Pages:
Author

Topic: Can you build your own machine using same processors as S9? - page 2. (Read 2789 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
So TSMC knows how to make these chips but will only build them for bitmain and other custom jobs. They don't have their own version of the chips for other miners.

I just wanted to make sure there are not generic of a ASIC chip. In regular computers, each PC manufacturer does not have their own chip, you have generic   Intel I7 or AMD Ryzen  chip that any person or company can purchase.

Intel and AMD are NOT "generic" - they just happen to be widely-available competing product lines with VERY similar capabilities and an overlapping range of performance.

At least one of the ASIC miner chip houses (BW.com I think) uses Global Foundries as opposed to the more common usage of TSMC to make the actual chips.

The foundries don't DESIGN the chips, they just make them to specification on contract terms (as they do for AMD and IBM and NVidia and Apple among MANY others - Samsung and Intel have their OWN foundries).
 The DESIGN of the chip is owned by the company that designed it.

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
Can you build your own machine using same processors as antminer S9? Is that a thing?

NO.

The S9 uses a custom ASIC that only Bitmain has access to, and they do NOT sell chips.

If you have a $million or so to wave under BitFury's nose, THEY will sell you their chips - then add a bunch more money to design a miner around them and start building miners.

There is pretty much ZERO chance of "the market filling up with Bitcoin chips" - the current miner manufactures can't get enough chips to satisfy CURRENT demand due to limited foundry capacity available on the current 14/16nm node production lines (capasity largely already allocated under LONG TERM contracts to folks like AMD and NVidia and Samsung and Apple that go through a lot more wafers-worth of production in a MONTH than Bitmain could manage in a YEAR).

"pseudo-random heuristics" have ZERO to do with cryptocoin mining.
 Nor does algebra - cryptocoin work is all about simple integer add and rotate operations, there is NOTHING complicated or random about it.
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
... or if the words you're using mean what you are trying to say

I'm gonna go out on a limb and hope English is not your native language.
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Search for the topic ASICBOOST. It too was supposed to narrow down the chances of hitting the right number.
That said and right off the bat -- continue all discussion of that useless topic in it's finally and thankfully long dead thread(s)... AFTER 1st READING them that is...
legendary
Ah, okay. So you're trying to find a way to predict the output of double SHA256 given a set of random inputs. Good luck.

Also I don't think that has anything to do with this thread's topic, or with "overclocking".
legendary
I'll be honest, I really have zero idea what you're trying to do.

The statistical incidence of a hash capable of meeting difficulty criteria is approximately 1 every (entire world's hashrate)*(600 seconds). The difficulty criteria is self-adjusting to make sure this remains true. You can't just wave a magic wand over a Block Erupter and coax it into calculating more golden nonces. And you can't make it run infinitely fast before it catches on fire. And even if you could solve the meltdown limitation you'd be paying out the butt for power compared to new gear. New gear sells because it is quantitatively better.

Please spend a little bit more time reading and learning before trying to explain yourself, that way you can get a better idea of whether or not what you're trying to explain is remotely possible or if the words you're using mean what you are trying to say.
legendary
Overclocking works great until physics happens and your chips start to burst into flames. Also consider that MOS power consumption pretty much increases with the square of switching speed so your efficiency will fall off really fast. And then your chips will burst into flames.

CPUs suck for mining because they have a very few very generic cores so there's a lot of extra stuff running and very little of the right kind of math going on. Think about CPUs like idling your car to run a 12V inverter into a USB adapter to recharge the battery on your phone.

GPUs are better for mining because they have many less generic cores; there's still a lot of extra stuff but it's a much lower percentage of the total amount of stuff and there's more of the right kind of math going on. That's your small standalone gas generator into a USB adapter to recharge your phone.

ASICs are the best for mining because they have almost literally nothing except incredibly specific cores. There's a small controller built in that handles data IO, clocking and basic maintenance tasks, and the other 99.7% of the chip is a hardwired piece of circuitry custom-built to do exactly the kind of math bitcoin mining needs and nothing else. That's the little solar panel with a USB charge cable that plugs directly into your phone.

I think some of you guys have some fundamental misunderstandings about how mining chips work, or how the design and manufacturing process works. And then stuff like "generic Intel i7" contradicts itself - you can't go into a store and buy a non-name-brand i7 for your computer. You get the one Intel designed and manufactured, or you get nothing. Nobody else makes them, only Intel. Just like only Bitmain makes the BM1387, and only BW makes the LK1403. And by "makes" of course I mean "spends months and millions of dollars with a team of experts designing, simulating and redesigning, then sends the design to one of the exactly two open factories in the world capable of manufacturing". Intel has their own factory so they literally do design and manufacture the entire CPU. They just also sell them to third-party integrators. Most of the bitcoin mining ASIC developers don't, probably because they can profit enough already from making the entire miner and if someone else made a better miner with their chips it'd make them look pretty bad.

The foundries, in the case of Bitmain's chips TSMC, only know "how" to make the chips because Bitmain's designers figured out the design. TSMC just has the tools to manufacture. Bitmain's the architect, TSMC is the carpenter. TSMC isn't going to sell Bitmain's design to anyone else because they'd get sued up the butt and their lack of integrity would cost them a lot of business from the rest of the world.
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
You guys keep thinking about building these own miners thread after thread after thread, but you still lack the basic expertise in electrical engineering and/or lots of money to go through with the project, so these threads really start to be a lot of talk for nothing.

Basicly there are two guys here at the forum that I know can actually do the whole thing and those guys are sidehack and jstefanop.
Activity: 24
Merit: 0
So TSMC knows how to make these chips but will only build them for bitmain and other custom jobs. They don't have their own version of the chips for other miners.

I just wanted to make sure there are not generic of a ASIC chip. In regular computers, each PC manufacturer does not have their own chip, you have generic   Intel I7 or AMD Ryzen  chip that any person or company can purchase.

I guess that is why the graphic card industry are being snatched up immediately because that is the closest thing to off-the-shelf chips for mining. Otherwise bitmain and the few other companies hold the keys for mining.

I guess there is no way to like reverse engineer a chip using like a powerful microscope at a college to see what is going on right? I know when our the US military planes were captured by Russia, they were making their own copies of the plane including the imperfections right down to the bullet holes.  

Why do normal CPU( Intel & AMD) suck so bad at bitcoin mining? Why are graphics card's( GPU) so much better? I wonder if ASIC  just have less of what makes CPU suck and more of what makes Graphics card rock at mining.

If you were design a car to be most efficient, it would be different then designing a car that has the fastest 0-60.

AMD may be a Corvette
INTEL may be a Ferrari.
Bitmain ASIC may be a Toyota Prius

The Corvette and Ferrari will win every race but the prius will go the longest on the least energy.

So maybe you can't build your own prius but you can get a car that gets very good mileage by maybe putting in a small efficient diesel engine.

Is this a fair comparison?
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
China and Taiwan are the same thing. PRC owns Taiwan, just ask them.
legendary
I did not think China subscribed to IP since they literally have copies of almost every product you can imagine.
Well yes and no.... Ja they want to at least know about other folks IP but at the same time they hold very tightly to what is theirs.

Why do you think that there are NO cutting/bleeding-edge Foundries in China? Because the chip customers be they Bitmain, Broadcom, Cisco et al do not trust that their IP will remain private. AFAIK the most advanced Foundry in China is still at the 22nm node.

However -- the Foundries making the current miner chips - in this case they come from TSMC - are NOT in China. TSMC is in Taiwan and don't you dare say China and Taiwan are the same thing.
legendary
Bitmain spent millions of dollars to custom-design and have fabricated the chips inside the S9. Canaan, EBang and BitFury each did the same thing for their respective designs. They hold the rights and they hold them tightly and it's only fair that they do so.

So yeah, if you wanted your own comparable chip you'd also have to spend millions of dollars to design and have fabricated; the other option is, you could go to Bitmain, Canaan, EBang or Bitfury and see about buying their chips for your own integration. Bitfury would probably be most likely to talk to you, and it'd only cost you about $1M upfront instead of $10M plus about six months R&D time.
However, I don't know if possible to build your own ASIC based miners. Can you call up these companies and say " give me whatever you give for the S9" or do you need like an R&D department and million of dollars to actually reinvent the wheel by having to  engineer your own ASIC chip from scratch.

Things are always possible when you throw enough money at them. You will, however, not be able to go to the foundry and ask them to give you another companies IP.

So its an IP restriction on the their particular ASIC chips that prevent everyone from making their own version of the antminer S9 ? I did not think China subscribed to IP since they literally have copies of almost every product you can imagine.

So that is why the S9 is better than other dedicated data miners because they control those efficient high output ASIC chips and the supplier will not give them to anyone else.

Ok, I think I understand now.

Thanks. 
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
However, I don't know if possible to build your own ASIC based miners. Can you call up these companies and say " give me whatever you give for the S9" or do you need like an R&D department and million of dollars to actually reinvent the wheel by having to  engineer your own ASIC chip from scratch.

Things are always possible when you throw enough money at them. You will, however, not be able to go to the foundry and ask them to give you another companies IP.
Can you build your own machine using same processors as antminer S9? Is that a thing?

I think they use texas instruments chips if I'm not mistaken, I realized they are dedicated and optimized for mining operations. 

Are these purpose built chips something that comes from the factory optimized for mining or is antminer modifying them and re-coding them with some priority software to make them so efficient?

I mean, could you put together your own supercomputer miner using these same purpose built chips or are they doing something special that can't really be recreated?
Thanks.
I suggest you look up ASIC so you at least have an idea what you are talking about...
These are custom-designed/made. Foundries (other than Intel) that can produce the current 14/16nm node sizes: Samsung, TSMC, GloFo. That is it.

I know regular CPU(suck at mining/efficiency), Graphics card (GPU) better, ASIC best which are custom chips.
Activity: 1610
Merit: 538
I'm in BTC XTC
yeah, every week we a new noob-dujour asking the same questions again such as:

Is it Profitable to mine?
Is it Profitable to mine now?
I wanna make my own miner.
I wanna make free electricity.
I wanna learn correct grammar.*

*not confirmed
 Cheesy
legendary

I think they use texas instruments chips if I'm not mistaken, I realized they are dedicated and optimized for mining operations. 

Are these purpose built chips something that comes from the factory optimized for mining or is antminer modifying them and re-coding them with some priority software to make them so efficient?

I mean, could you put together your own supercomputer miner using these same purpose built chips or are they doing something special that can't really be recreated?
Thanks.
I suggest you look up ASIC so you at least have an idea what you are talking about...
These are custom-designed/made. Foundries (other than Intel) that can produce the current 14/16nm node sizes: Samsung, TSMC, GloFo. That is it.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'

Thanks.

the chips are custom built for them.

if you got  the chips  with instructions  on the pinouts you could build a better miner.

good luck with that

Thanks.
Pages:
Jump to: