Pages:
Author

Topic: can't change data directory bitcoin-core 0.19.0.1 ubuntu 19.10 - page 2. (Read 559 times)

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4316
It seems like that would be a "permissions" issue of some description.

You'll need to double check what user/group the app/process is running as, and what permissions the various directories have. It's quite possible that your user/group doesn't have read/execute permissions for anything higher than the "common" directory. That could explain why the app is unable to browse those directories.
Activity: 38
Merit: 6
I use another computer and I record  what I do  https://streamable.com/ve1mp

What I  observe:
  the block chain can be  downloaded only after the  "common" directory    /home/ubuntu/snap/bitcoin-core/common/.bitcoin
  if is before the directory "common"  the bitcoin QT start to give errors

I test it on a different computer , ubuntu 19.10
I'm using slightly different software versions, but this just works:
Code:
mkdir /dev/shm/bitcoin; bitcoin-qt -datadir=/dev/shm/bitcoin
It saves on /dev/shm (which is more or less a RAM-drive in Ubuntu). Can you test this, just to see if that gives you the same error?

the only way to make the bitcoin-core to work is to let  download the block chain to the default directory but that's not what I want.
Just in case: In your screenshot, you ticked pruning. That means it'll fit on the default location too.

I wanna  download the all block chain that's why I  got the 500gb hdd

but my question is why when I click the  "..." to choose the download directory the "computer" "recent places" are grey and no  directories are display. I install ubuntu 19  more then 3 times and also version 18 and the same stuff I see  the same  grey  "computer"  check out the video and you will understand exactly what I mean https://streamable.com/x1nct

If nothing else works, another idea could be to make a symlink with the name Bitcoin expects and which points wherever you want.
I did , same error the only way that the bitcoin-core can work if I let it download the blockchain to the default partition.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
If nothing else works, another idea could be to make a symlink with the name Bitcoin expects and which points wherever you want.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
I'm using slightly different software versions, but this just works:
Code:
mkdir /dev/shm/bitcoin; bitcoin-qt -datadir=/dev/shm/bitcoin
It saves on /dev/shm (which is more or less a RAM-drive in Ubuntu). Can you test this, just to see if that gives you the same error?

the only way to make the bitcoin-core to work is to let  download the block chain to the default directory but that's not what I want.
Just in case: In your screenshot, you ticked pruning. That means it'll fit on the default location too.
The GUI detected that there's already a "bitcoin" folder in that directory.
There might be something in that folder that makes bitcoin-qt to crash.

Try to delete the bitcoin folder in that partition, then try again. (backup everything if you purposely added/copied that folder).

I try other directories and in other partition, but same error I get
I install ubuntu 19.10 and 18.04.3  3 times,  I try different partitions ntfs,  ext4 , I choose a different folder but nothing  same error I get the only way to make the bitcoin-core to work is to let  download the block chain to the default directory but that's not what I want.

by 3 days I try many things but nothing , that's why I choose to open a  post here

On Ubuntu Software-Center somebody else left a review with the same  problem (he can't choose a different folder for the block chain)
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
The GUI detected that there's already a "bitcoin" folder in that directory.
There might be something in that folder that makes bitcoin-qt to crash.

Try to delete the bitcoin folder in that partition, then try again. (backup everything if you purposely added/copied that folder).
hello

I try to run bitcoin-core 0.19.01  on ubuntu 19.10 but I can't choose the data directory (I want it to be to different partition ).
When I choose change data directory  the window that's pop-up do not display the tree directory and if i write it manually (/media/user_name/multimedia(the name of the partition)/bitcoin)) I get the error " A fatal error occurred.Bitcoin can no longer continue safely and will quit "

I record the screen to see what I'm talking about

directories: media,asus,multimedia,bitcoin have 777 permision for the user asus, group, others
Even if i edit the bitcoin.conf with datadir=/media/asus/multimedia/bitcoin will not work but if I type the path where bitcoin choose to download by default will work datadir=/home/asus/snap/bitcoin-core/common/bitcoin 

Pages:
Jump to: