Pages:
Author

Topic: Can Algos and/or ASICs be patented ? - page 2. (Read 293 times)

Activity: 269
Merit: 4
May 25, 2018, 06:58:35 AM
You can probably patent the design of an ASIC chip or machine, but software put on it would need to be copyrighted.  I don’t know if you can copyright open source software that anyone can compile.  On top of that, any patent or copyright is only as strong as the country where it is filed.  (I am not an attorney, so don’t consider this legal advice.)
Activity: 252
Merit: 8
May 25, 2018, 06:45:45 AM
Can a algorithm be patented ? What about ASICs ? Can Bitmain patent a particular ASIC so that others can't manufacturer an asic for a particular algo without licence from patent holder ?

It's even worse if one is to believe what is written.
https://blog.sia.tech/the-state-of-cryptocurrency-mining-538004a37f9b

Bitmain is said to play dirty and actively prevents anyone else to develop / manufacture ASICs for mining. They can do this because most competitive chip makers are in China and they have the resources to do what they want.
I have read that article but that doesn't answer my question. I am not asking about Bitmain in particular but about any company if they can patent their ASICs.
Activity: 58
Merit: 4
May 25, 2018, 06:16:09 AM
Can a algorithm be patented ? What about ASICs ? Can Bitmain patent a particular ASIC so that others can't manufacturer an asic for a particular algo without licence from patent holder ?

It's even worse if one is to believe what is written.
https://blog.sia.tech/the-state-of-cryptocurrency-mining-538004a37f9b

Bitmain is said to play dirty and actively prevents anyone else to develop / manufacture ASICs for mining. They can do this because most competitive chip makers are in China and they have the resources to do what they want.
Activity: 420
Merit: 105
German Translator - Hire me on Bitcointalk!
May 25, 2018, 04:47:18 AM
Well if you can patent it, how would you control it?
I dont think that is possible, but the time will tell  Grin
Activity: 252
Merit: 8
May 25, 2018, 04:15:40 AM
Pages:
Jump to: