Pages:
Author

Topic: Can Bitcoin coexist with other cryptocurrencies? - page 2. (Read 5153 times)

Activity: 330
Merit: 397
It depends if the other cryptocurrencies will offer any value of their own, other than just being different. Bitcoin clones will all fail, but an OpenTransactions-style centralized currency with a trusted provider could work (if it doesn't get shut down), and a cryptocurrency-based system which has other uses, like Namecoin, would have a good chance at succeeding.
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
I was wondering what everyone thought about other cryptocurrencies, and how you think they'll thrive, crash and burn, or cohabitate with Bitcoin. I don't want to mention any other ones specifically, but I've seen a couple that are carbon copies of Bitcoin, and others that are trying to be a lesser value coin. What does everyone think? As online currencies become more popular, do you think people will start picking sides, or transfer funds between a couple if the infrastructure to do so exists? I can see both sides of the coin ( Tongue ), on one hand it would be nice to have a lesser value coin to keep "spending money" stored in, but since Bitcoins are so dividable, it isn't like you can't spend tiny percentages of one Bitcoin. What are your thoughts?
Pages:
Jump to: