Pages:
Author

Topic: Can we still mine from home? - page 2. (Read 2826 times)

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
December 03, 2014, 10:32:00 AM
All depends on the price of electricity and also during winter in the northern hemishere you can use if to drying clothes...or some home heating wich is a good thing.
I dont mine at home currently just recently moved a miner at home because my wife remembered since last winter that the laundry dried in just few hours...(6pcs  S1 at that time...March 2014)

Serious question. People hang laundry in their homes to dry? That seems so 1940's.

Hey I do it all the time, I'm old school!   Cheesy

Seriously, if it's good clothes I can't get to the dry cleaners, then I air dry that shit for like a day, then hand iron it.

Hmm...maybe the S1s as a clothes dryer is a better idea.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
December 03, 2014, 04:56:47 AM
All depends on the price of electricity and also during winter in the northern hemishere you can use if to drying clothes...or some home heating wich is a good thing.
I dont mine at home currently just recently moved a miner at home because my wife remembered since last winter that the laundry dried in just few hours...(6pcs  S1 at that time...March 2014)

Serious question. People hang laundry in their homes to dry? That seems so 1940's.
legendary
Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000
December 03, 2014, 04:50:22 AM

Activity: 784
Merit: 1004
Glow Stick Dance!
December 03, 2014, 04:07:57 AM
Of course you can still mine at home!*

*as long as you aren't expecting to make a profit
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
December 02, 2014, 09:18:52 PM
Sure you can.  Anyone can mine from home, ROI is a whole different story though.

If you do decide to go ahead and mine, make sure it's inexpensive, energy efficient, and you view it strictly as a hobby, not a money printing machine.

I guess this is a key point.  If you mine from home, you have to go into it expecting to lose money... It's a pity because validating the blockchain is an important function and it was awesome when the open book was maintained by the collaborative of all the people... Now it's maintained by a few big players  starting to look like banks, hope they don't start charging fees like the banks Smiley
Activity: 1372
Merit: 783
better everyday ♥
December 02, 2014, 12:48:53 PM
Sure you can.  Anyone can mine from home, ROI is a whole different story though.

If you do decide to go ahead and mine, make sure it's inexpensive, energy efficient, and you view it strictly as a hobby, not a money printing machine.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1024
Mine at Jonny's Pool
December 02, 2014, 12:44:13 PM
You can always mine from home... doesn't mean you're going to make anything from it... then again, it doesn't mean you're not going to make anything from it, either Wink.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
December 02, 2014, 12:07:39 PM
You can still mine from home. Some still run their kit in their garage. It is profitable for them? I am not quite sure, may be marginally profitable after taking away electricity and cooling installations. Winter is here and cooling is less of a problem, so might be more profitable than in summer.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
December 02, 2014, 11:40:09 AM
It depends.  You need space, and cheap electricity.   Your electricity rate really is the big deciding part.
December 02, 2014, 10:51:04 AM
I just had a read of this:
http://www.finance-guy.net/finblog/is-difficulty-creating-centralization-of-bitcoin

It makes a fair point, that mining pools are becoming too powerful, and I don't know about you but my home computer would be useless at mining.

What do you think?  is the growing difficulty bad for mining?

You can still mine from home, don't forget you save from hiring people and renting a office. Now you need cheap power....

And don't forget the supercomputer you need in order to solve the equation Smiley
Activity: 259
Merit: 250
December 02, 2014, 08:48:50 AM
http://www.finance-guy.net/finblog/is-difficulty-creating-centralization-of-bitcoin

It makes a fair point, that mining pools are becoming too powerful, and I don't know about you but my home computer would be useless at mining.

You can still mine from home, don't forget you save from hiring people and renting a office. Now you need cheap power....
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
December 02, 2014, 08:38:26 AM
you can mine some pron Tongue
Activity: 276
Merit: 250
In Blockchain We Trust!
December 02, 2014, 08:14:46 AM
It's a natural process.
Mining become a business with millions $ revenue.
And as any other business - big players displace small miners.
December 02, 2014, 06:28:40 AM

Pages:
Jump to: