Pages:
Author

Topic: Buy low or sell high. What is better? - page 3. (Read 5575 times)

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091
November 13, 2015, 01:24:05 PM
I don't know/use trading methods any other than buy low and sell high. It's the best investment method for people who don't know how to use all the difficult trading options that exchanges nowadays offer. You only need a bit patience.
Activity: 1064
Merit: 505
November 13, 2015, 12:29:26 PM
The reason most traders use some sort of technical analysis is to make sense of meaningless words like "buy low"  and "sell high".

After the bubble to $1200, $600 would have looked 'low' and been a bad buy. The same in the early days, $5 would have looked 'high' after trading in cents, and selling 'high' then has mentally scarred a lot of early adopters.

Tl,dr: 'Buy low, sell high' is a meaningless phrase used by people who don't know what they're doing and are almost guaranteed to lose money.

It's only meaningless in cryptos because the volatility is too high, on other things people knows more or less what the price looks like normally and the terms ''high'' and ''low'' have a meaning, anyone who says they can make profit on cryptos in the long term guaranteed is lying because it doesn't matter how good you are there is always the possibility of loosing a lot of money in a really short amount of time with bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies.
Activity: 1316
Merit: 546
Monday Hit Me Every week
November 13, 2015, 11:32:00 AM
if you ask my opinion that for a trading strategy as it is common, because if you only look at the low and high price I think profits will stop the same profite and will not get a higher profit.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2319
Merit: 1288
Encrypted Money, Baby!
November 13, 2015, 10:43:23 AM
Since I know nothing about investing I would say I want to be able to purchase at the guaranteed low price of the day because when it comes to btc vs fiat in the long haul I'd rather have more bitcoin in my wallet then fiat in my pocket.

eh that's the problem there is no way to kown what the guaranteed low price will be, there is no guaranteed low price, otherwise everyone would be rich or everyone would end up with 0 in profit
But that's what the thread is all about. It's just a thought experiment.
Activity: 826
Merit: 501
November 13, 2015, 09:29:44 AM
The very best thing you can do is to leave your coins in cold storage and that you quit trading altogether. When you account for all the risk, all the nerves lost and all the coins you are probably going to lose, even if you make some profits, in the end this just ain't worth a trouble. At least that's my conclusion about trading.

Since I quit trading I am a much happier man! Smiley
The hardest thing to leave the coins in cold storage, and do not spend them, will always be tempted to do it.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1000
In holiday we trust
November 13, 2015, 06:42:51 AM
If you combine the both you should make a good profit so neither is better.
Activity: 361
Merit: 250
November 13, 2015, 06:10:13 AM
Combine them together and you'll get arbitrage. This is what you profit on.
Activity: 323
Merit: 250
November 13, 2015, 06:09:12 AM
It is definitely good to be able open both long and short positions, as then you can play the market both ways.

Some people are better with going with the trend ("the trend is your friend").
Other people - the contrarians, prefer to look for the moments when the trend is changing.

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
November 12, 2015, 07:46:52 PM
Everyone would love to be able to buy low and sell high and repeat however market timing is very hard to do so you are better off dollar cost averaging into that mutual fund (keep fees low) to take advantage of the low periods. 
Activity: 798
Move On !!!!!!
November 12, 2015, 06:36:09 PM
Since I know nothing about investing I would say I want to be able to purchase at the guaranteed low price of the day because when it comes to btc vs fiat in the long haul I'd rather have more bitcoin in my wallet then fiat in my pocket.

eh that's the problem there is no way to kown what the guaranteed low price will be, there is no guaranteed low price, otherwise everyone would be rich or everyone would end up with 0 in profit

This exactly! This is very hard to know and in the Bitcoin world I would even say impossible to know. It all comes down to pure guessing! With Bitcoin, very often everything is upside down!
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
November 12, 2015, 11:38:28 AM
If you buy at high and try to sell at highest, you will probably loose your investment  Smiley Even Forex traders with a lot of knowledge, loose each day a lot of money worldwide  Wink
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069
November 12, 2015, 03:25:34 AM

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
November 11, 2015, 05:32:05 PM
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1026
Free WSPU2 Token or real dollars
November 11, 2015, 03:31:09 PM
Buy low and sell high is the first rule of trading.

But you can buy high and sell higher, or sell low and buy lower also.

By selling highest you get the advantage of selling with a profit even when you have bought also high. By buying real low, you get the profit of not having to sell at a certain margin. You can wait till profit goes really really high.

Lets say a genie gave you the ability either to sell at the daily maximum or to buy at the daily minimum. What will you choose?

why should this be the first rule?
if you follow this rule you will certainly soon or late be a loser.

The first rule is:
buy if it goes up and sell if it goes down.

The usual beginner's error is to follow your wrong rule.
A beginner do buy when he starts...and sell when it is higher.
if it goes down...he waits and waits...

The old fox (lol) when he bought...and he sees that it goes down he is not afraid to sell (with lost) and so he can rebuy when it is lower.

Activity: 770
Merit: 500
✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪
November 11, 2015, 03:14:14 PM
There is no right way to trade on cryptos. Staying up 24 hours staring at the screen will help  Cheesy
But all you need is to have the right timing then your gold. 
I totally disagree. Haven't done that since ages. It's a pure waste of time and you'll get mad very soon if you do that over a longer period of time. ^^

I have started planning my trades over a couple of weeks, a couple of months ago. Sold my last BTC at almost 500 (my average is lower, though) and now, I'm waiting to rebuy in the 250s. Then, wait for the next high, rinse and repeat.

I'm actually doing the exact opposite of starting at the charts all day. And it brought me way more money than any sort of day trading. Patience is key.

To stay within the topic: I'd definitely prefer to know the lowest buy price of each day, as this would enable me to sell at any time after I have bought. The other way around would probably achieve the same, but I'd feel more comfortable with the former one.

I have only about 2 weeks experience on trading, but I have to agree with you. I started not taking much care about the exchange ups and downs, just put buy orders lower than the actual price and sell orders a certain amount higher and I did profit without "staring" much.

Then I switched to enter the exchange much more frequently, watch the prices more etc.... and did profit also, but ended up with some BTC bought at a somewhat high price.

More watchfulness is not always better.
legendary
Activity: 2319
Merit: 1288
Encrypted Money, Baby!
November 11, 2015, 08:31:19 AM
There is no right way to trade on cryptos. Staying up 24 hours staring at the screen will help  Cheesy
But all you need is to have the right timing then your gold. 
I totally disagree. Haven't done that since ages. It's a pure waste of time and you'll get mad very soon if you do that over a longer period of time. ^^

I have started planning my trades over a couple of weeks, a couple of months ago. Sold my last BTC at almost 500 (my average is lower, though) and now, I'm waiting to rebuy in the 250s. Then, wait for the next high, rinse and repeat.

I'm actually doing the exact opposite of starting at the charts all day. And it brought me way more money than any sort of day trading. Patience is key.

To stay within the topic: I'd definitely prefer to know the lowest buy price of each day, as this would enable me to sell at any time after I have bought. The other way around would probably achieve the same, but I'd feel more comfortable with the former one.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1737
"Common rogue from Russia with a bare ass."
November 11, 2015, 05:34:23 AM
The reason most traders use some sort of technical analysis is to make sense of meaningless words like "buy low"  and "sell high".

After the bubble to $1200, $600 would have looked 'low' and been a bad buy. The same in the early days, $5 would have looked 'high' after trading in cents, and selling 'high' then has mentally scarred a lot of early adopters.

Tl,dr: 'Buy low, sell high' is a meaningless phrase used by people who don't know what they're doing and are almost guaranteed to lose money.

Activity: 42
Merit: 0
November 11, 2015, 05:14:21 AM
buying low and selling high can always be a good option but sometimes you have to wait for a long time before selling. there is also a risk of the price not going up at all or you losing the product. I would prefer buying high and selling higher. high is associated with quality but there is also a risk of it going low. therefore to be safe just combine both
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004
November 10, 2015, 08:07:02 PM
The methods are not important. From my perspective if you buy high and sell higher its the same as buy low and sell very high. Sometimes you just can't wait for bubble or for for price to drop.
As long as your gained some money from your trade you are fine.
Activity: 798
Move On !!!!!!
November 10, 2015, 06:19:35 PM
The very best thing you can do is to leave your coins in cold storage and that you quit trading altogether. When you account for all the risk, all the nerves lost and all the coins you are probably going to lose, even if you make some profits, in the end this just ain't worth a trouble. At least that's my conclusion about trading.

Since I quit trading I am a much happier man! Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: