, to make sure I didn't break more stuff.  Tiny things/quirks are appreciated, but you get points for the most-definitely-not-right-and-impacts-usability bugs.

To use it in online mode on testnet, you'll have to disable auto-bitcoind in the settings and run it yourself.    I have only tested in offline mode.  There's probably lots of juicy bugs in online mode, which is partly why I'm limiting the bounty to 4 people.  

Now. I must sleep....

EDIT:  I just wanted to point out that one of the bugs is that the dropdown menu from the main screen does not take you to the right place.  You have to use the new button in the upper-right to get to the new "Restore Wallet" dialog.  It's kind of a lot of work to rebuild the Windows executable, so I'm leaving it for now.

Pages:
Jump to: