Pages:
Author

Topic: Bytecoin: Under the Hood - page 2. (Read 3205 times)

Activity: 421
Merit: 250
April 06, 2015, 04:08:37 PM
This 1.0.3 Bytecoin reference client release is dev-oriented, so as a user you won't be able to notice the difference right now. I guess GUI Wallet (coming out later this week) will be more attractive to you. And if you are a merchant willing to accept Bytecoins, your solution is payment gateway (coming out with v.1.0.4), not C++ API libraries.

Why would a regular user need that stuff? From what I understand I don't need to download this Bytecoin update if I'm not a dev?
Activity: 108
Merit: 10
April 06, 2015, 04:07:42 PM
I'm sorry for the triple posting.

Why Bytecoin transactions can stuck in mempool for long time?

It may generally happen due to the following reasons:

1. The fee is too low and no miner is accepting the transaction.
2. The transaction size is too large (in kb). This may happen due to a lot of small inputs involved instead of larger ones. A large mixing amount (>15) may also contribute to excessive size of a transaction.
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
April 06, 2015, 04:07:02 PM
Good to see progress in Bytecoin development. Are you planning to bring Bytecoin into SuperNet or Blocknet? I tested SuperNET beta recently and it is looks very promising. Blocknet is still in early stage but could be an option, too.

We've communicated with SuperNET previously and we might consider working closer with it in the future.

ok, bytecoin devs. awesome! a lot of technical things were done. but, you know, i'm still too noobish to understand that. what is the purpose to use iwallet? who needs itransactions? if i'm an owner of super-cool-online-store "buy whatever for bytecoin" which one do i need to use?

This 1.0.3 Bytecoin reference client release is dev-oriented, so as a user you won't be able to notice the difference right now. I guess GUI Wallet (coming out later this week) will be more attractive to you. And if you are a merchant willing to accept Bytecoins, your solution is payment gateway (coming out with v.1.0.4), not C++ API libraries.

Is it possible to switch between IWallet and ITransactions? Will it give any advantages to the user?

Yes, it is possible to utilize both IWallet and ITransaction inside your application. There are no advantages or disadvantages, as you should use the proper library for your particular requirements. If you're willing to just send the transaction out-of-box, then use IWallet. If you need to implement a complicated logic of input selection, your choice is ITransaction.

thx bytecoin dev
April 06, 2015, 04:00:34 PM
Good to see progress in Bytecoin development. Are you planning to bring Bytecoin into SuperNet or Blocknet? I tested SuperNET beta recently and it is looks very promising. Blocknet is still in early stage but could be an option, too.

We've communicated with SuperNET previously and we might consider working closer with it in the future.

ok, bytecoin devs. awesome! a lot of technical things were done. but, you know, i'm still too noobish to understand that. what is the purpose to use iwallet? who needs itransactions? if i'm an owner of super-cool-online-store "buy whatever for bytecoin" which one do i need to use?

Is it possible to switch between IWallet and ITransactions? Will it give any advantages to the user?

Yes, it is possible to utilize both IWallet and ITransaction inside your application. There are no advantages or disadvantages, as you should use the proper library for your particular requirements. If you're willing to just send the transaction out-of-box, then use IWallet. If you need to implement a complicated logic of input selection, your choice is ITransaction.
April 06, 2015, 03:53:20 PM
And what's going to happen if there is the same wallet opened on two different PCs (with different interfaces)?

It depends whether both wallet interfaces are capable of instant transaction notification. As of now, it is not available in proxying INode, only in the in-process one. That means that simplewallet doesn't yet have this feature available. This is going to be updated in the upcoming releases.

So generally speaking, if we have several wallets opened right now, and one of them (B) is not capable of instant transactions notification, the following will happen. The wallet B will be able to recognize the transaction only when it's in the blockchain, so it's not safe to send the transaction from wallet B until the one sent by wallet A is confirmed. Apart from that, the balances of the wallets are synced.

That's not an issue with two applications running on in-proccess INode, as it will be perfectly synced.
Activity: 148
April 06, 2015, 03:47:17 PM

Bytecoin IWallet and ITransaction

While INode is capable of relaying and processing blocks, it cannot access any information regarding user funds or create transactions. However, there are certain applications (e.g. wallets) that require such methods.

Bytecoin team wanted to give a varying level of access to CryptoNote transactions core with two API interfaces:

It seems to me iwallet will be useful for business.
Activity: 28
April 06, 2015, 03:38:20 PM
What will happen with double-spend attack or a tx that is stuck in the tx pool in case of IWallet and ITransaction? Is there any difference from standard wallet/daemon?

Our high and low-level API gives access to core CryptoNote and Bytecoin functions. It doesn't change the way various events are being processed inside Bytecoin. So there is absolutely no difference from the protocol perspective. So, to answer your question, a transaction that is stuck in the transaction pool is going to be excluded within 24 hours with the funds being returned to the original sender.

Why Bytecoin transactions can stuck in mempool for long time?
Activity: 9
April 06, 2015, 03:36:10 PM

Bytecoin IWallet and ITransaction

While INode is capable of relaying and processing blocks, it cannot access any information regarding user funds or create transactions. However, there are certain applications (e.g. wallets) that require such methods.

Bytecoin team wanted to give a varying level of access to CryptoNote transactions core with two API interfaces:

Activity: 27
April 06, 2015, 03:35:06 PM
Activity: 147
Merit: 100
April 06, 2015, 03:29:28 PM

• IWallet operates on the business logics level. It is useful if you simply need to receive and send transactions, without going into CryptoNote protocol details. Should you require to transfer money with IWallet, you just need to indicate the receiver's address, the amount, and the mixing level. IWallet will do the hard work for you, as it will select the inputs, and then create, validate, sign, and broadcast the transaction.
  • ITransaction is a low-level interface that gives full access to CryptoNote transactions engine. It is designed for those applications that require strict control of transaction creation process. For instance, ITransaction allows you to select specific inputs, and has separate methods for signing and broadcasting a transaction. It also provides access to multisig functionality.

Both API interfaces are capable of doing exactly the same, but with varying level of detalization. That is why IWallet belongs to Bytecoin high-level API, while ITransaction is low-level.

Activity: 692
Merit: 254
terra-credit.com
April 06, 2015, 03:19:19 PM
And what's going to happen if there is the same wallet opened on two different PCs (with different interfaces)?
April 06, 2015, 03:14:44 PM
What will happen with double-spend attack or a tx that is stuck in the tx pool in case of IWallet and ITransaction? Is there any difference from standard wallet/daemon?

Our high and low-level API gives access to core CryptoNote and Bytecoin functions. It doesn't change the way various events are being processed inside Bytecoin. So there is absolutely no difference from the protocol perspective. So, to answer your question, a transaction that is stuck in the transaction pool is going to be excluded within 24 hours with the funds being returned to the original sender.
April 06, 2015, 03:13:35 PM
Also, am I right to say that the introduction of this new feature means that unlike other cryptocurrencies I would be able to pay for coffee and not to wait until my transaction is completed?

No, it just tells you if a tx with an output belonging to you is in the mempool or not. Previously you had to wait about 2 minutes for it to enter a block to see if it was there or not. It's not instant tx, it's more like "did any of the transactions I saw recently on the network have funds belonging to me". I think it was a Bitcoin core wallet feature from day one.

Nice answer! Thank you! Smiley
Activity: 692
Merit: 254
terra-credit.com
April 06, 2015, 03:10:19 PM
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
April 06, 2015, 03:09:16 PM
Also, am I right to say that the introduction of this new feature means that unlike other cryptocurrencies I would be able to pay for coffee and not to wait until my transaction is completed?

No, it just tells you if a tx with an output belonging to you is in the mempool or not. Previously you had to wait about 2 minutes for it to enter a block to see if it was there or not. It's not instant tx, it's more like "did any of the transactions I saw recently on the network have funds belonging to me". I think it was a Bitcoin core wallet feature from day one.
Activity: 373
April 06, 2015, 03:04:28 PM
Does it mean that after Bytecoin devs add instant transactions notification Bytecoin would not need Bitpay and Coinbase?

Bitpay is a convenient way to process payments for services, take care of the rate fluctuation risks and much more. It's not just instant transactions, otherwise there wouldn't have been business behind it. It's a party that takes care of systematic headaches of the merchants, eliminates some of their risks, and gets fee for that.

And nobody can stop you from creating your own Bitpay, Bytepay, whatever.
April 06, 2015, 03:01:07 PM
Instant transactions notification

With this feature Bytecoin transactions become real-time. When Alice broadcasts her newly created Bytecoin transaction to Bob, his wallet will immediately recognize it and update Bob's balance before the transaction is included in the blockchain. This is achieved through IWallet API interface that subscribes to all the transactions of the node it is connected to and instantly recognizes the transactions sent to you.

In Bitcoin there are payment services such as Bitpay that take care of your transaction and take extra risks to ensure it's fast. Also I'm not sure this what was originally mentioned by Ullo.

To be honest, I didn't expect this feature to raise questions. Let me clarify a little on instant transactions notification.
We have added this feature so that Bytecoin users get a transparent way to ensure that the transaction has been successfully send. When Alice sends Bob 1 BCN, he will get notified immediately. The transaction is not yet confirmed and not yet included into the block. It shows that Bytecoin network will take care of everything else, and your part as a user is done.

However, there is no guarantee that each and every sent transaction will be included in the blockchain. It has to be chosen by the miner that founds a block, so there's a minor chance that the new transaction will not be confirmed at all. The notification feature is merely for your convenience and does not mean that you've gained the ownership right of the money that is being sent to you yet. It also improves user experience for 3rd party services, as you make the deposit and instantly see that transaction went through to your account but is not yet confirmed.
Activity: 336
Merit: 251
April 06, 2015, 02:56:00 PM
Do I get it right that every next release will be devided into two different parts?  (I refer to the roadmap image in OP). So at first, things on the left side will be published and then things on the right side?

No, we made it for more convenient perception of roadmap. Only this update will be divided into 2 parts.
April 06, 2015, 02:50:27 PM

With this feature Bytecoin transactions become real-time. When Alice broadcasts her newly created Bytecoin transaction to Bob, his wallet will immediately recognize it and update Bob's balance before the transaction is included in the blockchain. This is achieved through IWallet API interface that subscribes to all the transactions of the node it is connected to and instantly recognizes the transactions sent to you.

In Bitcoin there are payment services such as Bitpay that take care of your transaction and take extra risks to ensure it's fast. Also I'm not sure this what was originally mentioned by Ullo.

Does it mean that after Bytecoin devs add instant transactions notification Bytecoin would not need Bitpay and Coinbase?
Activity: 373
April 06, 2015, 02:41:57 PM

Pages:
Jump to: