Pages:
Author

Topic: calm the fuck down everyone - page 3. (Read 4135 times)

legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001
March 11, 2013, 10:30:36 PM
I was panicking a few minutes ago but asked around.  The issue will be over in a few hours, and any crash will be momentary.  Only 11 blocks or so were affected and it'll all be over very quickly.  By tomorrow morning, we are back to business as usual.

Maybe we see a temporary dip, but that'll resolve eventually, because this issue is not really a big deal except for now.  We don't see many hard forks and I'm sure the devs will be much more cautious in the future after this has happened.
This. Seriously, I'm just kicking myself for not having any standby cash in MTGOX.

Yup. Virtex went all the way down to 35! I could've made a killing.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227
Away on an extended break
March 11, 2013, 10:25:43 PM
I was panicking a few minutes ago but asked around.  The issue will be over in a few hours, and any crash will be momentary.  Only 11 blocks or so were affected and it'll all be over very quickly.  By tomorrow morning, we are back to business as usual.

Maybe we see a temporary dip, but that'll resolve eventually, because this issue is not really a big deal except for now.  We don't see many hard forks and I'm sure the devs will be much more cautious in the future after this has happened.
This. Seriously, I'm just kicking myself for not having any standby cash in MTGOX.

The original post lacked info for "regular users".  Here it is:

(1) If you are a "regular user" (not a miner), the best thing is to do nothing and wait a couple hours.  Upgrading, downgrading, whining, FUD, etc, will make no difference.
(2) If you are a "regular user", you don't need to upgrade downgrade or anything.  Just chill out
(3) Regardless of who you are, your transactions are not dead, your coins are not lost.  They will just temporarily be held up.  If you sent a transaction within the last few hours, it may take a few more hours before it's sorted out.
(4) If you insist on processing transactions right now it's probably best to wait 20+ confirmations.  It's just due diligence though ... an attacker would still need a tremendous amount of mining power, quick thinking, and a victim willing to part with a lot of BTC.
(5) By tomorrow this will be in the past and everything will appear to be normal again.  If you slept through this, you'd never know that anything happend (except for the price drop).

Let me reiterate, your coins are not at risk, your transactions are not lost.  It'll just take some time for the network to "iron itself out."  Everything will be okay.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
bitcoin hundred-aire
March 11, 2013, 10:24:16 PM
I was panicking a few minutes ago but asked around.  The issue will be over in a few hours, and any crash will be momentary.  Only 11 blocks or so were affected and it'll all be over very quickly.  By tomorrow morning, we are back to business as usual.

Maybe we see a temporary dip, but that'll resolve eventually, because this issue is not really a big deal except for now.  We don't see many hard forks and I'm sure the devs will be much more cautious in the future after this has happened.
Pages:
Jump to: