Pages:
Author

Topic: can governments prevent a cryptocurrency wallet from syncing with the network - page 2. (Read 1961 times)

legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1722
https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF
This is an open question to anybody who can answer it.

My question is can a government stop a wallet from syncing with the blockchain if they decide to ban the currency completely and not allow anybody to use the wallet?
Will the wallet still function as normal and download the blockchain and will the user be able to send coins from the wallet to any other wallet in the world?

If they can do this then is there any way that this can be bypassed?

Please explain in detail if you could

Yes and No.

A government or your ISP can try to make it as difficult as possible to use Bitcoin by blocking your network access to Bitcoins default P2P port or by restricting / throttling your P2P traffic / bandwidth.

However, it will still be possible for a user to connect with the Bitcoin network by changing the default P2P port or by using a VPN or an anonymity network such as Tor for connectivity.

Governments and regulatory authorities have been unsuccessful in preventing the downloading of movies and music with P2P software like BitTorrent and the Bitcoin network protocol functions in much the same way.

Basically if you have working internet access, then you have access to the Bitcoin blockchain.
legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1049
┴puoʎǝq ʞool┴
Only by restricting your Internet access.
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1528
No I dont escrow anymore.

My question is can a government stop a wallet from syncing with the blockchain if they decide to ban the currency completely and not allow anybody to use the wallet?

Depends. If the connection to the internet was shutdown youd have to rely on SMS and radiowaves. Both methods have been tested but not easily accessable AFAIK. If a connection to the internet is still possible you could mask the traffic via tor.

Will the wallet still fuction as normal and download the blockchain and will the user be able to send coins from the wallet to any other wallet in the world?

If you can get a connection via tor it would function as usually. SMS/DVBT connections would work differently as you would have one channel to get updates for the blockhain (DVBT) and another to broadcast TX (SMS)

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

Will the wallet still function as normal and download the blockchain and will the user be able to send coins from the wallet to any other wallet in the world?

If they can do this then is there any way that this can be bypassed?

Please explain in detail if you could
Pages:
Jump to: