Pages:
Author

Topic: Canadian Bitcoin Scammer to Face Two Years Jail for $140k Twitter Fraud - page 2. (Read 278 times)

legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
Typical scam techniques are now being employed on cryptocurrencies to target the common victims of the said fraud, which are older women and people who are not well-educated on technology to make sure that they will always get what they wanted and easily lure people into thinking that what the scammers offer are the real deal.

It just feels so good that these scammers are getting what they deserved: jail time for causing trouble and disrupting the scene that's thriving so well even with the likes of them.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500
I really hope every single frauds and scammers get arrested by police and the victims find their justice! The numbers of such financial frauds using involving cryptos are rising at an alarming rate which is really harming the reputation of cryptos. Regulators and enforcement agencies must step in before things get out of hand.

I will not be surprised if they continue with such malpractices after they get out of the jail. Criminals usually show such signs from a very young and tender age. If they are not raised well, chances are high that they will indulge in such malpractices kver and over again!
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1655
Canadian Bitcoin Scammer to Face Two Years Jail for $140k Twitter Fraud

According to court records on 16 December, brothers Jagroop Singh Khatkar and Karanjit Singh Khatkhar pleaded guilty of conspiracy to commit a Twitter scam in July 2018.

Two Canadian Scammers Stole About 23 Bitcoins

The two brothers stole about 23 bitcoins (valued at around $ 157,000 today) from a 63-year-old Oregon woman. They were also setting up a fake Twitter account to impersonate HitBTC in Hong Kong. Karanjit and Jagroop trapped the woman to share her login credentials. And then they used this information to remove 23.2 bitcoins from the woman’s HitBTC account on Karanjit’s Kraken account.

Karanjit was arrested in July, and Jagroop surrendered on Monday, the report said. Each also pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit electronic fraud and money laundering. The two may serve a two-year sentence when authorities announce the sentence on 17 March. Jagroop is still finishing his university studies, awaiting his sentence.

https://atozmarkets.com/news/canadian-bitcoin-scammer-face-two-years-jail-140k-twitter-fraud/

court documents: https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/16078568/united-states-v-khatkar/

At least justice has been served, but I don't know if two years is enough for this two. I don't know, but I have a feeling that once they got out, they will continue their cyber crimes here. And one of them are still in university? damn he just waste two years of his life.
Pages:
Jump to: