Pages:
Author

Topic: [Brainstorm] Implications of Blacklisting DPR's Seized Bitcoins - page 4. (Read 4968 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Coffee makes it all better!
because, someone might think it delightfully evil to disallow the fedz to spend or exchange the confiscated bitcoin, rendering those coins worthless.  Cry Cheesy

Activity: 593
Merit: 505
Wherever I may roam
Apart from the fact that it would be a terrible idea for the whole Bitcoin environment, as fully discussed in many other threads on the same topic, I still wonder one thing... WHY one should do that? What's wrong with it? Why you should blacklist those coins?
They have been used in the commission of a crime (as recognised in almost every jurisdiction) and have been consequently seized. Full stop. What's your problem with that?
Activity: 896
Merit: 532
Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1032
RIP Mommy
Call James Spader.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
And how are you going to blacklist coins?
Activity: 151
Merit: 100
Fungibility is an extremely important property for bitcoin, as it is for all kinds of money! Take away fungibility and bitcoin is dead.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Horrible Idea. Bitcoins should be neutral forever and always. No matter how they are ill gained.
donator
Activity: 1464
Merit: 1047
I outlived my lifetime membership:)
If such a blacklisting scheme that worked were implemented, it would be used against us at best and would kill the value of Bitcoin at worst.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
You and several other people blacklist it and vow to never accept bitcoins from that address.

And the rest of us will accept them and they will propagate out to the whole network.

As I said before, it would be interesting to see what happens if the coins were sent TO MTGOX for exchange.  The US Government has taken Bitcoins from MTGOX via seizure. 
Activity: 359
Merit: 250
1) What are the implications of Bitcoin as a protocol as a whole if the seized coins are blacklisted?
Bitcoin would essentially be a complicated and inconvenient PayPal competitor.

Bitcoin needs to follow the rules of the Bitcoin network protocol for everyone, without exceptions.  Otherwise it's no different than a centrally controlled currency.
Rez
Activity: 132
Merit: 100
You don't.

That's how cash works.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
these coins are perfectly legit

the FBI won them fair and square.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
How can I blacklist all the $20's with traces of cocaine on? A lot of singles end up inside the panty of strippers. I need to find a way to blacklist them too. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
You and several other people blacklist it and vow to never accept bitcoins from that address.

And the rest of us will accept them and they will propagate out to the whole network.
legendary
Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006
1) What are the implications of Bitcoin as a protocol as a whole if the seized coins are blacklisted?
2) How does this affect the pending legal status of Bitcoin and its uses?
3) If they were blacklisted how would this be done? Would miners simply refuse transactions from these coins? Or could they be returned to the network in the least disruptive way?

Not actually advocating this, but its just been a thought that has been on my mind.
Pages:
Jump to: