Pages:
Author

Topic: [Bounty.05btc] USB drives stops/freeze/hangs [Resolved] - page 2. (Read 20034 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Had a chat with our senior engineers here.

Recommendations:

Update your chipset drivers ( motherboard drivers )

Complete a speed test on the flash sticks, see what they bug out on - sequential read/writes or both.

USB 3.0 will not cause any issues, its an open standard - 2.0 is 120% supported.

How old are the sticks? Do take into consideration flash drives only have a limited data usage life, e.g how many cycles are used.

Also what file system are you running on the drives? Some drives dont like fat, some dont like ntfs.

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003
Designer - Developer
What class are these USB sticks?
Constant read write on cheaper sticks tend to wear them out quite fast.
Can't remember the exact number or reads and writes the average lifetime of the devices is. But it is finite.

You could try using the program Zadig to update the used drivers on it perhaps?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/libwdi/files/zadig/

Hopefully help you!
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
As i stated above, the issue happens regardless of usb drive or port and it previously Did Not Exsist.
I am not home right now so i cant try deepcelerons idea.
No i do not have any of those programs installed
Ive formatted the devices many times in many differant ways, they work just fine on computers other than my two main ones.
Tablet-works
Laptop-works
Gaming desktop- randomly started happening
Mining rig- same problem
Brothers desktop- works
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1036
You should run H2 test on the USB sticks. It is a program that writes a pattern to the full reported storage space and reads it back, it will find bad flash or especially counterfeit flash memory with a fake size:

http://www.heise.de/ct/Software-zur-aktuellen-Ausgabe-5460.html

Then you should re-format them FAT32 with full surface check (not quick format).
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
These programs may sometimes conflict with sandisk usb drives:

Samsung Kies
    Sony Play Memories
    Sony PC Companion
    VMware Player
    HTCMonitorSevice
    HTCSync

do you use any of these on your PCs?
Activity: 267
Merit: 250
Use a program called "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool".
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
Which usbdrives you are using? company name/model?
Sandisk "cruzer edge" 8gb
and Dane Elec 8gb

Your mobo have usb 3.0
Both usb drives are  usb 2.0 drives but not sure if that should be a issue.
legendary
Okey Dokey Lokey
Sandisk "cruzer edge" 8gb
and Dane Elec 8gb
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

Ps: Are you using them on front panel? if yes try to use them via back panel and see if you are getting any issues.

and install latest mobo chipset driver/usb controller driver.

You are using ASUSTek Mobo i guess.
legendary
Okey Dokey Lokey
ok, i've been up all night, i cant fix the issue, so im putting up a bounty
Heres the problem compacted into a small paragraph so i can goto sleep and hopefully wakeup with a fix, Im jumping up and down yelling at this crap:
When doing a "large" amount of "usage" on the USB flash drive, It hangs and stops, locking up my explorer until i unplug the drive.
examples of how this happens and how it does not
1.) copy small files one by one works, but at some point it will fail on one of them and hang/freeze
2.) Searching the drive causes it to hang after brining up a few results
3.) Reading and writing large files on and off the (>20mb!!!) causes the drive to hang after transfering some of the data
4.) Running a HDD test causes the drive to Hang, but on a functional computer, the HDD test shows nothing wrong
Every fucking time without fail, regardless of USB flash drive or USB port, the damn thing moves along at full speed, and Randomly FREEZES and HANGS before it can even get to 50%

Heres the thing that pisses me off even more, This started happening out of nowhere, i can't even trace back to when it started because i hadnt had to "move" so much data before
The USB drives i am trying work on two computers, and fail on two differant computers, they are a 8gb sticks
All are running win7 64bit

Here is my dxdiag
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=XQC8gSqu

Please help me, And please look into things that might fix this, I am exhausted mentally and am pulling at my hair
Windows updates are not helping, KB96xxxx doesnt work either

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Conclusion------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The USB devices do not work when CGMiner is running?
Run test- All clear
Run test with cgminer running - Fail
Turn off CGMiner and retest - Works
Turn on CGMiner and test - Fails
Disable GPU with CGMiner running - Fail

Seriously? Why is CGMiner doing this?! im running 3.3.0, I guess i'll go update...

Edit: Updating to the most recent CGminer did not help
Pages:
Jump to: