Pages:
Author

Topic: B.Sc. Thesis: The threat of altcoins for Bitcoin's supremacy - page 2. (Read 211 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 246
I believe that bitcoin supremacy is not threatened, not in any significant way. Probably the main challenge is to identify where the strength of Bitcoin lies. And the obvious, or not so obvious answer is in the Bitcoin network and the people taking care of it. Look at its hash power, its stability, its uninterrupted operation.

Contrary to one may believe initially, Bitcoin's main strength is not in the code. Because the code is open source. Anyone can copy the code, change one or two things, and proclaim new coins. This we have seen in the past numerous times, starting with Litecoin, and so on.  

I struggle with direct comparison of some coins. Those largely based on the original BTC code (BCH, LTC) are rather easy to compare,

Sure, they are easy to compare because they are just a copy of BTC with minor modifications. But again, they don't have the strength of the Bitcoin network and its developers.

but with some, I struggle (EOS, IOTA).

They cannot really be compared, because their modus operandi is different. They have traded the decentralized, distributed features of bitcoin for a more centralized solution with increased transaction speed. But then again, we already have Visa if we want high throughput and high degree of centralization.

It’s pretty interesting to read the whitepapers (although it takes time as I study finance and not computer science...) but I can’t believe that there isn’t any material or comprehensive list out there where people compared the coins in terms of capabilities, speed and so on and did what I’m doing right now.

I haven't seen any that will contain a significant number of coins. There are lists, or something like infographics comparing 2,3, or several at the time. So when you have successfully compiled this list, don't forget to share it here.
Activity: 112
Merit: 0
It feels great when I see how people are engaging with crypto currency. However, as far as I'm concerned with Bitcoin, I don't think it will be a threat for the altcoins as the altcoins are growing independenly. But, altcoins need to have great potentials to deal or compete with Bitcon.
Activity: 182
I don't think Bitcoin has much supremacy over other altcoins. Otherwise, altcoins like Ethereum, Litecoins wouldn't have such growth in the market. Though, it sometimes affects the price of other cryptos. But, it can be considered as a normal phenomenon.
Activity: 5
Fellow crypto-enthusiasts

I need your help. I am currently writing my thesis (B.Sc.) about cryptocurrencies (as you probably guessed) and am struggling with getting some of the information I’d like to include.

Overall, my work consists of market- and coin-analysis to determine how Bitcoin’s supremacy is (or isn't) more and more threatened by altcoins since 2017 in regards to its core function as a currency (i.e. excluding tokens and smart contract stuff features that go beyond financial functionalities) and while there’s enough literature on market behavior itself (price determinants, volatility and apparently even strong market efficiency...), I struggle with direct comparison of some coins. Those largely based on the original BTC code (BCH, LTC) are rather easy to compare, but with some, I struggle (EOS, IOTA). And even with coins like BCH I’m not completely confident in my work. Is the sole relevant difference really the block size or am I missing something?

It’s pretty interesting to read the whitepapers (although it takes time as I study finance and not computer science...) but I can’t believe that there isn’t any material or comprehensive list out there where people compared the coins in terms of capabilities, speed and so on and did what I’m doing right now. I'm also open to engage in any discussion besides maybe one or two useful links that I'm hoping for as this topic is equally interesting and challenging, especially since I have a personal stake in this as well and rode the hypetrain all the way for the last two years.
Pages:
Jump to: