Pages:
Author

Topic: Can there be other ways to earn merit? - page 2. (Read 576 times)

Activity: 30
Merit: 12
November 08, 2018, 01:00:06 PM
Well yes there aren't that many merit sources at the moment and much merit to give either...
There are about 119 merit sources,loaded with Smerits,which also gets reloaded at the end of every month..
And not all merit sources spend their Smerits within this monthly circle,so there is more than enough merits to give and even allow to waste/burn
My op was more on the meh users that you see, some people who struggle with english
Such users can earn merits on their local boards,merits are being distributed in every section/board of the forum..
A user doesn't have to be perfect with English to earn merits,once your idea/post/reply is a wee bit coherent,if it's worth a merit,it will definitely get one
Activity: 168
Merit: 15
Future of Security Tokens
November 08, 2018, 12:56:44 PM
This is a compilation of merit give away threads; https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/list-of-threads-giving-away-merits-updated-12-march-2018-3048258 it was last updated march of this year, so most of the activities and contests would likely be closed by now.

Merit was created to be earned for quality posting giving it out to members for failing to get it over long period of time defeats the purpose.
- More merit sources.
- Merit sources in local boards.
This could increase the merit circulation.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
November 08, 2018, 12:48:37 PM
My upsuggestion: if you reach a thousand activity without any merit, the first merit gets gifted to you. It seems sad to see some members will be here over a year and never earn merit. I think it’d give people hope to stick around for longer...
The opposite makes more sense: If you manage to reach 1000 Activity without earning a single Merit, you should be banned.

IT seems that there are some meriters who give to the same circles of people very time too.
Do you have examples? If I look at the top 20 merit senders, they've sent Merit to respectively 779, 198, 491, 203, 365, 346, 415, 333, 646, 415, 389, 489, 366, 258, 416, 120, 612, 149, 336 and 84 different users (the list is much longer). This doesn't look like merit is being sent to the same circle only, although it makes sense that the same people produce higher quality posts and thus receive more Merit than others.
Activity: 308
Merit: 280
November 08, 2018, 12:46:52 PM
I reckon a lot of merit sources don't want to get into trouble with the community by sending high amounts of merit all of the time (which to some people might look a bit suspicious).
theymos has directly encouraged on sending high amounts of merits in case you can't spend all your source merits on due time. Therefore, there is nothing to suspect.
If they complain about amounts, tell them to complain to me. It's best if sources try to exhaust their source allocations, even if it means giving posts higher amounts than is typical. If you have 150 source merit and you only see 3 merit-worthy posts in a month, then I'd rather you over-give each of them 50 merit than let the merit expire. That way there are more people capable of sending merit, and the "merit economy" is less top-down.

I think there will be no one without merit if s/he has 1000 activities, only exception is bounty hunters with reports. Or the repetive answer in altcoin board.
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1270
Play Poker on Telegram
November 08, 2018, 12:41:31 PM
I think it’d give people hope to stick around for longer...
I think the forum has always been about quality and definitely not quantity..
Gifting a merit to anyone user with 1000 activities without a merit would just be encouraging such poster to go back to the low content posts/replies that never gave him/her merit in the first place...
I am in the same position. It is really frustrating to have done over 100 posts and never received a single merit.
The problem is definitely not with the system,but with you..
You really cannot blame the merit sources or users for not giving you merits,because apparently they haven't seen any of your posts worth meriting

And judging by the op's suggestion you have about 900 more activities to go before we "gift" you a merit
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
November 08, 2018, 12:38:17 PM
Well yes there aren't that many merit sources at the moment and much merit to give either... They're quite limited on what they can do.

IT seems that there are some meriters who give to the same circles of people very time too. Some who are a bit of a renagade in their merit giving also but I reckon a lot of merit sources don't want to get into trouble with the community by sending high amounts of merit all of the time (which to some people might look a bit suspicious).

My op was more on the meh users that you see, some people who struggle with english or even to write posts that make people wnat to merit them. Sometimes a conveluted reply, while accurate, might not encourage someone to merit it (especially since it's a kind of seal of approval on that post)...
Activity: 126
Merit: 4
November 08, 2018, 12:36:08 PM
I am in the same position. It is really frustrating to have done over 100 posts and never received a single merit. But I guess one day I'll crack the code and get merit. Just trying to learn more and give value.
legendary
Activity: 2338
Merit: 10802
There are lies, damned lies and statistics. MTwain
November 08, 2018, 12:33:57 PM
<…>
But arguably, if a poster has not been noticed for a year, and has been posting regularly to rise his activity, there is something wrong with either the poster or the system. I’d say the former is more true than the latter, and would prefer a higher amount of weekly merit circulation on the whole, with more people involved, and let things come naturally.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
November 08, 2018, 12:28:16 PM
Since it has been decreed that you need at least 1 merit to become a jr member, can we also make it that if you get a certain number of activity and don’t get blocked then you can earn merit? I think there are a lot of standard posters that go amiss.

My upsuggestion: if you reach a thousand activity without any merit, the first merit gets gifted to you. It seems sad to see some members will be here over a year and never earn merit. I think it’d give people hope to stick around for longer...
Pages:
Jump to: