Pages:
Author

Topic: Can I want my money back from SatoshiDICE? - page 2. (Read 7380 times)

Activity: 108
Merit: 10
rockxie, you need to quickly send 100 btc to that address and when it hits, you'll win back everything you lost.  If it doesn't win, send 200.  It's a sure thing!
 Cheesy
Activity: 206
Merit: 100

Can you tell if the bet the OP placed won? Can you tell whether the address it was sent from is one of these send-only Gox addresses? If the bet didn't win and it really did come from a Gox address, you're out no BTC and you know he wasn't trying to scam you, right?

If only a forum member had identified her bet already and determined the answers to these questions are: "lost, from a Mt.Gox account."

I'm afraid that it doesn't follow that it isn't a scam. If she had won, she would go to Mt.Gox instead and reclaim the profits by showing she placed the withdrawl. A scammee could bet that there's more than 1.8% chance SD would refund, which makes it a nice trick you could only get away with once. And if only once, why not for 50?

I believe OP made an honest mistake, but because it's impossible to know, the best policy is to hold a hard line.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
You should not have sent a 50btc bet to a site that you didn't understand the mechanics of.
It sounds like it was a cut-'n-paste error, but yes - always double and triple check the address and the amount.

If only SatoshiDICE had some sort of vanity prefix for their addresses...   Cheesy

+1 Cheesy
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
Sorry but this look like angle shooting. I'm sorry for your loss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advantage_gambling#Angle_shooting
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt. I don't think he was trying to scam SatoshiDice, but in any case that's a good reason why "refunds" can't be given (even if it was possible to do so, which in this case, it's not).
legendary
Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

Rockxie - Unfortunately money sent to SatoshiDice from certain ewallets cannot be recovered. There is a warning on the front page of SatoshiDice explaining this:

WARNING: Only use wallets that allow you to receive Bitcoin from the same address you sent from. If you're not sure, test with .001 Bitcoins. If you get nothing back, then your wallet is not compatible.

So I am sorry to say that the funds cannot be returned. Any winnings from these bets go back to Gox, but they go into an account which Gox doesn't/can't access for some reason. It's possible the funds now belong to another Gox account holder. It's not really fair to bother Gox with this either, since SatoshiDice gives a very clear warning not to use it.  And if you lost the bet anyway, then there's no funds to return of course.

Please always be careful with bitcoins. The irreversible nature means you need to be diligent. You should not have sent a 50btc bet to a site that you didn't understand the mechanics of. I feel your pain, but please use this as a lesson for the future  Undecided

Can you tell if the bet the OP placed won? Can you tell whether the address it was sent from is one of these send-only Gox addresses? If the bet didn't win and it really did come from a Gox address, you're out no BTC and you know he wasn't trying to scam you, right?
Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
evoorhees, I have a great idea here.

I want to send to the dice 50 BTC using proper client that can get incoming transfers to the transfer out source address just fine. It'll be 50/50 bet.

Then if I lose the bet I'll post on this forum and will tell ya opps I made a mistake, please refund. Pretty please! Sounds as a decent idea to me. What do you think?

Activity: 165
Merit: 100
You should not have sent a 50btc bet to a site that you didn't understand the mechanics of.
It sounds like it was a cut-'n-paste error, but yes - always double and triple check the address and the amount.

If only SatoshiDICE had some sort of vanity prefix for their addresses...   Cheesy
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack

I'm new bitcoiner here.

Today, I made a serious mistake.

When I withdraw from Mtgox at 2012/07/26 02:40:48, I inputed the address of a SatoshiDICE (1dice97ECuByXAvqXpaYzSaQuPVvrtmz6)  and did not notice the error.

So, I lost 50BTC.

I would like to ask, Can I get back to me the BTC?

Is any SatoshiDICE staff here? Can anybody help me?

Rockxie - Unfortunately money sent to SatoshiDice from certain ewallets cannot be recovered. There is a warning on the front page of SatoshiDice explaining this:

WARNING: Only use wallets that allow you to receive Bitcoin from the same address you sent from. If you're not sure, test with .001 Bitcoins. If you get nothing back, then your wallet is not compatible.

So I am sorry to say that the funds cannot be returned. Any winnings from these bets go back to Gox, but they go into an account which Gox doesn't/can't access for some reason. It's possible the funds now belong to another Gox account holder. It's not really fair to bother Gox with this either, since SatoshiDice gives a very clear warning not to use it.  And if you lost the bet anyway, then there's no funds to return of course.

Please always be careful with bitcoins. The irreversible nature means you need to be diligent. You should not have sent a 50btc bet to a site that you didn't understand the mechanics of. I feel your pain, but please use this as a lesson for the future  Undecided
Activity: 98
(:firstbits => "1mantis")
I LOLd Smiley)

Idea: A DB of addresses that pooled funds such as MtGox can contact so they don't send to them. Lottery and SD addresses come to mind.
Actually, while I am opposed to "blacklists" and such, it would make sense for mtgox to give warning when paying to known satoshidice addresses to prevent issues like this.
If anything, MtGox and others should prevent sending to 1dice/… from addresses that can't be used as return addresses as this is 99.9% unintentional but on the other hand: I would go with the stupid tax comment and not burden business with any effort like that.

Anyway, thanx for the laugh Smiley

Let's say for instance that this bloke DID win. Where would the winnings go?
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
"Can I want my money back from SatoshiDICE?"
Yes you can.

"Can I have my money back from SatoshiDICE?"
I would say no.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
I LOLd Smiley)

Idea: A DB of addresses that pooled funds such as MtGox can contact so they don't send to them. Lottery and SD addresses come to mind.
Actually, while I am opposed to "blacklists" and such, it would make sense for mtgox to give warning when paying to known satoshidice addresses to prevent issues like this.
If anything, MtGox and others should prevent sending to 1dice/… from addresses that can't be used as return addresses as this is 99.9% unintentional but on the other hand: I would go with the stupid tax comment and not burden business with any effort like that.

Anyway, thanx for the laugh Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1136
...Or just call it a stupid tax
legendary

Also, mixers such as the one from blockchain.info could add to the DB after the address is deleted
Since MtGox doubles as a wallet. Perhaps we should make it a double confirm

"You are about to send X btc to a SatoshiDice address. Are you sure?"

Will call it a the Red List.
rjk
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
1ngldh
legendary
Chances for that address are 50/50, why don't you try again? Get your coins back quickly Smiley

+0.5
Pages:
Jump to: