Pages:
Author

Topic: Can Bitcoin Mixer services be trusted? - page 3. (Read 593 times)

legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
March 23, 2022, 03:33:50 PM
1) Mixer knows BTC address from which you send and knows the address to which you receive. Is information about the connection of the sending address with the receiving address saved? If this info is stored on their server, having access to this info, you can unravel the entire chain of transactions?

They can indeed do such connections if they want to, and even sell to chain analysis companies. In theory.
In reality I'd expect that they erase as much information as they can (and as early as they can) to avoid headaches from authorities (and also boast about this to their potential customers).

2) If the mixing service provider is a website, then it can get various information, such as an IP address and location? What can the mixer learn about its customers in this way?

It has been proven that clearnet websites of the mixers are pretty much under constant attacks. Putting them into the protection of cloudflare and such is something I've seen done by some of the mixer businesses, but it's wrong, exactly because then (also) cloudflare can get (some of) this information.
So the solution is simple: use the mixers that offer TOR addresses. This way you protect yourself from this (valid!) situation.

3) What information about users can generally be stored on bitcoin mixing service servers? If attackers / hackers get access to them, then this can be used to the detriment of users, right?

I am not that "advanced" in this, but I expect that the best mixers keep only the minimum information to ensure customers' money is not lost because of various mistakes.
But source transactions (and obviously source addresses) and also the resulted funded addresses should be there, together with some unique ID or session information the user may receive before starting the process.
Of course, as you stated, IPs can also be stored, but only on clearnet.

4) How can minimize the collection of personal information by mixers?

Access them only under TOR, be careful to not make mistakes (which can reveal more info about you when you ask about them), withdraw the mixed coins to your wallet (obviously to different addresses), never mix from or to centralized service (exchange)... I don't know of anything else. Don't mix overly big amounts in one step.

5) What other weaknesses and vulnerabilities are there in the scheme "your address 1 - mixer - your address 2"?

Make sure the mixer you use is known, has a good reputation and it's highly professional. Because if they're not, you may face "vulnerabilities" (intentional or not) you may not like (and the service provider may or may not be aware of that).
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 7340
Farewell, Leo
March 23, 2022, 03:33:40 PM
In summary, you can't know if a mixer sells your information to third parties or lies to you in some other way, but one thing is sure and I believe that's the purpose of mixing coins after all: You get privacy on-chain.

If you didn't use a mixer, your coins' connection would be publicly known. Analysis companies and advertising services wouldn't have to start searching what's yours; they'd already have a proof of that. On the other hand, if you mix coins you ensure that there's no probable way that everyone will know where your coins ended up to, even if the mixer sold this info to few.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
March 23, 2022, 03:21:58 PM
1) Mixer knows BTC address from which you send and knows the address to which you receive. Is information about the connection of the sending address with the receiving address saved? If this info is stored on their server, having access to this info, you can unravel the entire chain of transactions?

It'll be impossible to verify whether this data is stored by a mixer or not. Most say they won't keep logs or will only keep them for a certain amount of time (chipmixer is a week unless you destroy your session and then it's straight away - from what they say).

2) If the mixing service provider is a website, then it can get various information, such as an IP address and location? What can the mixer learn about its customers in this way?

They can get your ip and location. It depends on what your isp stored about you but I've seen cases where you can get someone's name/address too via whois sites.

If you use tor or use a public WiFi service then you'll be much more hidden.

3) What information about users can generally be stored on bitcoin mixing service servers? If attackers / hackers get access to them, then this can be used to the detriment of users, right?

Most mixers save session tokens and deposit addresses, these are things they have to save to allow them to support their users - aside from that and maybe a captcha solve, they shouldn't be storing anything else. Captcha solves might hide some information about who a user is but it's probably not reliable.

As said above, use tor and/or public WiFi where you can.
Don't take your funds straight out of a mixer as it'll be easier to use chainanalysis to determine it's you.

If you wait anywhere from 2-7 days before withdrawing funds from a mixer they should be harder to trace.

Also if you use multiple mixers or multiple services, it should make your funds harder to tract too if worried about logging - it may be possible to incorporate dexes too.

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
March 23, 2022, 03:06:08 PM
I have never used bitcoin mixer services (sooner or later, each of the signature campaigns participants will be visited by this thought) and in this regard, I have no idea how this service works. I'm not interested in "send BTC to this address", "receive BTC to another address" (I'm sure this info is on the each mixer website), but questions about collection of personal information by service providers matter to me.

In this topic , we are discuss the collection of information about users by hardware wallet applications. New points of view and comments will always be welcome here, because the more complete information we have, the more objectively can assess the situation.

I believe that when it comes to privacy and anonymity, you can't trust anyone at all. So what kind of information can a bitcoin mixer service get?

Next, I will voice hypothetical vulnerabilities from the point of view of a person who has NOT used mixer service, but is concerned about what information the bitcoin mixer can get. Please correct me or supplement if I'm wrong and I hope you answer the questions I'm looking for answers to.

5) What other weaknesses and vulnerabilities are there in the scheme "your address 1 - mixer - your address 2"?

I may have more questions as I learn more about mixers.
Pages:
Jump to: