Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC-E now having largest daily trading volume - page 2. (Read 3743 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 100
I'm personally hoping Kraken can seriously catch up soon and start offering margin trading. Where did you get this info and how far back are Kraken?

Mark

kraken are great, but the fact they are based in the united states is keeping a lot of people away from them.

This may be a stupid question, but I'm kind of new. Why would people rather use BTC-e in some mystery part of Eastern Europe than Kraken in the US? I personally think BTC-e are great and actually use all available brokers, but I would have thought the influx of new people would have been attracted to Kraken by it's "shiny" interface and a perceived level of "trustworthiness". I have been wondering this for a while now.

Its only a mystery to you because you are in the US. Kraken would be a mystery to people in Eastern Europe. They have cash as well you know.

Why do you perceive Kraken as being trustworthy? How long have they been in operation?

Actually I'm in the UK and as I said I personally have no problem using Kraken, BTC-e, Bitfinex and Mt Gox. I have my own opinions of those different exchanges, their ease of use, their accessibility and their trustworthiness...but I was not really stating my own opinions. Notice I was talking about people's "perceived level of trustworthiness", not necessarily my own. I was not being disparaging of people in Eastern Europe either, I have many relatives and friends in Eastern Europe. What I was saying was that I find it surprising that volume on Kraken has not picked up quicker because I believe that a lot of people new into Bitcoin would see Kraken as an attractive option. I'm aware that reputation is often the most selling point of a broker/exchange...I have been involved with FX trading for a long time and have seen the reputations of brokers rise and fall for various reasons. In my opinion you can't underestimate the draw of a "shiny" website and a even a hint of a base of operations in a large American city, London...or any of the traditional European financial cities such as Zurich or Stuttgart. It is only right that people weigh up an exchange's integrity and risk levels for themselves before they place their fiat or BTC in their accounts.
Activity: 613
Merit: 500
Mintcoin: Get some
They also just recently added a the PPC/USD trading pair for Peercoin, currently the 3rd largest crypto.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
Speaking as a regular user of the named "Russian mob" Grin exchange, it also enjoys success because it's good. They were an early-adopting litecoin exchange, and also offer seamless fiat crosses (I've never attempted to deposit or draw fiat from them though, which sounds awkward at best).

It seems that a lot of Russian oligarchs who lost their money in Cyprus are now backing Bitcoin. And BTC-E is effectively run by these people, and since they have connections higher up, the users will not face much difficulties.
Activity: 518
I'm personally hoping Kraken can seriously catch up soon and start offering margin trading. Where did you get this info and how far back are Kraken?

Mark

kraken are great, but the fact they are based in the united states is keeping a lot of people away from them.

This may be a stupid question, but I'm kind of new. Why would people rather use BTC-e in some mystery part of Eastern Europe than Kraken in the US? I personally think BTC-e are great and actually use all available brokers, but I would have thought the influx of new people would have been attracted to Kraken by it's "shiny" interface and a perceived level of "trustworthiness". I have been wondering this for a while now.

Its only a mystery to you because you are in the US. Kraken would be a mystery to people in Eastern Europe. They have cash as well you know.

Why do you perceive Kraken as being trustworthy? How long have they been in operation?
Activity: 90
Merit: 10
Right now the first exchange by trading volume is okcoin
http://btckan.com/price

Activity: 353
Merit: 253
The fairly low flat 0.2% transaction fee also helps.

Definitely. With Gox charging 0.6%, that's massive when coins are costing so much. Great point.

Also the fact that they don't require you to declare your identity.

Best regards,
ilpirata79
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Annuit cœptis humanae libertas
Speaking as a regular user of the named "Russian mob" Grin exchange, it also enjoys success because it's good. They were an early-adopting litecoin exchange, and also offer seamless fiat crosses (I've never attempted to deposit or draw fiat from them though, which sounds awkward at best).
legendary
Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001
Also Russia's biggest bank has come out in support of virtual currencies.

http://www.coindesk.com/ceo-russian-sberbank-endorses-virtual-currencies/

I also think this is a factor that also helps makes BTC-E one the most solid exchanges going forward.

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
That's very impressive. Anyone know what has lead to the rise of btc-e?

ROFLMAO. Actually it is not the rise of the BTC-E. It is due to the decline of the other exchanges.

BTC China volume has declined by more than 50%, and Mt Gox has also declined considerably. BTC-E is having near-100% market share in the CIS nations (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus.etc) and the volumes haven't changed much. Also, I have heard that BTC-E is keen on expanding to China.

why is there only one exchange for eastern europe Huh ? or maybe i dont know the others...

Use kraken, it's the best.
I think btc-e is based in Bulgaria actually but same ball park.

btc-e is probably registered in Bulgaria, but de-facto they are in Russia

Mark

Activity: 47
Merit: 0
BTC-E is great in terms of being a fully functional quick exchange that accepts a wide variety of payment sources and also has a real-time chat room which although trolly at times is fairly novel and interesting to watch from a speculative perspective.

BTC-e trollbox archive: http://trollboxarchive.com/

Definitely. With Gox charging 0.6%, that's massive when coins are costing so much. Great point.
Activity: 168
BTC-E is great in terms of being a fully functional quick exchange that accepts a wide variety of payment sources and also has a real-time chat room which although trolly at times is fairly novel and interesting to watch from a speculative perspective. I know some people are worried that it is based in Russia but I think that it certainly the best option right now. The decline of Mt. Gox seemed inevitable their servers sucked and their costs of transferring money were expensive and their means of transferring funds were too few.

"trolly at times" - there's an understatement to top them all Smiley but it is fun to watch for 15 mins.

Gox is also declining because you just can't get cash out of there easily. Who's ever heard of an exchange that takes months to process outgoing wires. Rearrange the following: "foot shooting the in yourself "

I think btc-e is based in Bulgaria actually but same ball park.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
BTC-E is great in terms of being a fully functional quick exchange that accepts a wide variety of payment sources and also has a real-time chat room which although trolly at times is fairly novel and interesting to watch from a speculative perspective. I know some people are worried that it is based in Russia but I think that it certainly the best option right now. The decline of Mt. Gox seemed inevitable their servers sucked and their costs of transferring money were expensive and their means of transferring funds were too few.
Activity: 546
hm
That's very impressive. Anyone know what has lead to the rise of btc-e?

ROFLMAO. Actually it is not the rise of the BTC-E. It is due to the decline of the other exchanges.

BTC China volume has declined by more than 50%, and Mt Gox has also declined considerably. BTC-E is having near-100% market share in the CIS nations (Russia, Ukraine, Belarus.etc) and the volumes haven't changed much. Also, I have heard that BTC-E is keen on expanding to China.

why is there only one exchange for eastern europe Huh ? or maybe i dont know the others...

bitstamp is in slovenia so I'm sure they server eastern europe as well. btc-e seems to have found a great niche i.e. people trading litecoins when other exchanges have ignored them, even when (mtgox for example) promised to support them.

+1
I buy and sell bitcoins via bitcoin.de, but I used btc-e, too, because there I can change btc to fiat instantly and buy other cryptos reliable (not like cryptsy, which cannot handle the traffic).

Mark

Note to self. Don't start up bitcoin exchange in US.
Activity: 308
Merit: 251
Giga

Mark

December 17, 2013, 01:28:01 PM

Mark
Pages:
Jump to: