Pages:
Author

Topic: [BT3] 5,000 Testnet Bitcoin bounty for Bitcoin Testnet Pool - page 2. (Read 2564 times)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
^^ 1 tBTC was from me   Smiley

I sent you the bounty! Thanks! I'm mining away happily!

I got that, many thanks, has given me a healthy balance to use. Smiley

I'm glad the pool has been working well, I'm happy to leave it running for a while longer.

It's on a pretty good server, so it's not cheap to run. Any other donations (BTC, LTC, YAC) are greatly appreciated - I'll add some donation links on the pool stats pages. If anyone finds it useful and fancies being generous, feel free  Grin

Well thank you Smiley

I'm glad the pool has been working well, I'm happy to leave it running for a while longer.

It's on a pretty good server, so it's not cheap to run. Any other donations (BTC, LTC, YAC) are greatly appreciated - I'll add some donation links on the pool stats pages. If anyone finds it useful and fancies being generous, feel free  Grin

If I remember where on my network I installed my YAK wallet I'll send you a few Smiley
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Can someone send me something to see if i have my wallet setup right? 
n1SjFzS8o98GtQAQgPouBSgFCiK9mGawwe
Thanks
Shitcoin Maximalist

I'm glad the pool has been working well, I'm happy to leave it running for a little while longer.

Ok, rabbit. I'll bite. This seems like a fun activity vs. mining 'the coin of the day'. Would you mind tossing me a few coins to make sure I set up the testnet wallet correctly:
mphbYoY6wLb4MqNZnKSLos6Xqi8HK4Lv1W
Thx

Thx Rabbit, seems to be working fine. Throwing a few MH at the pool for fun.
Ok, rabbit. I'll bite. This seems like a fun activity vs. mining 'the coin of the day'. Would you mind tossing me a few coins to make sure I set up the testnet wallet correctly:
mphbYoY6wLb4MqNZnKSLos6Xqi8HK4Lv1W
Thx
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
I've put a p2pool pool up, happy to leave it running on BT3 for some time. Will be a good opportunity to tune the p2pool server if I can get a few people using it!  Smiley

Server: mine.procrypto.com
Port: 19332
Stats: http://mine.procrypto.com:19332/static/
Username:
Password: (doesn't matter)

Coins will end up at your address as if you'd solo mined them.

legendary
Yay, testnet will be even more difficult to use, congratulations guys!  Roll Eyes

Actually that's not true. Thanks to https://github.com/freewil/bitcoin-testnet-box anyone can build a testnet as they wish. So by encouraging miners on testnet we don't harm any projects. Anyone can have their stable difficulty testnet.

If you were are the conference this past weekend you would have seen that the view of testnet is changing. That it should be a staging ground for more exotic bitcoin features that are too cutting edge to risk on the main network. There is a growin concensous that testnet bitcoins need to have some nominal value so as to incentivize people to try more exotic applications- be it trying to steal through OP-EVAL codes, scripting or hacking projects. Now that testnet in a box is out there, people can have a stable testnet whenever they want, but to really test bitcoins 'final frontier' features, we need to assign coins some sort of value so as that people are incentivized to try harder to build, steal, develop, conquer.

I said this a while ago and got slammed.

Well maybe it's time to change things. Although to be clear, I think it's more important that we focus on experimenting with Testnet- building things rather then focusing solely focusing on value. This probably won't please the pump-and-dump coin crowd, but then again if you are into crypto long-run I think it makes sense to try and direct your energies towards something that feeds back into bitcoin.
legendary
Sure, and there was talk about this at the Conference and even on the bitcoin development email list.

Post your source for this?

Isn't that the source in and of itself? :-)

EDIT: Part of the conversation:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=201305200712.19206.luke%40dashjr.org&forum_name=bitcoin-development
legendary
so what wallet I use for this? I got nothing better to do anyways.

Well you can run your bitcoin client normally in testnet mode- and you can use that.

You can learn about testnet here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Testnet

Otherwise in your bitcoin config file you can set testnet=1

Activity: 672
Merit: 501
so what wallet I use for this? I got nothing better to do anyways.
legendary
and then they reset testnet and it's all gone? 

Nope, not true. We can all stay on BT3 (Bitcoin Testnet Three) as long as we want. If they reset testnet, it would be testnet four, and we wouldn't have to switch to it unless we wanted to.
legendary
Yay, testnet will be even more difficult to use, congratulations guys!  Roll Eyes

Actually that's not true. Thanks to https://github.com/freewil/bitcoin-testnet-box anyone can build a testnet as they wish. So by encouraging miners on testnet we don't harm any projects. Anyone can have their stable difficulty testnet.

If you were are the conference this past weekend you would have seen that the view of testnet is changing. That it should be a staging ground for more exotic bitcoin features that are too cutting edge to risk on the main network. There is a growin concensous that testnet bitcoins need to have some nominal value so as to incentivize people to try more exotic applications- be it trying to steal through OP-EVAL codes, scripting or hacking projects. Now that testnet in a box is out there, people can have a stable testnet whenever they want, but to really test bitcoins 'final frontier' features, we need to assign coins some sort of value so as that people are incentivized to try harder to build, steal, develop, conquer.
Shitcoin Maximalist
Had a little think about this.

Would it make sense to have a Bitcoin Testnet pool, with the donation set at 50-75% going funding a faucet located on the same page as the pool?

If a user wants some Testnet coins, they can either use the faucet (25 tBTC a hit), or mine and at the same time replenish the faucet for others. We could also have encourage faucet users to return unused tBTC to the balance, like this Testnet faucet. Thoughts?
Shitcoin Maximalist
I'm not trying to make things difficult, or wind up with a bunch of coins I hope might have tradable value (I appreciate that defeats the object of testnet). I'd just like a small stash for future app development.

I had problems getting testnet coins solo mining a few days ago, so when crazy_rabbit asked, I was able to oblige with a pool quite quickly as I had already played with p2pool on testnet in my attempts to generate some.

I'm also pleased for the opportunity to tweak the p2pool server under some kind of load (YAC mining isn't really putting it through its paces).

If it proves to be a huge problem I'm happy to turn things off. Smiley Alternatively, we could encourage anyone who needs some testnet coins to join the pool.

edit: had to restart it, timestamps of blocks were off. Deleted the p2pool testnet data directory, and it seems to be working fine now.
legendary
Activity: 1038
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin entrepreneur and Pro Trader
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
www.bitcointrading.com
and then they reset testnet and it's all gone? 
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1257
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1001
Sure, and there was talk about this at the Conference and even on the bitcoin development email list.

Post your source for this?
legendary
Could this become an alt-coin in it's own right then, and have an associated trading value?

Sure, and there was talk about this at the Conference and even on the bitcoin development email list. Think of it as a chance to have a coin that performs like bitcoin where we can test out more exotic ideas without worrying about screweing something up with bitcoin. Exchanges could have bitcoin exchanges and testnet exchanges- where the testnet exchanges could experiment with cutting edge ideas like colored coins or OP-EVAL codes and scripting.
Pages:
Jump to: