Pages:
Author

Topic: buying bitcoin and the seeming impossibility of keeping anonymous - page 2. (Read 237 times)

legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597
As for emails, dude you can create a ton of emails, not really something they can trace to you if you actually tried to.
I strongly disagree. While disposable emails are certainly a way to get rid of having your real personal info sold everywhere around, a 3-letter agency would easily find out which emails are yours and which aren't. Emails are not anonymous at all, and I am more than sure that NSA or CIA do have access to most, if not all email server backends.
Activity: 2548
Merit: 666
I don't take loans, ask for sig if I ever do.
A pc that you basically don't connect anywhere and not use for anything other than for storing coins seems like the best bet in buying Bitcoin anonymously. It's much more privacy based compared to buying HW wallets, since as you say, they can trace you if you ever bought one. As for emails, dude you can create a ton of emails, not really something they can trace to you if you actually tried to.

The final answer to this whole question of anonymity, especially as it concerns privacy concerns seems, that no matter what they will know or guess that you bought some of this privacy coin, but as a last resort if they came after you, you could say, oh sorry, I lost my private keys and lost the coins. What are your opinions on this?
Yea I think that works. As long as you don't give them the device that holds your coins, they can't really find out and afaik if they don't have a warrant, they can't ask to even inspect your stuff. Hardly doubt they'd actually give a warrant for only a "guess" so the only time you'd get a warrant is that you effed up on something and they have hard proof that you bought Bitcoin.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
Paldo.io 🤖
It seems that even if you buy bitcoin on the supposedly most secure exhanges, like bisq or localcryptos.com your identity can and probably will be seen by the authorities or someone else, but especially the authorities. For instance on localcryptos.com they ask for your email upfront. Virtually any email I would bet can be have the user of the email found out by the authorities, I mean we are talking abut the NSA here folks.
This is why people use burner emails, or at least multiple email addresses for certain purposes. Of course you wouldn't use your personal email if you really want anonymity.

I want to buy a hard wallet, which requires bitcoin to buy, since my bank is anti cryptocurrency and blocked the credit card purchase. If I buy the hardwallet with bitcoin, I assume the authorities will know I bought it with bitcoin. My question then is, can I buy another privacy coin using this hardwallet where my security and anonimity is virtually guarenteed, using another private key and with an exchange like, bisq, I know I said they probably are not totally outside the all seeing eyes of the authorities, but does anyone have any other suggestions? The final answer to this whole question of anonymity, especially as it concerns privacy concerns seems, that no matter what they will know or guess that you bought some of this privacy coin, but as a last resort if they came after you, you could say, oh sorry, I lost my private keys and lost the coins. What are your opinions on this?
Buying a privacy coin doesn't really make your purchase anonymous lol. Take note that mostly the privacy problem here is concerning the fiat transaction(because you have to pay for the crypto you're buying, of course), not the crypto transaction.

Just buy bitcoin on peer-to-peer exchanges using information and emails that can't be tracked back to you; pretty much the only person that should be able to identify you to a certain extent is the person selling the bitcoin, and no one else.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597
No matter what you do, there will still be leaks and if a 3-letter agency is on your way, then chances are a suggestion coming from someone on this forum is not very helpful. We aren't security experts.

For ordering HWs, either get yourself a PO box and deliver it there using false personal information or get yourself one from an official reseller (check the resellers on Trezor or Ledger's website).

But if you are looking for max privacy, then I believe HWs are not your best solution. If I were you, I would build myself an airgapped computer for crypto storage and transactions and only broadcast them on Whonix or Tails, perhaps connected to a Raspberry Pi Onion router themselves.

And then, if you are looking for anonymity, then Bitcoin is perhaps NOT your answer either. Head over to Monero instead, where privacy is the top priority constantly. The lack of privacy features on the BTC network makes it a bad choice if you are seeking an off-grid alternative to the fiat economy.

Build yourself an airgapped PC and start from there. Any transaction you broadcast shall be broadcasted ONLY through Tor, hence why I suggest running Whonix or Tails for this purpose. Any order that is completed over the internet is a privacy risk itself.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
If I buy the hardwallet with bitcoin, I assume the authorities will know I bought it with bitcoin. My question then is, can I buy another privacy coin using this hardwallet where my security and anonimity is virtually guarenteed
I'll answer you about anonymity, because based on your writings, you seem pretty confused. If you purchase a hardware wallet, you're ruining your anonymity. There will be people who will know you've bought a hardware wallet and that you'll own cryptocurrencies sooner or later.

So keeping yourself anonymous using a hardware wallet? Doesn't seem to work. Using a software wallet like Wasabi and transacting through Tor? It'll surely be better. Actually, it can be the best way to ensure you'll remain anonymous. There aren't many things left to do to increase your anonymity on Bitcoin besides Tor and CoinJoin transactions.

My question then is, can I buy another privacy coin using this hardwallet where my security and anonimity is virtually guarenteed, using another private key and with an exchange like, bisq, I know I said they probably are not totally outside the all seeing eyes of the authorities, but does anyone have any other suggestions?
Not sure what you're asking, but if you're searching for a private cryptocurrency this is your best option:  Monero - secure, private, untraceable
Activity: 47
Merit: 6
It seems that even if you buy bitcoin on the supposedly most secure exhanges, like bisq or localcryptos.com your identity can and probably will be seen by the authorities or someone else, but especially the authorities. For instance on localcryptos.com they ask for your email upfront. Virtually any email I would bet can be have the user of the email found out by the authorities, I mean we are talking abut the NSA here folks.

I want to buy a hard wallet, which requires bitcoin to buy, since my bank is anti cryptocurrency and blocked the credit card purchase. If I buy the hardwallet with bitcoin, I assume the authorities will know I bought it with bitcoin. My question then is, can I buy another privacy coin using this hardwallet where my security and anonimity is virtually guarenteed, using another private key and with an exchange like, bisq, I know I said they probably are not totally outside the all seeing eyes of the authorities, but does anyone have any other suggestions? The final answer to this whole question of anonymity, especially as it concerns privacy concerns seems, that no matter what they will know or guess that you bought some of this privacy coin, but as a last resort if they came after you, you could say, oh sorry, I lost my private keys and lost the coins. What are your opinions on this?
Pages:
Jump to: