Pages:
Author

Topic: Can we validate all the blocks created till date with the first Satoshi client? - page 2. (Read 1495 times)

staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
Was multi-sig implemented after Bitcoin/Bitcoin-qt 0.7.2? If yes, can confirmed transactions spent from or received at multi-sig addresses be validated by Bitcoin/Bitcoin-qt 0.7.2?
P2SH (commonly known as multisig) was implemented in 2012, before 0.7.2. P2SH transactions can be validated by earlier versions.
Activity: 860
Merit: 423
You can't. I know for certain that all versions of Bitcoin/Bitcoin-qt 0.7.2 and earlier will not be able to sync with the network due to an insufficient number of Berkeley DB locks which then essentially imposed a block size limit at around 500kB. This issue is what caused the March 2013 fork. Because of this, all versions of Bitcoin/bitcoin-qt 0.7.2 and earlier will be unable to fully sync the blockchain.

Was multi-sig implemented after Bitcoin/Bitcoin-qt 0.7.2? If yes, can confirmed transactions spent from or received at multi-sig addresses be validated by Bitcoin/Bitcoin-qt 0.7.2?
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065
You can't. I know for certain that all versions of Bitcoin/Bitcoin-qt 0.7.2 and earlier will not be able to sync with the network due to an insufficient number of Berkeley DB locks which then essentially imposed a block size limit at around 500kB. This issue is what caused the March 2013 fork. Because of this, all versions of Bitcoin/bitcoin-qt 0.7.2 and earlier will be unable to fully sync the blockchain.
This is bullshit. Not just garden-variety bullshit, but military-grade weaponized bullshit.

This is exactly what happens when people willfully don't read documentation as a matter of development policy.

It is exactly like the proverbial "giving people just enough rope to hang themselves".

I posted about this on the same night it happened because I was driving long distance and couldn't really stop for a full post earlier.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/no-recompilation-fix-for-the-lock-table-is-out-of-available-lock-entries-152208
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1616542
The "manual tweak" is exactly two lines. Anyone can apply it, because the recompilation is not necessary. All it takes is to create a short text file and restart the bitcoin client.

Those threads are interesting read for anyone wondering how Bitcoin ended up with a fragmented development community that we have now. You'll understand how the division lines were drawn and what methods of disinformation were applied. I certainly was enlightened on that very afternoon-evening-night about what was really going on amongst the leading developers and pool operators.
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615
The original client had some bugs in it that were fixed later (some of them fixed by Satoshi himself), so I wouldn't want to use it to send transactions or build blocks.

That being said, I'm not certain.  I *think* it *might* be able to validate all blocks and transactions, but I wouldn't bet any money on that.  I look forward to seeing if anyone with more knowledge than me responds.  It'd be great to see what GMaxwell has to say about it.
Activity: 860
Merit: 423
Can confirmed transactions spent from or received at multi-sig addresses be validated by first Satoshi client, i.e. bitcoin-0.1.0?

If not, then should we consider that all changes made to bitcoin so far are not backward compatible in nature?
Pages:
Jump to: