Pages:
Author

Topic: Bounty for QR Code LTC Payment Processor - page 2. (Read 3196 times)

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
December 04, 2011, 12:43:44 PM
Are you adding 500LTC to my offer of 1000LTC, offering 1500LTC in addition to my 1000LTC or asking me to raise my bounty to 1500LTC?

Just to clarify.
Make that 1500LTC.
Activity: 560
Merit: 501
December 04, 2011, 12:40:22 PM
Make that 1500LTC.
legendary
December 04, 2011, 12:34:41 PM
1) I have 1000LTC that I'll put up, (not much, but I'd hope others would help as well to make it worth someones while)

2) Yes I have seen the bitcoin wallet app, and it looks nice! The idea behind this is the same, although there are some things I think could be improved upon eventually.

For example, it seems difficult to keep the whole block chain in the phones memory. After the dust Spam on LTC my wallet was over 1 gig in size. I'm not sure if there is a practical way around this, (cloud hosting the block chain?)

Perhaps it's impractical for the phone wallet to act as a full Coin client, after all consumers don't really use their credit cards for anything other then paying with them. Perhaps the phone app should be kept dead simple- Apple style, rather then act as a full coin client where you can manage and track everything.

I'm thinking dead simple, just a few options, so it doesn't get bloated with feature clutter.

But otherwise, yes- this is exactly the sort of project I'm talking about.

1) What's the bounty?

2) Are you familiary with the Bitcoin Wallet App?

Do you just want something like that for Litecoin?

https://market.android.com/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet&hl=en
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031
December 04, 2011, 12:22:50 PM
1) What's the bounty?

2) Are you familiary with the Bitcoin Wallet App?

Do you just want something like that for Litecoin?

https://market.android.com/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet&hl=en
legendary
December 04, 2011, 09:35:46 AM
The idea is really to make spending LTC in a real world situation as simple as using a debit or credit card. To prevent human error in transcribing addresses.

Of course, I'm sure someone would be tempted to charge a percentage of the sale (Big Bank Style) to earn money of the design. How do people feel about that? Does it go against the ethos of cryptocurrency, or would the small percentage be warranted as you could technically still send the money on your own for free?
legendary
December 04, 2011, 08:51:46 AM
UPDATE: I'm going to try and keep track of the bounties and the rules as we work on it:

Crazy_rabbit: 1000LTC
-appended conditions
API implementation (Not critical to me, crazy_rabbit, but others like it as well)

Terrytibbs: 500 LTC
-appended conditions
application must be open-source and at no point may private keys be sent over the air, encrypted or not.

3phase: 1000 LTC
-appended conditions
An RPC implementation which would easily run either with a locally stored blockchain (on the phone) or with a remote RPC server, with SSL support. A configuration menu (host, port, rpcuser, rpcpassword) would enable the user to select what they want.

Freequant: 1500LTC
-appended conditions
- The application should be able to both read and generate Bitcoin, Litecoin and Bitcoin+Litecoin QR codes.
- Bitcoin QR codes generated by the application should be readable by existing Bitcoin QR code readers (so exactly same format).
- Bitcoin QR codes generated by other generators should be readable by the application.
- The application should display both a Litecoin and Bitcoin logo in a neutral fashion.
- The application should be able to run on at least one major breed of smartphones (IPhones or Android phones).
Current Total:
4000LTC!

I haven't seen if others are working on something similar but I wanted to propose putting together a bounty to support the development of a Payment Processor so that LTC can be used as payment in real world situations (IE: buying coffee, or trading money in person)

It seems one of the major roadblocks to the usefulness of LTC (I will speak of LTC, although in general my comments stand for all crypto-currencies) is the difficulty with sending and receiving LTC payments in the real world, especially for non-technical individuals. In particular the LTC addresses are far to long for people to write down, remember, or easily transmit to one another without connecting electronically (IE: sending the code by SMS, or EMAIL)

I propose a QR Code based system to work with Smartphones and tablets.

1.) The program can function both for sending and receiving payments.

2.) When you request payment the program generates a QR Code that it displays on the screen for the Payee to scan. The QR code would contain a unique address for receiving the payment, the amount Requested (as well as perhaps some text string for tracking the payment, IE: Starbucks) on the smart devices screen in the form of a QR Code.

3.) The person who is sending payment uses their smart device to read the QR Code which then displays the total amount requested, the vendor requesting payment (from the text string), and prompts the user to confirm payment.

4.) The user confirms payment, (perhaps through a pin or some simple sanity check) and the program sends the payment to the address embedded in the QR code.

5.) The receiver then receives a confirmation of the payment, and a perhaps can produce a receipt if necessary.

Such a system would support the adoption of LTC in real world transactions, and does not seem very difficult to implement. It would enable small businesses to accept LTC as well as let individuals accept payment.

I am not a programmer myself and not up to the task, so I propose putting together a bounty to support development. What does everyone think? This thread could also be a good place to talk ideas about what else such a system would need to function well.

Pages:
Jump to: