Pages:
Author

Topic: can't restore wallet with over 40k btc in it. Please HELP! - page 3. (Read 8143 times)

legendary
Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001
Matt apparently just made 100 btc, seems like a good days work (~1k dollars).

I would be very amazed to find out I actually get 100 btc out of this.

In case I do here is my address: 18MjdXpTyek3ESTPc2HCQnATv1jY4acUeR

I am trying to think what to do next if this does not work for the OP.
Now you could delete everything (always have a backup of wallet.dat no matter what) and start over. Delete meaning the
blockchain and everything else except the client but basically that was already done.

So what else could be the problem? Hmm

You do realise if what you suggest doesn't work, and what you just suggested now, is what my original suggestion was.
Guess where that btc should go Tongue I admit the rescan should work.

true. i got lucky and just happened on this thread at the right time. starting from scratch does not seem reasonable since
it was just done.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

Now you could delete everything (always have a backup of wallet.dat no matter what) and start over. Delete meaning the
blockchain and everything else except the client but basically that was already done.

You do realise if what you suggest doesn't work, and what you just suggested now, is what my original suggestion was.
Guess where that btc should go Tongue I admit the rescan should work.
legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
ok, doing the rescan now.  Thank you for the help!  I guess the reward will go to fcmatt if this works since he was the first to respond Smiley  I'll let you know the result as soon as the scan is done.

Makes me wonder whether this is a viable business model:
Technical support for large holders of bitcoins who have a lack of computational skills.

Most technical issues however often requires exposure to your wallet to solve things. Which in return requires a lot of trust. It's still an entertaining idea though if you can find the initial few customers who are willing to trust you with their computer and thus wallet Smiley

now this prob does not matter but how old is this wallet.dat file? are we talking ancient compared to the bitcoin client you
are running today? Just thinking outside the box... but if it was really old it would probably throw off an error like:
wallet corrupted

It was already fixed, go give him your address! Smiley

success!  where would you like your coins sent fcmatt?
legendary
now this prob does not matter but how old is this wallet.dat file? are we talking ancient compared to the bitcoin client you
are running today? Just thinking outside the box... but if it was really old it would probably throw off an error like:
wallet corrupted
donator
Activity: 994
ok, doing the rescan now.  Thank you for the help!  I guess the reward will go to fcmatt if this works since he was the first to respond Smiley  I'll let you know the result as soon as the scan is done.

Makes me wonder whether this is a viable business model:
Technical support for large holders of bitcoins who have a lack of computational skills.
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
Do you also own the other addresses that end in .031337 BTC?

what addresses are those?
legendary
'bitcoind --help' shows it, 'bitcoind help' shows commands for the running daemon. Good luck with it, if the wallet.dat file is the right one everything should be fine.

Btw, why are you offering 100BTC to recover 40 BTC??

http://blockexplorer.com/address/1MR6pXDZ6gpBVN8n61SqCNF61vU8ZzRu8Y

44,000+ btc
Activity: 22
'bitcoind --help' shows it, 'bitcoind help' shows commands for the running daemon. Good luck with it, if the wallet.dat file is the right one everything should be fine.

Btw, why are you offering 100BTC to recover 40 BTC??

Check again, 44914.03133700 is in that address.
donator
ok, doing the rescan now.  Thank you for the help!  I guess the reward will go to fcmatt if this works since he was the first to respond Smiley  I'll let you know the result as soon as the scan is done.

wow there was a reward!?  Grin
Do you also own the other addresses that end in .031337 BTC?

success!  where would you like your coins sent fcmatt?
legendary
sorry it's a bit over my head.  I did:
Code:
bitcoind help
, but didn't see a command for rescanning.  can you please be more specific about what I should type in exactly?

windows
C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitcoin\bitcoin.exe -rescan

linux

bitcoind -rescan

donator
Code:
bitcoind help
, but didn't see a command for rescanning.  can you please be more specific about what I should type in exactly?
This should do the trick:

Code:
bitcoind -rescan

bitcoind --help
Code:
bitcoind help

bitcoind -rescan

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin
Activity: 938
Code:
bitcoind help
This should do the trick:

Code:
bitcoind -rescan

If that still doesn't fix it you could try the undocumented -checkblocks, please note that this can take quite some time.

Code:
bitcoind -checkblocks
Code:
bitcoind help
As you can see, the address is present in the wallet, and the blockchain is up to date, yet the balance reads zero.  If anyone with the correct privileges feels it is appropriate, I would very much appreciate a repost of this in the main tech support section.  100 btc to anyone who can help me solve this problem.  Thanks!

That certainly is a lot of BTC, good luck in getting them back. From the sounds of it the rescan is exactly what's needed.
Just follow these steps:
Shut down the Bitcoin program.
Copy your backed-up wallet.dat into your bitcoin data directory.
If copying into existing profile, delete files blk*.dat to make the client re-download the block chain.

*pray to which ever god of your choosing*

Generally speaking aslong as you have these backups, you are fine.
Pages:
Jump to: