Pages:
Author

Topic: Bypassing the blockchain - page 2. (Read 2614 times)

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077
August 24, 2011, 01:44:24 PM
This is impossible because of the bitcoin design, as already explained. Each address has its own history of transactions, which are its coins. Transferring coins to a new address rebundles them into a new coin, which will make the transaction visible.

It may be possible to set up a system like this:

Computer A holds the wallet.dat with the address to send from
Computer B is mining bitcoins solo
Create a transaction of 1 SAT to a non-existant address, send the rest as fee without broadcasting to network yet
Configure computer B to add a transaction from the address in computer A, but not broadcast to the network
Once computer B mines a block, withhold the block and broadcast transaction
Release the block and put Computer B back to normal solo mining
The coins are now in a block subsidy

This is, however, extremely cumbersome and has a risk of theft.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
August 24, 2011, 01:42:29 PM
Like the topic says. How can I make a transaction which will not appear in the blockchain?

If you are using a client on your computer, you can't.

I'm not caring about the security of the P2P validation, because I want to send my Bitcoins to another one of my addresses; even in the same wallet.

This would have to hit the blockchain at some point, even if it's only 6 confirmations before you use it.  Of course, that would be pointless.

The reason for this is simple: I don't want others to know who sent me my coins.

Don't tell anyone.

Everybody suggests to use a new address for each transaction to make it a bit more anonymous. Now let's assume I got 100 incoming transactions from different people, 0.01Btc each. When I now send 1Btc to another user, all those 100 addresses are linked together in the blockchain, effectively telling everybody that all of those belong to the same user. And if one of those addresses is linked with an account name or email, everybody knows that user is me.

Which is why you use a different receiving address for each transaction, or at least each customer.  If you desire real anonimity, you are going to have to put in some effort.  Using a mixer or a shared online wallet would help.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1015
Strength in numbers
August 24, 2011, 01:38:12 PM
Like the topic says. How can I make a transaction which will not appear in the blockchain?

I'm not caring about the security of the P2P validation, because I want to send my Bitcoins to another one of my addresses; even in the same wallet.

The reason for this is simple: I don't want others to know who sent me my coins.

Everybody suggests to use a new address for each transaction to make it a bit more anonymous. Now let's assume I got 100 incoming transactions from different people, 0.01Btc each. When I now send 1Btc to another user, all those 100 addresses are linked together in the blockchain, effectively telling everybody that all of those belong to the same user. And if one of those addresses is linked with an account name or email, everybody knows that user is me.

I already asked here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/questions-about-sending-address-and-transaction-fees-38529 but the Newbie forum doesn't get much attention it seems.

Dirty coins ---> You? [yes you but no one knows] ----> You? [maybe, maybe not] -----> You? [could be, or no] ----> You ----> Others

Others: Hey where did you get this coin.
You: Um, dunno
Others: Go check
You: wtf, leave me alone
Others: No really, go figure it out
You: Okay, it was one of those damn pyramids

Activity: 61
Merit: 11
August 24, 2011, 01:31:01 PM

I already asked here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/questions-about-sending-address-and-transaction-fees-38529 but the Newbie forum doesn't get much attention it seems.
Pages:
Jump to: