Pages:
Author

Topic: Can I store Bitcoin on a 16 MB SD card? - page 2. (Read 2852 times)

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
January 26, 2014, 02:39:42 PM
Use electrum. Either backup deafult.wallet or jot down the private key.
cp1
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Stop using branwallets
January 26, 2014, 02:28:21 PM
I think electrum will be best for you.  Make sure you write down the secret phrase in case you lose your usb drive.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
January 26, 2014, 02:24:34 PM
I'm using Multibit. Windows says, that my multibit.wallet (must be the wallet.dat of Multibit) was last modified today.

Which wallet do I have to use, that my wallet.dat doesn't has to be modified? Can you recommend me such a wallet?
legendary
Activity: 947
Merit: 1042
Hamster ate my bitcoin
January 26, 2014, 01:24:57 PM
IMPORTANT!

If you are using a non-deterministic wallet then you will need to back it up every time new keys are created. You can determine if the wallet needs backing up again by checking if the wallet.dat file has been modified. Alternatively use a deterministic wallet, as the seed only needs to be backed up once.
Activity: 36
Merit: 0
January 26, 2014, 01:09:43 PM
That means I only have to copy the wallet.dat ONCE to the SD card, and it's a backup "forever"?

more or less, from what I read the wallet.dat stores your private keys(the numbers used to SPEND coins from your addresses) and you can store your private keys even on paper https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Paper_wallet

if you're paranoic, create a bunch of addresses(the ones from receive tab) and store them in a text file, backup wallet.dat and delete wallet application and downloaded chain block
send your coins to addresses and monitor them with block explorers
when you're ready to spend install wallet app, sync it, replace wallet.dat and happy spending Smiley
January 26, 2014, 12:54:49 PM
That means I only have to copy the wallet.dat ONCE to the SD card, and it's a backup "forever"?
January 26, 2014, 12:47:26 PM
I'm using MultiBit. Do I only have to copy the wallet.dat onto the SD card?

And what if I want to restore it, but the balance is not the correct one (e.g. because I got earnings from mining, or bought something)?
I think a paper wallet would be more safe, because it can't get outdated, but the problem is, I can't backup all my BTC ....

Would it be possible, to sync the wallet.dat on my PC with the google drive or other cloud services? I think this would be the best backup.

There is no difference. You wallet cannot get outdated. Bitcoins are not stored in the file.
January 26, 2014, 12:26:18 PM
I'm using MultiBit. Do I only have to copy the wallet.dat onto the SD card?

And what if I want to restore it, but the balance is not the correct one (e.g. because I got earnings from mining, or bought something)?
I think a paper wallet would be more safe, because it can't get outdated, but the problem is, I can't backup all my BTC ....

Would it be possible, to sync the wallet.dat on my PC with the google drive or other cloud services? I think this would be the best backup.
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
In math we trust.
January 26, 2014, 09:40:42 AM
16 mb is more than enough to hold your wallet file.
But the blockchain is huge.
just make sure you use a program like electrum multibit or armory.
January 26, 2014, 09:24:22 AM
Hello guys,

I want to store my BTC on a 16MB SD card, because of shitty Windows (it's iikely, that my Windows will destroy itself in the next time again). But I have to use Windows, because of the games.

It must be safe and usable with Linux too (and of course it should be free). Therefore I would use TrueCrypt to encrypt the memory card, but I don't know how to store the BTC there.

What about a paper wallet, is that safe and free?

I hope you can answer my question Smiley

A paper wallet is safe and free as long as you have a piece of paper and a pen, and if you don't lose the paper. You might as well stick the paper into a safe.
January 26, 2014, 07:54:34 AM
Hello guys,

I want to store my BTC on a 16MB SD card, because of shitty Windows (it's iikely, that my Windows will destroy itself in the next time again). But I have to use Windows, because of the games.

It must be safe and usable with Linux too (and of course it should be free). Therefore I would use TrueCrypt to encrypt the memory card, but I don't know how to store the BTC there.

What about a paper wallet, is that safe and free?

I hope you can answer my question Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: