Pages:
Author

Topic: BTCSYN reports a $12k (1,852 BTC) theft - page 2. (Read 3865 times)

donator
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
How convenient! This has been pulled far too many times in this community.

Feel the same.  If you don't protect/change your passwords and don't have a 2 step auth in place.  I'm not investing with you.  You aren't responsible enough to have my bitcoin.  Period.

The only surprising thing for me is that their bond price hasn't tanked.
I don't think you understand what he's implying.

It is indistinguishable whether the owner has transferred the funds out or they have actually been stolen by someone else. Standard procedure would be to just ignore the news and demand the funds back regardless -- and that's where it gets uncomfortable.
Spot on! Thank you for clarifying.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Wat
This is complete bullshit.

Activity: 574
July 07, 2012, 07:09:21 PM
It's too convenient.
Activity: 991
July 07, 2012, 06:39:49 PM
I also got ~60$ in BTC stolen from me on Mt.Gox. I regrettably used a common password between my websites, do any of you think that bitcointalk is being SQLi'd?
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1002
July 07, 2012, 05:58:11 PM

Feel the same.  If you don't protect/change your passwords and don't have a 2 step auth in place.  I'm not investing with you.  You aren't responsible enough to have my bitcoin.  Period.

I don't think you understand what he's implying.

It is indistinguishable whether the owner has transferred the funds out or they have actually been stolen by someone else. Standard procedure would be to just ignore the news and demand the funds back regardless -- and that's where it gets uncomfortable.
Activity: 826
July 07, 2012, 05:16:39 PM

I think trading has stopped on GLBSE for it, because people were getting errors trying to sell/buy before they made the posting about the loss.
Activity: 322
July 07, 2012, 05:13:54 PM

Activity: 139
Merit: 100
July 07, 2012, 04:38:42 PM
password It was re-used on 3-4 sites only, and most of those are full financial institutions.

thing that got me was reusing passwords and no google auth or yubikey

+1

The coins are sitting at 13HLqK2p7xwcxRQomKUyzXzsS2PCm1eAde  if anyone wants to watch for them.
donator
Activity: 308
July 07, 2012, 04:35:10 PM
Activity: 826
July 07, 2012, 04:30:40 PM
I just saw it.

password It was re-used on 3-4 sites only, and most of those are full financial institutions.

thing that got me was reusing passwords and no google auth or yubikey
Activity: 139
Merit: 100
July 07, 2012, 04:23:46 PM
If there are any BTCSYN investors that haven't seen the announcement of the theft on their forums, please see: http://forum.btcsyn.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=84

In summary, $12189 USD was sitting on the founder's MtGox account waiting for a mining hardware purchase and was transferred to BTC and withdrawn in the night. At the moment the symbol is frozen on GLBSE.
Pages:
Jump to: