Pages:
Author

Topic: Can HW manufacturers get user info through their apps? - page 2. (Read 305 times)

legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1296
keep walking, Johnnie
Imagine a situation.

Newbie first heard about Bitcoin and decided to buy it. He has a question where to store it. Of course, under the influence of advertising, he buys one of hardware wallets. Will most newbies use HW in connection with Electrum or something like that? I doubt. He will take a simpler path and install Ledger Live or Trezor Suite, for example, where there are a bunch of wallets in one place at once, where don’t need to install many different apps/wallets for each specific crypto currensy. Agree, this is convenient, but as I assume, most of you will not approve of Newbie's decision.

I don't want to focus now on the firmware of devices, which is better, open source or not. Undoubtedly, this is an important point, but this has been discussed many times and now I want to turn attention to the apps offered by manufacturers and discuss the level of their security. What threats can pose from manufacturers (Don't consider the option on the topic of methods used by attackers in this topic)?

I have the following questions:

- What kind of information can HW producers get about the users of their apps?
IP (and hence location)? Information about funds (history of balance, transactions, addresses)? Something else?
- Such information may be useless now, but will it be possible to say the same with certainty in the future? Technologies are developing.
- Are there cases when manufacturers received information from users of their apps?
- Do manufacturers make the source code of their apps publicly available? If yes, which brands?

I propose to discuss this topic and try to find out what information about users can be obtained by HW manufacturers and used to their advantage (or safely lose, as ledger has successfully succeeded more than once). 

It would be good to hear your assumptions on this matter or the facts that you have.

Explanation:
I haven't seen a similar thread, but that doesn't rule out that this has already been discussed. If a similar question has been raised before, then will close this topic.
Pages:
Jump to: