Pages:
Author

Topic: Can I trust Blockchain.info wallet? - page 4. (Read 4578 times)

copper member
Activity: 1442
Merit: 529
May 14, 2016, 02:23:44 AM
Are you really sure you can trust the web wallet with the most horror stories (most hacks in history of bitcoin) ? Some hacks or the majority comes from flaw of users using same password they used on email and other sites, not adding 2FA but still how can you trust someone else to hold bitcoins for you as this is what you are doing, when you are using web wallet. Why not use a desktop or hardware wallet and have peace of mind , have peace of mind with a desktop wallet, when u use safe OS and know that to be hacked is very difficult although possible.

You should not trust Blockchain.info with the majority of your coins, maximum let some very little amount for your daily online activities.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
May 14, 2016, 01:26:15 AM
Not with a lot of BTC you can't, if you're just going to use it for day to day expenses, like to keep up-to $10-20 then there is no problem i.e. if you keep back up of your keys(taking the keys out of newer version is tricky, so make sure you know how to do that before hand) but I wouldn't recommend you keep large sum of money there. Rest is up to you.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 504
Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(
May 14, 2016, 01:25:38 AM
As I will tell anyone who intends to hold bitcoins, get a hardware wallet like trezor, if you have more than 0.5 bitcoins in your wallet and you do not have a trezor or similar hardware wallet, you have no one to blame if you lose coins one fateful day
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
May 14, 2016, 01:17:12 AM
Off course,  you can trust block chain wallet without a doubt.  Till you have a backup your mnemonics , you will not face any problem using it.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048
May 13, 2016, 07:37:45 PM
Well as per my experience blockchain is the most trustworthy is the best wallet i have ever seen and if you look through all the posts then you will see that a lot of people will back me up with what i have to say

Same here, I've never had any issue personally with the service, but they have had some issues in the past (a RNG issue that allowed some accounts to be compromised, and some blockchain sync issues that stopped users from making transactions that didn't have their private keys). I'd trust them, and did with my bitcoin paycheck for years, I'd just suggest you record your keys so you can move your coins should the service go down.

If you don't have sole access to the private key, you don't technically have control over the coin, in my opinion. Something to chew on.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1005
beware of your keys.
May 13, 2016, 07:33:21 PM
at least blockchain is not storing your unencrypted keys that will let the hacker get yours when under attack.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
May 13, 2016, 07:28:58 PM
Well as per my experience blockchain is the most trustworthy is the best wallet i have ever seen and if you look through all the posts then you will see that a lot of people will back me up with what i have to say
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 3282
May 13, 2016, 07:22:44 PM
You can export your private keys in the section where you can manage your addresses. The biggest risk with Blockchain.info is that when you login, they could feed you malicious JavaScript that would give your funds to them instead of sending it where you want to. Otherwise, it is pretty secure (unless you have a simple alias and password) and is probably one of the best web wallets out there. I trust Blockchain.info with my 1 Bitcoin, but probably nothing more then 2 Bitcoin. I do also have my keys on Electrum on my laptop, just in case block chain.info goes down or people realize they are feeding them bad JavaScript.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
May 13, 2016, 07:06:25 PM
Yup. It gives you your private key and you can take that wherever you like. I stopped using blockchain.info because I realised I couldn't secure my own machines which is always going to be the largest weak spot.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
May 13, 2016, 06:58:10 PM
I started my wallet there in 2013 and forgot about it.  I recovered it and now updated it to their "new wallet."

I saw a lot of posts on Reddit that say it would not be wise to use them. But I like the site and the app for my iPhone.

Dumb question, if I make an address with it, can I use that address with a different wallet? If so, do I just use the address and key to migrate it?
Pages:
Jump to: