Pages:
Author

Topic: Care of security and don't store your coins on exchanges! - page 7. (Read 1492 times)

Activity: 893
Merit: 43
Random coins :)
-zip-
Never store more in exchanges than you actually need for buying other coins.
A crypto hack can also happen to big exchanges
for the purpose of  storing coins, an exchange has never been an option but then again people who lose funds because an exchange got hacked never have the intention of holding them there, it could be that they have long term buys or sells which were set some time back then happened to have been excuted...and crypto then seats in their exchange wallets awaiting owners withdraw.
Let's not forget people are now making a living off crypto.

Activity: 1050
Merit: 254
You are right, it's better to withdrawal all your coins and stored in your own wallet than stored your coins on the exchanges but for some exchanges i stored some, only for popular and big exchange like Binance and Bittrex. Also never stored on small exchange like cryptopia, this exchange sucks hard compared with binance.
Activity: 405
Merit: 11
It is true that storing coins in a wallet is safer than in an exchange market. Exchange exchanges are very vulnerable to hacking so we must be vigilant if we have coins in the exchange market. If we are indeed an active trader and have a lot of coins to trade then we can save enough stock according to what we are actively trading. The rest we can store in our wallet because it will be safer. Do not keep all coins in the exchange market because it is very dangerous especially when we are exhausted and out of control so it is very easy to hack the coin.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008
None of the exchanges, no matter how old or reliable they are can be taken as 100% reliable. I learnt the lesson in a hard way, after BTC-e closed down and lost some of my coins. Anyway, exchanges are meant for trading your coins and not a place to store your coins. If you wish to trade, then deposit the coins, trade them and withdraw them as soon as the trading activity is over.
copper member
Activity: 1120
Merit: 2
 Cry A lot of beautiful informative posts. That's right, big companies are not able to give us any Security  in the currency. It is a big loss for ordinary investors. It is not only loss but it is a big threat.
That's why we all should adopt the simplicity.
Activity: 700
Merit: 27
Sovryn - Brings DeFi to Bitcoin
This is why I prefer p2p exchanges where you only have to send from your contract address to the other ,more like insta swap ,no need for profile on the exchanges to keep coins ,so ultimately no hacks
Activity: 812
Merit: 256
If you do not trading Crypto on an Exchange s for a long time, it should be withdrawn to your personal wallet to ensure safety! Because, Next time, they can delete the pair of Altcoin-related to coin you hold, may be hacked, it will hurt you!
Activity: 714
BountyMarketCap
I think it depends on the quality of the security exchanger itself, I keep my coins on MEW, it's safe there is no problem.
copper member
Activity: 462
Merit: 1
Thanks for the advice. It's a bad thing and not always secure to store your Altcoins on exchange platforms. I lost about $500 on a coin I store on a particular exchange.
Activity: 812
Merit: 251
If you want to increase easily the security of your coins you can do it by a simple step. Just withdraw your coins from the exchange to a personal safe wallet where you have the private keys. In case if the exchange gets hacked your funds are safu. Never store more in exchanges than you actually need for buying other coins.
A crypto hack can also happen to big exchanges, like it happended to Cryptopia, a big exchange from new zealand where huge amounts of crypto funds were stolen from people that had their coins stored on the exchange when the hack happend. All users that had withdrawn the fund before were safe because they stored their coins in their own wallets.
Even big exchanges are no guarantee that they can't be hacked, so better be safe and store your coins yourself.

Storing your coins safely will prevent your coins from getting hacked and you won't lose your crypto by exchange hacks.  Smiley

Everything here especially in the exchange all of them actually have risk, now this will up to you and depend on how you gonna trust in it.
Because in my experience I have coins in coinbene for more than 12 months and yet so far I never encounter any problem issues about it, just all what I did was that I activated the 2FA authentication. Though, I knew all centralized exchange has risk involved.
legendary
Activity: 2450
Merit: 1047
This should be the first thing all crypto holders and investors should learn, you are your own bank and knowledge is power when it comes to being a part of the cryptocurrency community, I expect everybody to know this, skip this and you will regret later.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 310
You're right. We must take care of the safety of our funds. Recent events with the Binance exchange have shown us that even the most reliable and secure exchanges can still be attacked by hackers. This once again showed us that no one should be trusted.

Yes! We must always bear in mind this famous law on computer science - Murphy's Law which states that "If something can go wrong, it will" as this simply explains that no system, be it a pc, software, OS, blockchain, exchanges, etc are 100 percent safe. There will be unfortunate events that would likely to happen sooner or later though we can't stop it, we can do something to minimize its possibility to happen or make necessary actions to mitigate any untoward incident that could occur.
Activity: 392
Merit: 2
Keep your holdings on the exchanges is not the smartest move as they could be hacked anytime.
Even the biggest exchanges like Binance are not an exception from hack. We have to hold only
the coins we are trading with on exchanges, the rest on hardware wallets.
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028
Duelbits.com
Since trading in an inherent activity in cryptoverse, sooner or later we will transfer our digital assets to exchanges on which we have no control and one way to minimize risks is to be knowledgeable on the ways that intruders might stole our assets and identify tactics on how to prevent it. These are some of the most common practices most crypto hodlers do namely:

1. Trade on exchanges which prioritizes security and exercises different security mechanisms e.g. 2fa, email verification, ip whitelisting

2. Trade on exchanges which has an emergency insurance fund that can cover the damages from its clients once an attack occurs (e.g. Binance SAFU)

2. Don't store digital assets on exchanges for a longer period of time as OP has suggested

3. Avoid being a victim of phishing sites (check url integrity, bookmarking previous trusted sites, avoid phishing emails - suggesting any unwanted account access)

4. Be vigilant and suspicious always and don't be complacent about security. Always investigate any unusual activity.

5. Secure your computer system (installing antivirus, firewalls, use password manager, use of file encryption, hardware wallet)

Thanks for sharing these tips, very valuable information for new traders.

Having two types of wallet can solve the problem of holding the crypto for the long term duration. Backup wallet for storing the coins and exchange wallet for short term trading. I can't imagine what will happen to the price of BTC if Binance doesn't give back the funds of investors.
Activity: 572
Merit: 10
You're right. We must take care of the safety of our funds. Recent events with the Binance exchange have shown us that even the most reliable and secure exchanges can still be attacked by hackers. This once again showed us that no one should be trusted.
Activity: 184
Storing coins in exchanges is not advisable, is better saving all this coins inside a personal wallet and keep the wallet login details very safe. This is very much preferable
copper member
Activity: 294
It is not totally possible for everyone not to have coins at the exchange, except one is not trading, even at that their could be time when one would have placed a sell order. For who do not have any trading purposes this does not apply to them. In all these one has to be lucky not to fall victim, the hack can happen as soon as one is sending his coin to the exchange to sell.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 104
GoMeat - Digitalizing Meat Stores - ICO
Truly anyone still doing this is only risking his assets. If a secure exchange like Binance can get hacked what more is there to say about keeping funds on exchanges. No matter how big or small the assets is, keep it off exchanges.
The crypto space is getting more valuable each day thus the need to always protect our assets, which can be done by using personal wallet; that is a wallet we control.
Activity: 238
I always tell my friends, if you are not a day trader, never store your coins on exchange sites because they are not safe over there. you have your own wallet and you owns its private key to yourself making it safer for you, why store them on your exchange sites and put your coins at risk. I work hard for the coin I hold and store and to me, its not safer storing them on exchange sites and I prefer storing them in my private wallet.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
I agree with the author,in recent time, often appear to news about the hacking of exchanges.But I keep money in my stock account on exchange. After all, there are times when you need to urgently buy or sell something,and while you transfer from wallet to exchange-you lose time.

7074 btc was lost when Binance was hacked. I could not imagine that it would happen with this exchange as it is supposed to be one of the safest ones. They managed to steal almost 42 million dollars (if we use BTC/USD rate for this time).
However, the information that Bitcoin would fall now was wrong. The situation is quite different now - BTC seems to be awakened again. probably, it is really better not to hold your crypto on exchanges, if these things can happen.
Pages:
Jump to: