Pages:
Author

Topic: Buying BTC anonymously - page 3. (Read 428 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 252
December 05, 2021, 05:56:13 AM
That sounds like a lot of leg work and risk. What about a mixer? What about finding somebody that wants to buy or sell IRL and can facilitate a trade? What about P2P markets? There are more options than you present, and I would think them all through carefully before proceeding.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
December 05, 2021, 05:55:12 AM
Firstly, use Tor (or maybe Tor over VPN if you know what you are doing) and not a VPN on its own if you are looking for real privacy.

Secondly, I would never do anything on a KYC exchange if you want to be anonymous. Even if it is buying Monero, that exchange then knows your real name, address, and other information, knows your payment information, and knows how much Monero you bought and when. They might not be able to track what you do with your Monero, but they can still pass your details on to a variety of third parties.

Why not buy Bitcoin directly to any KYC exchange and use a mixer instead?
I hope this is a typo and you meant to say to "buy Bitcoin directly from any non-KYC exchange". Buying from a KYC exchange, even if you then mix your coins, is bad for your privacy.

For using P2P transactions for buying Bitcoin, there are already a lot of ways these days depending on your location, you can use;
The two exchanges you gave might be peer to peer, but they both require KYC and are therefore bad choices.

Here is a better list of non-KYC exchanges you should check out: https://kycnot.me/
legendary
Activity: 3444
Merit: 10537
December 05, 2021, 02:43:22 AM
The problem with your method is finding that "non-KYC exchange" because they are hard to come by and those that exist are risky to use because they either enforce KYC in a hidden way or they are shady!
Your approach will also cost a lot in fees and other costs such as the fact that sometimes buyers of your coins in private will buy it at a much lower price (like if you want to sell XMR to BTC).

I think buying with cash and from individuals is more private and will cost less. Then you an run the coins through a mixer. Or as it was mentioned earlier just buy bitcoin as first step instead of XMR and run that through a mixer.
mk4
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 3817
🪸 NotYourKeys.org 🪸
December 04, 2021, 11:52:17 PM

Your process is too long so buying bitcoin directly would be the best option than buying XMR to BTC.

There are lots of Bitcoin mixers or tumblers you can try Wasabi it has a feature to mix them or use Chipmixer.

Pretty much this. The only reason I would take OP's approach if I'm worried that a local exchange would ban me from using their exchange because they found out that my coins are coinjoined/mixed. But beyond that, coinjoins/mixers it is.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1156
December 04, 2021, 11:51:01 PM
You start it wrong by buying Monero on a KYC exchanges, the exchanges already know who're you and how much you buy Monero on their exchanges. If you want to do such anonymously what you need to do is stay away from any centralized entity.

Instead to pay multiple unimportant fees, better to use mixer and DEX only.

Anyway VPN isn't recommended, because many VPN has bad privacy and it's only temporary masking.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1344
Buy/Sell crypto at BestChange
December 04, 2021, 09:09:45 PM
I agree with DaveF and Bitmaxz,

For using P2P transactions for buying Bitcoin, there are already a lot of ways these days depending on your location, you can use;
https://paxful.com/buy-bitcoin
https://localbitcoins.com/
And there are some people who are selling on different groups that can be found on social media, like Facebook (beware of scammers).

Another thing is you can use some network and just bridge them to your Bitcoin wallet, as there is a lot of wrapped Bitcoin (wBTC) on different chains these days, like Ethereum, Solana, BSC, etc.
Just expect some huge transaction fees here.
legendary
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6231
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 04, 2021, 07:46:51 PM
Or use cash a something like localcryptos.com
There are other ones too that allow for F2F transactions, depending on where you are.
Also the amounts matter, $1000 is a lot easier then $20000.
Location matters too, it's easier to find traders in a big city then more rural areas.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.
December 04, 2021, 07:33:16 PM

Your process is too long so buying bitcoin directly would be the best option than buying XMR to BTC.

There are lots of Bitcoin mixers or tumblers you can try Wasabi it has a feature to mix them or use Chipmixer.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
December 04, 2021, 06:44:53 PM
If you do some research and find the most common value sent over the xmr network in a transaction then you might get somewhere.

The issue will be that someone might notice $100 being bought and moved twice and then exist as $100-fees in your bitcoin wallet.
Activity: 1
Merit: 8
December 04, 2021, 06:40:50 PM
If I wanted to accumulate some BTC anonymously and just hold it
would this work?

Buy XMR on a KYC exchange.
Withdraw it to a Monero wallet connected by TOR or VPN
Transfer to a second Monero wallet connected by TOR or VPN
Send XMR to a non KYC exchange and buy BTC
Withdraw to BTC wallet connected by TOR

Any corrections, suggestions, or better ideas?
Pages:
Jump to: