Pages:
Author

Topic: Can you pay your household bills with bitcoin ? - page 2. (Read 6832 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1073
Well, this will help remittance too....

The biggest thing, stopping people from accepting Bitcoin in the remittance market, is the added cost to convert it, back to fiat.

If there was no reason for them to convert to fiat, it would have been the cheapest currency to use, in the world.

legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
If you are in the United States, you can use www.billpayforcoins.com to pay any bill right now.

Good to see. I'm not liking the 3% fee so I'll likely not use this but will keep it in mind if I have a cheap bill. I just have my $2k mortgage so I'm not willing to drop down $60 per month to pay it.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
what do you mean? shorten my name?

I think he saw a similar name b4..but something longer..so he's asking if u had some longer/similar name b4?
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
can't you just use aurumxchange's withdraw2card service?

and dump cash onto your debit or credit card?

wow..didnt know this existed! thanks..ill check it out now!
Activity: 765
Merit: 503
As mentioned you can via Igot.com and Livingroomofsatoshi.com for all australian bills.
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
If you are in the United States, you can use www.billpayforcoins.com to pay any bill right now.
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
what do you mean? shorten my name?
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician
@yodog  Did you shorten your name?
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
can't you just use aurumxchange's withdraw2card service?

and dump cash onto your debit or credit card?
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000
My money; Our Bitcoin.

I'm in canada with rogers wireless, gf is on fido. If i can pay our phones bills using btc i will do it exclusively (about $160/month) provided there are no costly fees.

I just forwarded that to an exec at Rogers  Grin

I'm in Canada with Telus; internet and cellphone. If i can pay my bills using btc i will do it exclusively provided there are no costly fees.

Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1078
Charlie 'Van Bitcoin' Shrem
do you know what BTC exchange rate they will use?

Virtex
MtGox CAD
or MtGox USD?

We will accept the Vouchers from the 6 Exchanges we're integrated with, so if BTC is cheaper on one exchange you can use that one.

As per BTC, it'll be MtGox rate at first, but eventually the lowest rate across all exchanges
legendary
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner
do you know what BTC exchange rate they will use?

Virtex
MtGox CAD
or MtGox USD?

or is the deal we send BitInstant bitcoin and BitInstant pays the bill and holds the coins  Tongue
legendary
@Yankee (BitInstant)
What about check cashing establishments? They often offer bill pay services for various major companies including electric & gas, ISP, Telco's and some minor services.
If Bitcoin could get into those, might even become a common exchange along with bill paying.

One step at a time.

Regarding check cashing places, look out for an announcment in a week or so about that

I'm in canada with rogers wireless, gf is on fido. If i can pay our phones bills using btc i will do it exclusively (about $160/month) provided there are no costly fees.

I just forwarded that to an exec at Rogers  Grin
Activity: 141
Activity: 196
Web Dev, Db Admin, Computer Technician
@Yankee (BitInstant)
What about check cashing establishments? They often offer bill pay services for various major companies including electric & gas, ISP, Telco's and some minor services.
If Bitcoin could get into those, might even become a common exchange along with bill paying.
Activity: 868
I will be able to accept BTC for airtime within a few weeks with 100 Countries, 320 Mobile Operators

dose this mean i could pay my Koodo cell phone bill with bitcoin?

will their be fees for using this service?

In Canada it will be: Bell Mobility, Chatr Wireless, FIDO, MTS, Rogers Wireless, SaskTel, Solo Mobile, Telus, Virgin Mobile, and Wind.

I'll try and get Koodo as well

Dude, you're doing a wonderful job!
legendary
I will be able to accept BTC for airtime within a few weeks with 100 Countries, 320 Mobile Operators

In Canada it will be: Bell Mobility, Chatr Wireless, FIDO, MTS, Rogers Wireless, SaskTel, Solo Mobile, Telus, Virgin Mobile, and Wind.

I'll try and get Koodo as well
legendary
Merit: 1037
Trusted Bitcoiner

legendary
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
Are there any services - existing or being worked on - that ?:

1) Take regular bitcoin payments
2) Convert to fiat - say buying directly on an exchange at the spot rate.
3) Pay domestic bills in a 'direct debit' fashion.
4) Perhaps with an API so that the user can pull their most recent bills into a suitable client.

It is starting to happen with intermediaries that will accept bitcoins and then will pay your bill for you using fiat.  I believe that is what SpendBitcoins is doing with BPAY in Australia.(you provide Biller Code and Customer Reference Number at checkout).

It might be quite some time before we see actual utilities start to accept bitcoin for payment.  This is partly the result of regulation and bureaucracy -- some don't even accept a payment card for bill payment yet, for example.

There was a service operating for a short while, BitcoinAgents.com that I had high hopes for.   It was intended as a buying agent service but it has a use case that is in demand.  The service was a directory of people in specific geographic area who offer to do work for a fee (paid in Bitcoins, of course).  These workers are matched with people willing to pay for tasks to be performed -- such as buying an item online as a domestic purchase and then shipping it out internationally.   I saw another use for this type of service in being able to send bitcoins and have that person make a utility payment for you (which is often something possible when using cash at many convenient locations).

Of course, that is an expensive method and doesn't scale but it would give more options for ways that bitcoins can be used.

And there's now in the U.S. mobile wireless prepaid phone ecodes available for purchase from BTCBuy.info:
 - http://btcbuy.info/CallingCards.cshtml

- AT&T GoPhone
 - Cricket PAYgo
 - Page Plus Cellular
 - Simple Mobile
 - T-Mobile
 - Virgin Mobile

I am in Europe - SEPA payment area

Don't hesitate to inquire:

By the way, important note here: we have access to a wide variety of calling cards and wireless refills, both in USA and internationally. If you are interested in purchasing PINs or direct refills for some specific carrier, please send me a message, I could get those handled on priority basis

- https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.873109

What will probably happen is BPAY or maybe BTCBuy will end up getting interviewed for a story in a business rag and the magic words:
 - "no chargebacks",
 - "zero fees" (to the payment recipient)
 and
 - "same-day settlement"
will be used.

And then all of a sudden the gears will start churning with the readers ... like "hey, we could really use that!"

And then when there is competition, one merchant will start giving a discount for Bitcoin payments versus payment cards, and once that happens it is all over... victory will be Bitcoin's!
Pages:
Jump to: