Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC funds dissapeared from my Electrum Wallet - page 2. (Read 297 times)

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
Is there any way to figure out where that the receiving BTC address was created?
No.
The only information we have about that address is that it was first used on March 9, it has received only 1 transaction and there is no outgoing transaction made from that. Nothing more.

In the case the fund which was stolen from you is sent to a custodial service like an exchange in the future, it may be possible to know which exchange the fund has been sent to.
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 4911
https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC
Is there any way to figure out where that the receiving BTC address was created? As in which wallet? country maybe. Just curious...

not really.... Unless the person that generated said adress used a custodial web wallet (or exchange) and didn't use a vpn or tor... You don't have to register addresses, you can generate addresses 100% offline if you want to, and the address will only be known if somebody funds it.

EDIT: just wanted to add that even IF the person generating the address used a custodial wallet, YOU still don't know anything about him/her... But the owner of the custodial service does know a little bit about him/her, especially if KYC info was given or if no vpn/tor was used... But you don't even know if the user used a custodial wallet to begin with.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
Is there any way to figure out where that the receiving BTC address was created? As in which wallet? country maybe. Just curious...
Activity: 266
Merit: 119
Keep Promises !
~

The reasonable explanation  to this is that your seed phrase  or its  backup had been compromised or your computer is completely  compromised .  You need to be careful  on how you allow people  to access  your computer

It doesn't seem like the funds have moved anywhere else either. How about your seed? do you have it physically stored somewhere safe? or is it on some online cloud storage)? If the latter, then that could be an issue.

The seed is saved on a text file, on a linux virtual machine which runs on a server which is at my home. I'm the only one who has access to that server. I do have notifications when someone tries to connect via SSH to the server no matter from where. I'm using that server for years and never something like his happened. This is really really weird.

I do not store stuff like this in the cloud. The seed is saved on an encrypted partition using BestCrypt. I'm using this type of partition for the last 5-6 years or more. The only way I see here is that somehow there's some sort of malware on my iMac or some clipboard copier or whatever but I can't figure out how to check that
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
If you didn't make that transaction, either someone had access to your seed phrase or your wallet was hacked.
Take note that any online device is prone to hacking and it's possible that your device is infected with a malware.

Don't use your device for receiving any fund anymore until you format your hard drive and reinstall your operating system.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
In addition to what OmegaStarScream posted already

This is one of the reasons I use passphrase to extend my seed phrase in a way my coins can not just be easily stolen also through offline attack. Hope your seed phrase is not compromised offline where you store the backup?

Also you do not have to believe in antivirus. Avoid malware instead. Probably malware can cause it.
staff
Activity: 3402
Merit: 6065
It doesn't seem like the funds have moved anywhere else either. How about your seed? do you have it physically stored somewhere safe? or is it on some online cloud storage)? If the latter, then that could be an issue.
So I had an old electrum wallet with some funds in it. I have recently created a new electrum wallet on my iMac running MacOS Sonoma. The Electrum wallet was downloaded from their official website, I have double checked that. On 7th of March I have transferred those funds in this new wallet, address: bc1q99qq2awpvu72mrs7gng84dkzyxcxk3q5gfwkx8

Then the funds were transferred mysteriously on 9th of March, to an address I do know nor does it belong to me. The address is: bc1q5chaqcn56sk2fq29z3cl37n5pfzhh06e2gx5uz and the tx id is: 85918ae49e2e40ee1ec481be089bebf929f7769c4247e03c8856140df3c2f0d6

My computer is protected by a password and I'm the only one knowing the password. Also the wallet file was protected by a password and again nobody knows that password. I'm using ESET antivirus on my computer with real time scanning. So on the 9th of March, at 20:42 the transaction was initiated and my funds were transferred. I was not at home at that time, the wallet was closed. I have not shared with anyone that wallet nor did I use the wallet address on any website.

I know that probably the funds are lost for good, I'm just trying to find a reasonable explanation for this.

Any help is kindly appreciated. If any of you has any way of recovering those funds, I'm ready to split the 50/50 the entire amount (which was around 6K USD).
Pages:
Jump to: