Pages:
Author

Topic: Can the encrypted wallet be recovered using the unencrypted? - page 3. (Read 7296 times)

legendary
Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078
Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer
Ouch, I wasn't aware of that - why would it throw away the pool?

Ironically (for the OP) this is done just in case someone managed to get a copy of the unencrypted wallet.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Ouch, I wasn't aware of that - why would it throw away the pool?
legendary
edited OP to state that I made tx after I encrypted the wallet

In that case unfortunately you really have a problem as the unused addresses in the original backed up key pool were discarded when the wallet was encrypted (and re-encrypting the backup with the same password won't help as am pretty sure the addresses will be random).
Activity: 257
Merit: 250
Not trusting third parties with my private keys
edited OP to state that I made tx after I encrypted the wallet
legendary
Any change addresses that had been used prior to the encryption will still be present (otherwise the encrypted wallet would not be able to find those funds) it is only those addresses in the key pool that were unused (as far as the client could tell at that time) will have been discarded so as per Revalin's advice do a rescan and all should be good.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Yes, your coins are probably still there.  The client pre-generates a bunch of addresses for change, so it's likely all there.

Shut it down and rerun it in a cmd window: "bitcoin-qt.exe -rescan".
Activity: 257
Merit: 250
Not trusting third parties with my private keys
Here is what happened:

Made new wallet using satoshi client on windows 7
Made a backup
Sent a large amount of bitcoins to it
Realized the wallet wasn't encrypted, and encrypted it
Apparently did not back up the encrypted wallet
Made a few tx using the encrypted wallet, causing the balance to get sent as change to an address on the encrypted version
Got laptop stolen
Spent the last couple days trying to figure out why the backup wallet had a zero balance and couldn't see the change that had come back to it in the next tx

Hoping it is possible to replicate the process and recover the encrypted version.  There are enough bitcoins on this wallet to put a huge amount of work into recovering them.  I would guess that the encryption process is repeatable, but if there are any random factors in the new generation of 100 addresses, I am screwed.
Pages:
Jump to: