Pages:
Author

Topic: Caribbean Pirates had a Better System of Government - page 2. (Read 259 times)

Activity: 1470
Merit: 325
While this wouldn't work for nations the size of the major nations of the world, it might work better than having counties in the several States.

Caribbean Pirates had a Better System of Government

Pirates had to work together to successfully plunder and rob.

The average old-timey Caribbean-type pirate ship during the 17th and 18th centuries consisted of 80 pirates, and some pirate crews reached into the hundreds.

But pirates were not known for being the most orderly people.

How did ruffians who thought nothing of murder work together to relieve massive armed merchant vessels of their goods? And how could one pirate be sure his hard work wouldn't simply be stolen by a rival, or expropriated by the Captain?

Caribbean piracy was effective and profitable, in short, because they formed an effective legal system. Pirate ships were like tiny floating governments.

And while pirates were clearly horrible to outsiders, internally, they actually had a fair and efficient system of governance.

Each ship would put together their own set of rules or articles. These essentially formed the government aboard each ship.

Cool

for pirates robbing was work they had to rob or they would be poor and starve, you say they had a better system of government, but do you know what a high mortality rate they had? they died like flies.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
The more you post things, the more you show yourself to be a slave monger.

Both Britain and the USA fought hard for their freedom. Now all you want to do is give the people back into slavery against the codes and laws that are made and posted by government, but that government people disobey, themselves.

You play the game that you are a nice little law abiding free man, but you are constantly fighting against freedom by applying the laws in areas where they are not supposed to be applied.

And then when someone shows what you are doing, all you can do is badmouth them.

If you want slavery so bad, it will be easy for you to jump right into it. There are loads of people who would like to have you as a slave. But why do you want to enslave others right along with yourself? Is it that misery loves company, or what?

Cool
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
each new topic you make reveals more about your moral compass

driving on public road without following highway code. shows you have no regard about contracts, tresspass or property
desire to be a pirate. shows you have no regard to property, punishment

sounds like you want to be a irresponsible thief that has no regard to others, just as long as you can get paid from it

just goes to show what information you have been reading to sway or morals in such direction
legendary
^^^ Blah, blah, blah.

franky1. if you were onboard and said
"nah captain, i feel like taking a rest day today as i have my own freedoms to control my own body"(your usual rhetoric) the captain will say "fine control your body in the water, goodbye"
and no he wont give you food, lifejacket and a lifeboat. he would just feed you to the sharks

Blah, blah, blah.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
no

their law was for even petty things the got thrown off the ship(death)
it was not solidarity, it was fear of life

other pirates would persuade each other not to break the rules of the boat because one less hand onboard means more work for the others

the only time they kept prisoners was if the prisoner had value back on shore. why feed and hydrate someone with no value, who is not helping out the crew and is just dead weight

it wasnt about brotherhood or companionship. or morals. it was about survival
in many cases once they are heading back to shore after their thievery they would kill off a few crew to reduce the amount of people vs treasure.
there was also a hierachy with the captain being the tyrant

so dont think a pirate is all peace, loving brotherhood of equality

badecker. if you were onboard and said
"nah captain, i feel like taking a rest day today as i have my own freedoms to control my own body"(your usual rhetoric) the captain will say "fine control your body in the water, goodbye"
and no he wont give you food, lifejacket and a lifeboat. he would just feed you to the sharks
legendary
While this wouldn't work for nations the size of the major nations of the world, it might work better than having counties in the several States.

Caribbean Pirates had a Better System of Government

Pirates had to work together to successfully plunder and rob.

The average old-timey Caribbean-type pirate ship during the 17th and 18th centuries consisted of 80 pirates, and some pirate crews reached into the hundreds.

But pirates were not known for being the most orderly people.

How did ruffians who thought nothing of murder work together to relieve massive armed merchant vessels of their goods? And how could one pirate be sure his hard work wouldn't simply be stolen by a rival, or expropriated by the Captain?

Caribbean piracy was effective and profitable, in short, because they formed an effective legal system. Pirate ships were like tiny floating governments.

And while pirates were clearly horrible to outsiders, internally, they actually had a fair and efficient system of governance.

Each ship would put together their own set of rules or articles. These essentially formed the government aboard each ship.

Cool
Pages:
Jump to: