Pages:
Author

Topic: buying second hand miner - page 2. (Read 2391 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
July 11, 2015, 08:37:44 PM

Well UK I'm going to assume 210/220.   So does give more power, but you need to really see the breaker box to know what you have.

Are you sharing the blocks with others?   What is setup like? You will really need a room for these miners as sound in your room would be bad if you have a 1 bedroom and shared common areas.

Were running 230-240 here, of that im very certain(was a sparky in previous life lol) and setup wise im going to rack them in my always cool personal closet, same place as my PC, so I don't have to worry about annoying myself or anyone else with the noise.

A closet is not really going to work.  It would get to hot with mining gear.   You will need some kind of exhust to get the hot air out.

If you throw multiple S4's in a closet you will have some extremely hot temps.  And chances are you can hear them through closet door.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
July 11, 2015, 03:01:56 PM

Well UK I'm going to assume 210/220.   So does give more power, but you need to really see the breaker box to know what you have.

Are you sharing the blocks with others?   What is setup like? You will really need a room for these miners as sound in your room would be bad if you have a 1 bedroom and shared common areas.

Were running 230-240 here, of that im very certain(was a sparky in previous life lol) and setup wise im going to rack them in my always cool personal closet, same place as my PC, so I don't have to worry about annoying myself or anyone else with the noise.

legendary
July 11, 2015, 02:48:25 PM

GPU most lose money running.  It just is not what it once was.

What type of place is your place your getting this "free" electricity?   Each S4 (regular not plus) will use most of a 110/120 circuit breaker.    So you cannot do a lot of the without right setup.  Not to mention cooling and noise.

Also what is the price you  were told for S4's?  That tells us some more aswell.

yeh the GPU I did mostly just to get an insight, im not running it because like you said there is no money Smiley

Im uk military so the blocks we live in don't charge us for our electricity, needs to be some benefit to living with a load of guys ha.
noise im not too worried about as I have a gaming rig which does much the same set up already and ive never had issues with cooling etc.

And the price, converted, is roughly $650 per unit, 4 months old so already well out of bitmain's guarantee ha, and im aware there were some issues with some of the 1st/2nd batch with PSU's but fortunately I have a few spare lying around from when I built PC's s again not much of a worry for me.

Im not really fussed about making money off this (though who says no to money? Cheesy )to be honest, just want to get involved as cryptocurrency seems like a step forward to me.

July 11, 2015, 02:43:54 PM

What type of place is your place your getting this "free" electricity?   Each S4 (regular not plus) will use most of a 110/120 circuit breaker.    So you cannot do a lot of the without right setup.  Not to mention cooling and noise.

Also what is the price you  were told for S4's?  That tells us some more aswell.

yeh the GPU I did mostly just to get an insight, im not running it because like you said there is no money Smiley

Im uk military so the blocks we live in don't charge us for our electricity, needs to be some benefit to living with a load of guys ha.
noise im not too worried about as I have a gaming rig which does much the same set up already and ive never had issues with cooling etc.

And the price, converted, is roughly $650 per unit, 4 months old so already well out of bitmain's guarantee ha, and im aware there were some issues with some of the 1st/2nd batch with PSU's but fortunately I have a few spare lying around from when I built PC's s again not much of a worry for me.

Im not really fussed about making money off this (though who says no to money? Cheesy )to be honest, just want to get involved as cryptocurrency seems like a step forward to me.
legendary
July 11, 2015, 02:11:50 PM
Hi guys new to the whole mining thing so just have a few questions. <--- n00b

I have the chance to pick up a couple of antminer S4's quite cheap, and as I don't have to pay for the electricity where I live I thought now would be a good time to get into mining, I just wondered what would be some good things to check/ask when buying them, and what firmware is recommended for them?

Also, anyone using them could recommend best mining software and pool(in their opinion) I would be very grateful.

I have had a play with CGminer using my GPU just to see how it all works, is setting up an ASIC much different?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out  Grin

July 11, 2015, 01:56:22 PM
Hi guys new to the whole mining thing so just have a few questions. <--- n00b

I have the chance to pick up a couple of antminer S4's quite cheap, and as I don't have to pay for the electricity where I live I thought now would be a good time to get into mining, I just wondered what would be some good things to check/ask when buying them, and what firmware is recommended for them?

Also, anyone using them could recommend best mining software and pool(in their opinion) I would be very grateful.

I have had a play with CGminer using my GPU just to see how it all works, is setting up an ASIC much different?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: