Pages:
Author

Topic: Can't sign a message with bitcoin core - page 2. (Read 308 times)

Activity: 1176
Merit: 647
I rather die on my feet than to live on my knees
June 02, 2022, 05:11:55 PM
That is the case. Receive Bitcoin. The app I'm buying from is asking me to sign a message so that it can confirm I'm actually the owner of that address!
This is just my opinion, I think you can also wait for the opinion of others.

You can do this offline, not make the Electrum wallet sychronize with the blockchain:
If you are able to the export/see the  private key (child private key, not master private key), of the address you use for purchase, you can import it on Electrum, sign a message with the address on Electrum. Use Tor.

After you have successfully done that and successfully make the purchase, you can delete the Electrum wallet.

Well, thing is that I didn't want to expose the priv key to the internet. I create these addresses in offline nodes so that the priv keys never "sees" the internet!
If I don't have another way, I'll do that, and then, I will create a fresh new address in my offline node and transfer the Bitcoin there!
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
June 02, 2022, 05:04:15 PM
That is the case. Receive Bitcoin. The app I'm buying from is asking me to sign a message so that it can confirm I'm actually the owner of that address!
This is just my opinion, I think you can also wait for the opinion of others.

You can do this offline, not make the Electrum wallet sychronize with the blockchain:
If you are able to export the private key (child private key, not master private key), of the address you use for purchase, you can import it on Electrum, sign a message with the address on Electrum.

After you have successfully done that and successfully make the purchase, you can delete the Electrum wallet.
June 02, 2022, 04:51:01 PM
This may not be necessary, but just saying. If you can not sign a message with Bitcoin Core using natiive segwit address, you can use Electrum using Tor to generate address and sign message from there. That do not affect your privacy unless you want to use the address for sending and receiving bitcoin.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
June 02, 2022, 04:41:31 PM
This may not be necessary, but just saying. If you can not sign a message with Bitcoin Core using natiive segwit address, you can use Electrum using Tor to generate address and sign message from there. That do not affect your privacy unless you want to use the address for sending and receiving bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
June 02, 2022, 04:18:49 PM
So, why am I getting this error message??
As far as I know, Bitcoin Core can't sign messages from Bech32 addresses.
June 02, 2022, 04:11:05 PM
Hello.

I'm trying to sign a message with the node that created an address but I'm getting the error message saying:
Code:
$ bitcoin-cli signmessage "bc1.......................8x" "I confirm to be the sole owner of the (BTC) address used for b.....4-e...-45.....-b.....-dc..........."
error code: -3
error message:
Address does not refer to key

If I unlock the wallet and dump the priv key, it dumps it, which I think it means the address was created with this node for sure or at least that this node has the priv key.

So, why am I getting this error message??
Pages:
Jump to: