Pages:
Author

Topic: Campaign for XBT. A new ISO Currency Code is required for Bitcoin - page 3. (Read 8725 times)

legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
100 satoshis -> ISO code
Ripple was smarter and started to market their currency as XRP from the beginning.

Yeah, I noticed that too. It was a really good move by those guys.

XAA, XIO etc have their merits, but the standards authority prefers an easy mnemonic. If someone had forgotten the codes for Bitcoin or Ripple, and saw a choice between XAA and XIO (for example) then it would be a 50/50 guess. But, remembering XBT and XRP is easier in the first place.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006
XVB (X Virtual Bitcoin) would also maybe fit, though the "X currencies" seem to rather have 2 letters for the currency identifier (e.g. "XAU" - X AUrum/gold) than one ("XMG" - X Metal Gold).

There are no other currency codes with numbers, so X01 or X10 are probably out of question. XBT or something along these lines probably are the best shot... Ripple was smarter and started to market their currency as XRP from the beginning.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Let's get rid of Bhutan.. and take BTC as the ISO standard.
k
Activity: 451
How about X01? (01 for bits)
legendary
100 satoshis -> ISO code

Yes, ideally XBT gets included, but you might as well lobby in Bhutan to inquire at SIX for using the symbol BTC for Bitcoins.

Now that IS a good idea!
legendary
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
legendary
See https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/x-iso4217-a3-revised-draft-published-127604 as an alternative to SIX interbank (good luck in getting them to even read your mails).

Yes, ideally XBT gets included, but you might as well lobby in Bhutan to inquire at SIX for using the symbol BTC for Bitcoins.
legendary
100 satoshis -> ISO code
I've been going with XBC but someone recently pointed out that EUR is used for the Euro and it's not a country either so it should be possible for ISO to accept BTC as standard symbol for Bitcoin on the same basis. Using BTC would be optimal but after that I kind of lean towards XTC as an homage to the drug trade.

I like XTC too. Very clever  Smiley

The currency EUR does conform to the ISO country standards as "EU" has been reserved for the European Union, of which the euro is meant to be used by all member countries, even though, so far, half have transitioned to it.

I have experience dealing with standards authorities directly, and I know how they think, and they will never accept BTC as an official code because it would break their own standards to do so. However, BTC is fine for unofficial public use, just as US$ and CA$ are commonly seen. But these codes are not found in any significant financial/FX system.  It is theoretically possible to get XBC, but that is an uphill battle as there are many computer systems with bond transactions denominated already in XBC, and confusion would occur if it was re-assigned.

There is one thing that markets are bad at, and that is defining standards. Standards underpin successful markets, just as mathematics underpins physics. Having standards makes markets work efficiently as everyone is exchanging fairly, price discovery works best.

An ISO currency code for Bitcoin will greatly help cement its future as a rival for fiat.
Activity: 784
firstbits:1MinerQ
I've been going with XBC but someone recently pointed out that EUR is used for the Euro and it's not a country either so it should be possible for ISO to accept BTC as standard symbol for Bitcoin on the same basis. Using BTC would be optimal but after that I kind of lean towards XTC as an homage to the drug trade.
Activity: 359

XAA

X = international.
The first A reminds of the precious metals like properties of Bitcoin.
The second A brings it on top of the list of international currencies / pm, where it belongs.

Joe

Activity: 405
Merit: 255
@_vjy
XIO ("ex eye oh") / XOI

may be even, X10 ("ex ten") / X01

numeric are non standard in currency symbols?
but it is ok for BTC, after all it is all ones and zeros.  Smiley
Activity: 462
How about we just use BTC until it's so commonly accepted that ISO just follows along?
Isn't this what is going to happen anyway?

let the market decide.

Thats the point kid
Activity: 201
Merit: 101
https://playt.in
How about we just use BTC until it's so commonly accepted that ISO just follows along?
Isn't this what is going to happen anyway?
foo
Activity: 409

+1
legendary
Activity: 1400
legendary
Activity: 1358
legendary
100 satoshis -> ISO code
Sounds reasonable to me. Would this be easier as a poll maybe?

I'll make a note of other suggested codes and kick off a poll based upon feedback to the idea...
The standards body will have their own view on this as it should be a recognizable abbreviation..
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
I feel XTC is appropriate because that is how I feel when I buy my BTC.
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
Sounds reasonable to me. Would this be easier as a poll maybe?
Pages:
Jump to: