Pages:
Author

Topic: Can a factory reset computer be used for cold storage? - page 2. (Read 2480 times)

copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1528
No I dont escrow anymore.
-snip-

1. Disconnect the laptop from internet.

2. Run Bitcoin-QT or some program to generate your address.

3. Send the wallet to an USB.

4. Remove the USB.

5. Ctrl+Shift+Del your wallet details from the laptop. If possible, format it once.

6. Connect your laptop to the internet and send bitcoin to your address, whose details are in USB.

7. Just keep the USB detouched from all internet connections... and you are safe Smiley

By the way, is this 100% safe?

Nope, an advanced trojan could be transmitted to the offline system via USB, snatch your private keys and call home when possible (e.g. using your online machine to broadcast the signed TX). So this might be compromised the moment you try to spend the bitcoins (e.g. connect the USB stick to an online machine). You also have a single point of failure (the USB stick) if it breaks your coins are gone.

On the other hand: nothing is 100% safe.

Activity: 72
Merit: 10
I need to buy a new laptop anyway so I was wondering if I completely wipe my current laptop (It's a sony vaio) could I then use it as my cold storage laptop? I plan to make a large investment in bitcoins very soon and was wondering if factory resetting my current laptop would be sufficient in terms of security? Cheers.

4. Remove the USB.

5. Ctrl+Shift+Del your wallet details from the laptop. If possible, format it once.

6. Connect your laptop to the internet and send bitcoin to your address, whose details are in USB.

7. Just keep the USB detouched from all internet connections... and you are safe Smiley

By the way, is this 100% safe?
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Thanks for the advice everyone, greatly appreciated.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
It could I would get rid of the crap they include with most computer's.

Also I would still put a good anti-virus on it and malaware protection before moving in.
Activity: 526
Merit: 500
I need to buy a new laptop anyway so I was wondering if I completely wipe my current laptop (It's a sony vaio) could I then use it as my cold storage laptop? I plan to make a large investment in bitcoins very soon and was wondering if factory resetting my current laptop would be sufficient in terms of security? Cheers.

Yes you can do that, and be sure to keep some backup for your wallet..
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1528
No I dont escrow anymore.

To answer your question: Yes, a wiped machine with disabled WiFi (as someone allready posted) can be used as cold storrage. Just make sure you format all drives before (or durring setup) installing the new OS.
Activity: 1

4. Remove the USB.

No need to use the Bitcoin-QT and send the dat to a USB. All he need is vanitygen.
Vanitygen don't allow you to convert it to paper wallet or am I wrong? I believe bitaddress.org is the best for cold storage.
Activity: 3

4. Remove the USB.

No need to use the Bitcoin-QT and send the dat to a USB. All he need is vanitygen.
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

you can try something else to check just turn off and turn on...then try again

and what will that do?
Activity: 10

you can try something else to check just turn off and turn on...then try again
b!z
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010
Remove the wireless card and don't plug anything into it
Cheers for the reply. I know about generating wallets/addresses safely and clean booting from ubuntu/tails etc but I want a watch only wallet on my new laptop and have armory installed on my cold laptop. I was under the impression that apart from paper wallets, this is the best option? So I wasn't sure if factory restoring my laptop was be sufficient enough in terms of security to do this?
Activity: 728
Merit: 256

4. Remove the USB.

Pages:
Jump to: