Pages:
Author

Topic: Building Cheap Miners : My "Secret" - page 25. (Read 60219 times)

Activity: 1179
Merit: 131
February 28, 2018, 06:32:23 PM
For those running the 5775r/5575rs and are having the hashrate drop issue: I am now running multiples of each of these (6 of the i5, 4 of the i7) and I have found that the i5 tends to drop 3-5 while the i7s will drop 100-200 in 24 hrs. My i5s will run for weeks without losing much, the i7s will need xmr-stak restarted most days. Not a huge problem, mind, but I assume it's related to the virtual cores, as the way I have them set up overheating isn't an issue. If anyone has found a solution (beyond writing a reboot script based on hashrate, which I am planning to get to), let me know.

I can't remember if I posted this on this thread or not but I opened up an issue regarding this a few weeks ago.  Frustrating that the dev hasn't acknowledged it.  https://github.com/fireice-uk/xmr-stak/issues/1046

Activity: 17
Merit: 0
February 28, 2018, 03:02:42 AM
My 5th mining rack of PCs is nearly done... and soon will have two racks (24 systems) of the Dell servers running.

Probably will be another week to get the last 12 of the Dell systems going... and then starting on my 6th rack of PCs... I have enough GPUs to do close to 75% of the 6th rack.
any update man?  Wink
Activity: 434
Merit: 52
February 27, 2018, 01:47:34 AM
For those running the 5775r/5575rs and are having the hashrate drop issue: I am now running multiples of each of these (6 of the i5, 4 of the i7) and I have found that the i5 tends to drop 3-5 while the i7s will drop 100-200 in 24 hrs. My i5s will run for weeks without losing much, the i7s will need xmr-stak restarted most days. Not a huge problem, mind, but I assume it's related to the virtual cores, as the way I have them set up overheating isn't an issue. If anyone has found a solution (beyond writing a reboot script based on hashrate, which I am planning to get to), let me know.
Activity: 714
Merit: 512
February 22, 2018, 07:46:17 PM
My 5th mining rack of PCs is nearly done... and soon will have two racks (24 systems) of the Dell servers running.

Probably will be another week to get the last 12 of the Dell systems going... and then starting on my 6th rack of PCs... I have enough GPUs to do close to 75% of the 6th rack.
February 22, 2018, 07:44:21 PM
Putting server in rack will safe space. So you can adding more server.

For me space is a non-issue -- my overall building is 100,000  ft^2 -- but yes, if space was a premium I would have looked into the standard server racks.
February 22, 2018, 07:43:30 PM
Awesome job... Just one question.. Do you have air conditioning in this place? I think I will be necessary. The wood panels do not help..

I do not have AC but I will be installing a large 48" fan to intake air and several other fans to blow air out into the main warehouse space... at the opposite side of the building we have several 48" exhaust fans already that will create a nice airflow through my mining room.
February 22, 2018, 07:42:26 PM
I'm installing a main lug in my basement to bring in 240v for my antminer a3.  I just popped open my main breaker for the first time and I can say without a doubt I wish the electrician who did the initial wiring would have made it as organized as yours did hahaha.

Also, why are you using shelving instead of racks?  Seems like some racks and pdus would take up much less room.

Probably cost.  From the looks of the pictures, he has lots and lots of empty space in his warehouse.  Those shelving units are probably around $100 a piece or so.  Way cheaper than even used racks.

I'm using similar racks because I had a ton of them from my prior business.

You can get 42U frames on ebay for $100. I'm going that route.

Keep in mind though, you'll need rack mount kits for those servers.  If the servers don't come with them, you won't be able to drop the servers into the rack.

Indeed. I chose not to get rack mount kits with my servers to save on the price (they gave me a discount for that).

Also... all of my other racks are this type so I wanted to keep it uniform #OCD -- plus if I sell off all my mining gear I will simply use these racks elsewhere in my warehouse.
Activity: 29
Merit: 1
February 20, 2018, 11:45:14 AM
Lastimp: When you get time to mess with it again, if you don't mind, let me know what you are doing to get better hashrates. I tried lots of things, but could not get what you are getting.
Activity: 118
Merit: 10
February 20, 2018, 03:37:14 AM
Why Cryptonight on 1070ti's? There are double-tripple more $ on Equihash or NeoScrypt.

@sundownz
Have you overview on cpu and hashrate and wattage from each of your cpu's? And in which plattform they are.
Have 2 HP Proliant DL385 G7's everything is working perfect except I cannot for the life of my figure out have to get them to
connect to the network. Lan or Wan just trying to run an OS from a thumbdrive to mine with the CPU's no luck with anything
Ubuntu or any of the standard ones. Been through every bios setting, anyone have any idea why I can not get this thing on
the network, I am sure it is something simple and stupid, have years of experience with computer, linux and trouble shooting
but right now I am out of ideas. Any help is appreciated.

Are you plugged into the iLo port or an actual network port?  If you noticed there are FIVE Ethernet jacks on the back of the server.  iLo port is also Ethernet but it will not get you on the network.  It is access to the subsystem that runs before the server actually boots an OS which gives you full control for monitoring, remote deployment etc.  Looking from the back, you should be plugged into the furthest network jack to the right, labeled #1.

Also, that box is going to pull more wattage than produce hash.  Only 61xx series Opterons with no AES in that box.

Thank you for the reply, I already figured it out, I was trying to run HIVE OS to mine off a thumb drive assuming they were using ubuntu as a base os, apperently not or at least not the full version, HIVE OS apperently doesn't have a nic driver for the DL385 as soon as I loaded Ubuntu Desktop I pulled an ip. Also I am not to worried about the watts its pulls, I am mining cryptonight at 800+ h/s with the dual 6220 cpus and running 4 1070tis of a usb splitter powered by the free extra 750watt psu it came with for another 2.1 k/sols. Thing hardly pulls 700watts at the wall.
February 20, 2018, 01:43:09 AM
"I am mining cryptonight at 800+ h/s with the dual 6220 cpus"

Hmm. Best I could get was about 660 mining Monero with XMR-stak (no GPUS in it or attached to it). But I had Win7 pro on my 385.

Yah, if i could get 800, I would put it back in service.
Activity: 176
February 19, 2018, 02:05:15 PM
Ah, the spec sheet only listed 6100 series for that box.  Hrm, I have one of those.  I might have to find some CPUs Smiley
February 18, 2018, 11:08:02 PM
The DL385s with the AMD 6220 does have AES, but seriously eats watts. Not cost effective right now.
February 18, 2018, 07:23:06 PM
After killing myself for the last 24 hours troubleshooting 2 r815's I picked up, I have learned a thing or two.

If the cover is not on the box, it will not produce full power.  Board will limit CPU power evident by power drawn at plug and performance in hash.  I chased my tail for quite a bit yesterday and today until I figured it out.  I got the servers Friday and only had enough memory on hand to get 2 cpu's running in one box.  I saw appropriate hash numbers on it.  Since I got 2 different speed CPUs for testings on the boxes, I tried the other set in dual mode and also saw the appropriate numbers.  I then noticed the 50 memory sticks I ordered had arrived yesterday afternoon and rushed to get the boxes fully up and running.  Since I had so many issues with memory population with the 1GB UDIMMS and even various 2GB RDIMMS I have, I had left the covers off and then could not figure out WhyTF in 4 cpu configs, I was down on power by 500H/s.  They are also very picky about the memory that goes in them.  Memory that works fine on other boxes comes up as failures on the r815s.

You must populate 16 DIMM slots.  If they aren't all the same size, you will have an annoying F1 key to push everything the box boots, I have not found a way around that yet.  The box will boot with 8 sticks but multiple threads will not have hwloc bind memory so performance will be garbage.

You will also get a slightly higher hash rate (100H/s or so) by disabling the gui and running from CLI only.

These things run great off 16GB usb flash drives.  

le sigh...  Cheesy
February 18, 2018, 04:26:20 PM
Have 2 HP Proliant DL385 G7's everything is working perfect except I cannot for the life of my figure out have to get them to
connect to the network. Lan or Wan just trying to run an OS from a thumbdrive to mine with the CPU's no luck with anything
Ubuntu or any of the standard ones. Been through every bios setting, anyone have any idea why I can not get this thing on
the network, I am sure it is something simple and stupid, have years of experience with computer, linux and trouble shooting
but right now I am out of ideas. Any help is appreciated.

Are you plugged into the iLo port or an actual network port?  If you noticed there are FIVE Ethernet jacks on the back of the server.  iLo port is also Ethernet but it will not get you on the network.  It is access to the subsystem that runs before the server actually boots an OS which gives you full control for monitoring, remote deployment etc.  Looking from the back, you should be plugged into the furthest network jack to the right, labeled #1.

Also, that box is going to pull more wattage than produce hash.  Only 61xx series Opterons with no AES in that box.
Activity: 20
February 13, 2018, 08:08:15 PM
Putting server in rack will safe space. So you can adding more server. Is it loud if you running cpuminer software with full load (mean use all threads available)? I'm trying cpu miner on supermicro. Lucky they have setting low speed fan so i can use all threads on each core in server. Right now test with 2 x Xeon E5-2683 v4.
Activity: 198
February 13, 2018, 07:46:26 PM
Awesome job... Just one question.. Do you have air conditioning in this place? I think I will be necessary. The wood panels do not help..
Activity: 7
February 13, 2018, 06:59:34 PM
I'm installing a main lug in my basement to bring in 240v for my antminer a3.  I just popped open my main breaker for the first time and I can say without a doubt I wish the electrician who did the initial wiring would have made it as organized as yours did hahaha.

Also, why are you using shelving instead of racks?  Seems like some racks and pdus would take up much less room.

Probably cost.  From the looks of the pictures, he has lots and lots of empty space in his warehouse.  Those shelving units are probably around $100 a piece or so.  Way cheaper than even used racks.

Keep in mind though, you'll need rack mount kits for those servers.  If the servers don't come with them, you won't be able to drop the servers into the rack.
Activity: 1118
Merit: 541
February 11, 2018, 11:44:52 PM
I'm installing a main lug in my basement to bring in 240v for my antminer a3.  I just popped open my main breaker for the first time and I can say without a doubt I wish the electrician who did the initial wiring would have made it as organized as yours did hahaha.

Also, why are you using shelving instead of racks?  Seems like some racks and pdus would take up much less room.

Probably cost.  From the looks of the pictures, he has lots and lots of empty space in his warehouse.  Those shelving units are probably around $100 a piece or so.  Way cheaper than even used racks.

February 11, 2018, 10:41:06 PM

February 11, 2018, 10:39:21 PM

I didn't end up going after it as I can't get enough GPUs to justify it. Just been snapping up the cheapest Z400s on e-bay.

But yes it is 3-phase 240v coming in broken out to 120v circuits.

I think the entire pallet went for like $4,300 or so which is like $123 per unit and you don't know condition so probably not worth it anyways.

May I ask why only 120v circuits?  If you are deploying new, why didn't you run 240v circuits to the machines for higher density with lower amp draw?  From what I can see, it looks like you had them add a 200a panel but then put in like 30 20a circuits with six of them being tandem (cheater) breakers.  That's a total possible draw of 720a breaker wise but only in a 200a panel?

I've been deploying 20a 240v circuits and I terminate them with 2 15a 120v (each outlet getting a separate hot from the 240v circuit) and one L6-20R 20a 240v receptacles.  I then plug in a 16a 240v PDU that then powers all the big iron at 240v and allows me to have misc 120v items powered through the same circuit but through the 120v receptacles.  

If you are pulling 800w on the servers in yescrypt, at 120v that's getting close to 7a.  Technically that means 2 servers per breaker if you want to stay around 80% of line limit as 3 servers at full tilt should technically just about trip the breaker.  If it was 240, you could technically be powering 5 servers per breaker and be just over 80% load on the 20a circuit.

I'm sure you know all this, just curious as to the rationale behind the decision.  If you ever get a chance to respond to my PM, it would be appreciated!  Obviously you've been busy!
Pages:
Jump to: