Pages:
Author

Topic: Bulgaria Government Shocked To Discover It Owns $3 Billion In Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 1004 times)

Activity: 253
Merit: 250
In bitcoin Balkans trust. Some countries seriously interest cryptocurrencies such as Bulgaria, especially Estonia. As some economists say an economic expansion is needed to fight with economical crisis. Crypto s could be a solution maybe
Had some countries been wise, they would have been able to make money by investing in bitcoins by now, they could have established mining factories where they would have mined it and thus have gotten money for some developments in the country.

You mean like Bulgaria?! Cheesy

Think about this... the population of Bulgaria is only ~7 million. Therefore the government made enough money for $420 per person. And lots of people are wealthy and don't need that, so they could give $1,000 to the poorest 35% imagine how much better their country will be!

If they held the Bitcoins their country could become the richest one in the world.
Activity: 868
Merit: 266
In bitcoin Balkans trust. Some countries seriously interest cryptocurrencies such as Bulgaria, especially Estonia. As some economists say an economic expansion is needed to fight with economical crisis. Crypto s could be a solution maybe
Had some countries been wise, they would have been able to make money by investing in bitcoins by now, they could have established mining factories where they would have mined it and thus have gotten money for some developments in the country.
Activity: 280
Merit: 105
This news it quite positive. Governments may be scared of bitcoin, but in case like this they discover that having bitcoin they seized makes them actually wealthier. I would bet a lot of money that the Bulgarian Government is not going to pass any laws to forbid bitcoin, they are probably astonished.

Politicians usually go far behind innovations like this, but now they have to deal with it.

Or to the contrary they could now be thinking about how to be even stricter on bitcoin and especially in terms of corruption or money laundering so that they can cease a further amount and be in an ever better position. It will be funny when it turns out they don't have the private key for those coins!
When I read this title I just considered that wow dude such governments are so amazing that they are investing such bight amount in bitcoins. They are working better for their population but here the story is totally changed. Yes, they are making money and they even intend to do money laundering. Bitcoins will help them in such a case because they are decentralized and no one can reveal them out.

That would be truly awesome if they had invested in bitcoin, now that they've got all this new found extra wealth they may consider cryptocurrencies more in the future. I think in time we will see a major county really take a favouring to bitcoin and cryptocurrencies as a whole, right now Japan is leading the way but in time I think others will overtake them to be at the forefront.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1123
It's hilarious to think about the amount of times that people found an old address with a few 100-coins that used to be pennies a piece and then realizing that bitcoin is worth thousands of dollars a piece. It gives me greet joy to just picture all of the unsuspecting, overnight millionaires that bitcoin has picked like flowers around the world; whoever put it's faith in bitcoin has been rewarded handsomely, either monetarily or through the gratification of being correct about bitcoins success. Now, it seems that one of these outcomes is blatantly a better outcome, but not everyone can wake up a millionaire randomly so you've gotta choose your battles and take your speculation as a good lesson, do not miss the train when you're the one that sees it coming from a mile away.

The question becomes what is Bulgaria going to do with these coins? Do they plan to liquidate these coins and pay off some of their debt, invest in some infrastructure or something else that may benefit their people, country and overall situation? I think it may be smart for them to just hang onto their coins for now, you woke up with a money-tree, there is no reason to bonsai the tree, or to cut it short. This was a surprise to them and they should treat it with care, not like some careless lottery winner that wants to experience the finer things. Does anyone know if other governments hold a significant amount of coin, either through direct investment or through seizure of assets? These will probably be the governments that experience a really big jolt inn their economy in the coming years; before we know it we'll have every country running their own alt-coins because they all think it's just the next Fiat for them to control, print, tax, tariff, manipulate, distribute, legislate.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
If I read correctly Bulgaria can now pay 1/5 of own debt with discovered amount of bitcoin. Btc was taken by government as an act against corruption and it's value is estimated to 3.6$ billion. In my opinion this is clean robbery by Bulgarian gov. rather than confiscation of btc.

You are being stupid at this because anything that you confiscate become yours that means the bulgarian goverment has every right to use that money to pay their own debt or even to spend it overnight. It is from corruption of their own country so it is basically just taking their money backs from all those corruptors that corrupt with bitcoin
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
They have to hodl and wait 1 year, then they will be able to fully pay off the country's debt  Cheesy
Activity: 700
Merit: 252
If I read correctly Bulgaria can now pay 1/5 of own debt with discovered amount of bitcoin. Btc was taken by government as an act against corruption and it's value is estimated to 3.6$ billion. In my opinion this is clean robbery by Bulgarian gov. rather than confiscation of btc.
Activity: 652
Make winning bets on sports with Sportsbet.io!
That was shocking to know that Bulgaria is also involved in bitcoin .
Everyday such census comes from different countries and shock me . That indicates that the world is not that unaware of bitcoin though .
This would be ideal if they keep the bitcoins because the billion value may turn out to be doubled in future.
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
So, the question remains. Will the Bulgarian Government HODL and sit on 10b this time next year or would they just buy a bunch of alts and wait for a dip to buy BTC and make it 12b by this time next year?  Grin
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Even other countries may get more shocked when they would discover most of their money in bitcoins.It clearly shows that people are losing their trust in government issued currencies.They find bitcoin to be a safe haven.Even this amount would be very high if checked in US and other developed states.I think that they would dump it to recover the huge money.
Activity: 168
Merit: 10
There, blessing out of thin air for a country, people say Bitcoin has been used by criminals, they never say that governments bust them and take their Bitcoins, happy dumping Bulgarian government, happy dumping, who wouldn't?
Yes, governments seized bitcoin from people and when they discovers it is worth a lot of money government officials stole it for themselves in the name of the auctioning.
Activity: 364
Merit: 100
they know the development of bitcoin and they believe in bitcoin because bitcoin is a precious digital currency in the future they do not want to miss the opportunity to make its country become rich.
copper member
Activity: 434
Merit: 278
Offering Escrow 0.5 % fee
That price of BTC can influence the market to crash or rise, even though it is not easy to convert all of that coins in one day or two even if you own a business to prove that you have a money, a billion amount of fiat currency is not easy to pull from the government that is why Bitcoin have been accused to be an anti-money laundering.

P.S I hope that a small fraction of that money goes to charity work.  Grin
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
i wonder what Bulgaria government do with that BTC coin now
i hope you can update this news here

Now this is some news.
I really thought criminals were using more monero, dash and zcash.
Could this affect the price of bitcoin?
Do criminals really contribute to the very nice bitcoin price?
i do not know but everyone said that the first group use BTC is criminal and after that BTC  use by many people but i'm sure some bad group keep use it
maybe they will change to other coin because for security reason
maybe just like you said that monero, dash and zcash
still anonymious

There was a bloomberg article claiming 1,000 people own 40% of bitcoin which might have scared off investors.

This is a bit scary if it is true, and indeed a reason to shy away,
How true could this be?
i wonder if 1000 people or 1000 BTC address
because i've read about some top BTC address that hold BTC coin is exchanger not person
link please... want to know more details
legendary
Activity: 3038
Merit: 1350
213,519 bitcoins
That is a massive amount of bitcoin just for a country imagine if they don't discover that one I think criminals will enjoying and harvest right now. Yes, the question is what do the Bulgarian government do with that seized amount of bitcoins? Bulgarian government would be rich by now and bitcoin price would skyrocketing again.
US Government seized more bitcoin before but they put it into auction. I think Bulgarian government intended not to sell those coin from the start and just decided to keep it. Are they supporting bitcoin in their country?

I don't know if bitcoin is accepted in their country or what, but that's one huge bitcoin that they did discover. If I'm the government I would auctions those similar to what US did and put the money into something meaningful. They could utilized that huge amount, improved their citizens lives, build infrastructure, there's a lot that can really be done with that money.

Also, is it my imagination or is zerohedge assuming an anti crypto stance of late? It seems as if someone is pressuring ZH to publish news stories which criticize or attack bitcoin which is interesting.

Zerohedge has a varied output on crypto. I guess Zerohedge is a team and "Tyler Durden" is a bunch of people. Sometimes they say Bitcoin is the second coming of Jesus, other times they say it's the devil. It's pretty confused for anyone used to reading a website that only has one side.

What is a permanent is the comment section. It's filled with clueless old goldbugs that have been watching BTC fo up since the beginning, and they are still in denial.

Yes, Zerhedge has varied output about bitcoin and cryptos, but for me they are really more a "GOLD" nut hugger. And what's funny is that they will praise bitcoin in the first paragraph of their article, then lash at it at the end. LOL. And I don't think that they are pressured or something as OP might speculate, they have been like this for the last 6 months, so I assume they are anti crypto's to begin with and more of a Gold website.
Activity: 287
Merit: 102
This news it quite positive. Governments may be scared of bitcoin, but in case like this they discover that having bitcoin they seized makes them actually wealthier. I would bet a lot of money that the Bulgarian Government is not going to pass any laws to forbid bitcoin, they are probably astonished.

Politicians usually go far behind innovations like this, but now they have to deal with it.

Or to the contrary they could now be thinking about how to be even stricter on bitcoin and especially in terms of corruption or money laundering so that they can cease a further amount and be in an ever better position. It will be funny when it turns out they don't have the private key for those coins!
When I read this title I just considered that wow dude such governments are so amazing that they are investing such bight amount in bitcoins. They are working better for their population but here the story is totally changed. Yes, they are making money and they even intend to do money laundering. Bitcoins will help them in such a case because they are decentralized and no one can reveal them out.
Activity: 280
Merit: 105

Activity: 348
I think it will be keen to know what will be the next move of Bulgarian government upon bitcoins. It works different in the case of government and I think these seized bitcoins are going to stay seized for a long time as there will be number of discussions and meeting regarding its use. There are many options, they can opt for like selling all bitcoin at once  creating a storm in the market or they can auction the bitcoin at high prices and so on. I think they are likely to auction the bitcoin as funds like are most likely to generate revenue for once and country moves on.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1491
The first decentralized crypto betting platform

Activity: 322
Merit: 102
Bulgaria’s GDP is about $52.4 billion (2016), so it is quite a shock that the Bulgarian Government is sitting on an approximate $3 billion worth of Bitcoins seized in an anti-corruption operation back in May.

Putting this into a little more glaring context, Bulgaria is holding 18% of the national debt in bitcoins

Bulgarian law enforcement jointly worked with the Southeast European Law Enforcement Center (SELC), a regional organization comprised of 12 member states, to bust a sophisticated organized-crime network, arresting twenty-three Bulgarian nationals and seizing a total of 213,519 bitcoins.

SELC described the organized-crime scheme as the hacking of Bulgarian Custom’s computers and allowing those associated with the group to skip fees for importing goods into the country. To make it work, the group recruited corrupt Customs officers to upload a virus into government machines, so that hackers could establish remote access.

The organized criminal group consisted in Bulgarian nationals having connections in The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Hellenic Republic, Romania and Republic of Serbia. The modus operandi used was recruiting corrupted Customs officers in all involved countries with the purpose to infiltrate a virus in the Customs’ computerized systems. Once the virus installed, from distance, the offenders were able to finalize various transports, as in the Customs’ system appeared that the cargo was already checked and passed.

Further, SELC provided details of how the operation was conducted, involving a large-scale search of “more than 100 addresses, suspects, and vehicles.” Out of the 23 suspects arrested, 5 of them were Bulgarian Customs officers. Police seized “equipment, devices for communication, computers, tablets, and bank documents.”

Bulgarian authorities have searched more than 100 addresses, suspects and vehicles. A large quantity of money was seized, as well as equipment, devices for communication, computers, tablets, bank documents, etc. 23 suspects were arrested, 5 of them acting as Bulgarian Customs officers. As result of this criminal activity the damages recorded by the Customs Agency, only for year 2015, is around 10 million Leva.
Here is where things get interesting... Police also seized 213,519 bitcoins, at the time, worth $500 million. As of writing this article, the amount seized, is now worth approximately 3,676,583,661, according to CoinDesk.

As well, up to now were found in the virtual space bitcoin wallets of the main suspects with a total value of 213,519 bitcoins. As a reference, the value of one bitcoin is rating to 2354 USD. The offenders choose the bitcoin way of investing/saving the money, because it is rather difficult to be tracked and followed. 

SELC explained why the criminals used bitcoin,

The offenders choose the bitcoin way of investing/saving the money, because it is rather difficult to be tracked and followed.

What remains a mystery to most, is what the Bulgarian government will do with the seized bitcoins? As mentioned in the beginning, the national debt could certainly be reduced. Have we just discovered a large seller that is ready to pour cold water on the party?

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-08/bulgaria-government-shocked-discover-it-owns-3-billion-bitcoin

Not certain if this news caused the recent price decline. There was a bloomberg article claiming 1,000 people own 40% of bitcoin which might have scared off investors. There could be other reasons behind the recent decline, or it could be a sell off as traders dump to turn their profits.

There have been many posts on this forum claiming governments will shut down bitcoin or illegalize crypto. This article provides a 3rd option -- confiscation. States need not shut down bitcoin if they take it all from criminals, making themselves wealthier in the process.

Also, is it my imagination or is zerohedge assuming an anti crypto stance of late? It seems as if someone is pressuring ZH to publish news stories which criticize or attack bitcoin which is interesting.

Though people continuously stop or say negative things about bitcoin, they can't. Just imagine what happened now to bitcoin they just discovered, I'm sure many people were more encouraged to invest and believe on bitcoin. Not just Bulgaria, but there are so many other countries especially Japan or US who believe in Bitcoin.

Pages:
Jump to: