Pages:
Author

Topic: BTC Retrieval (Not BS) - page 2. (Read 356 times)

legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 3037
BTC price road to $80k
June 18, 2021, 08:35:34 AM
So you mean that the harddrive is not spinning even you connect them to another PC?

If that's the case you will need a professional recovery service to recover from your old hard drive I'm sure it will need to replace a new hard drive board or repair the hard drive and maybe the pins are stuck that prevent the disk from spinning.

You can do that on yourself if you know how to disassemble the hard drive to repair the stuck heads there are many videos on youtube about this.
Or you can buy a new hard drive with the same model/unit and take the disk from your HDD and put it on your new hard drive.

Once the HDD fixed you can now access the drive and look for wallet.dat file that is the file that you need to recover your old wallet.
Activity: 7
Merit: 5
June 18, 2021, 03:36:19 AM
Hi all
New to the forum and wasn't even sure where to start with all this!

I'm in search of some information on bitcoin retrieval from the early days. I'm pretty noob!

Back in the period of around late 2010/early 2011 I used to frequent /g/ and other online IT forums and there was a bit of a buzz around bitcoin at the time in these small communities. So I decided to give it a go myself. All I remember at the time was jumping onto a mining client and leaving the computer running overnight. My memory of the time is very vague and I don't remember setting up everything specifically, just that I would leave it on overnight to mine then stop it in the morning. I probably did this for maybe 2 weeks, possibly more, then decided it wasn't doing much for me. Maybe 6 months later my hard drive stopped working, wouldn't spin up and it's been sitting in dry storage since. So 10 years or so.

I wouldn't mind trying to see if I can get a professional data recovery done on the drive and see whats happening on it. I don't even remember if I did a wipe and reinstall at some stage but I doubt it. What's the chances of finding meaningful bitcoin data? I have no idea what my private key is, whether I stored it on there or not. Or if it's possible that it's stored on the mining client? I never "cashed in" any coins, just mined and left it. I'm sure I would have linked it to a wallet? Any advice guys? Is it lost forever?

Cheers
Pages:
Jump to: