Pages:
Author

Topic: Casascius Bitcoin POS system - page 4. (Read 10024 times)

legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003
October 01, 2011, 02:53:59 PM
Having a second machine would not be too hard for most stores if it saved them a few percent on some sales. 

I doubt most merchants would want a second machine just for Bitcoin. Why spend $250 for another machine when you could just have Bitcoin capability on your cell phone for free?

It needs to be integrated or it will not be used. I understand the difficulties in doing so. Someone should be able to come up with something.

Due to the strict device signing used by credit card companies I really doubt this could happen.  They don't want to help bitcoin along at all. 

If you can use a smartphone POS solution that is great, and I think many merchants will go that route.  But the more choices the better, and a machine like this one would pay for itself in one year with $400 a month in bitcoin transactions instead of credit card.  Clearly someone who does little volume won't use this but an established store with real volume would find it of value.  It could be more locked down then a smartphone application.

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
October 01, 2011, 02:36:58 PM
Having a second machine would not be too hard for most stores if it saved them a few percent on some sales.  

I doubt most merchants would want a second machine just for Bitcoin. Why spend $250 for another machine when you could just have Bitcoin capability on your cell phone for free?

It needs to be integrated or it will not be used. I understand the difficulties in doing so. Someone should be able to come up with something.

Smartphone requires that both parts have a smartphone with the bitcoin software, and is not appliable if you've a worker in the shop.
That kind of POS can be used even by a non tech (and I mean a non tech customer): you give him a card, put some $$$ on it (paying in cash) and then use like a normal credit card.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
October 01, 2011, 02:24:02 PM

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
October 01, 2011, 01:55:24 PM
Very cool!
legendary
October 01, 2011, 01:43:12 PM
I'm searchin one to make some test too here in Italy: which models are compatible with your code?
legendary
October 01, 2011, 11:05:04 AM
I was able to incorporate qrencode into the source, and got it to print the QR codes on the printer, as well as show one on the screen.  This is the first time I have ever made a VeriFone POS machine render a QR code, but it seems to have worked pretty well.

I pushed the relevant code to github.

I could obtain a vx570 in about a month and help do testing.   Are there any other models that run similar code?

legendary
October 01, 2011, 09:28:30 AM
That's really a nice idea, and for what I could read very well designed.
I'm thinking on proposing that to some shops near where I live (even if there are very few bitcoin user here): it could be a "reverse promotion" of bitcoins, instead of being the customers to ask to the shop owners to implement bitcoin, it could be the shop holder to propose to customers to use them.
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
October 01, 2011, 07:32:09 AM
lovely!!!
now that you're done with this, here is your next homework: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Smart_card_wallet
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
October 01, 2011, 05:08:28 AM
What/who do you need to trust,
* As a merchant?
* As a customer?
* Man in the middle attacks?
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
October 01, 2011, 03:39:14 AM
Nice work.
vip
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
October 01, 2011, 03:13:15 AM
I was able to incorporate qrencode into the source, and got it to print the QR codes on the printer, as well as show one on the screen.  This is the first time I have ever made a VeriFone POS machine render a QR code, but it seems to have worked pretty well.

I pushed the relevant code to github.

Activity: 238
Merit: 100
October 01, 2011, 01:46:14 AM
*Applaud!!!*
Nice Work
vip
October 01, 2011, 12:37:12 AM
Here is the code for what I have so far (which is essentially a hello world) and what went into the image above... also meant as an introduction to the programming environment used on these.

https://github.com/casascius/vfbitcoin
vip
October 01, 2011, 12:36:05 AM
The VX570's are about $250 refurbed on ebay.  While it would be ideal to have the same machine do standard credit cards, it would probably not be able to do them as Casacius says above.  Having a second machine would not be too hard for most stores if it saved them a few percent on some sales.  

The Vx510s are cheaper and are exactly the same but without a USB port.  (other minor cosmetic differences too, but same capabilities).

EDIT: The Vx570s, having a USB port, can also take their programming from a USB flash drive.  This makes tinkering a whole lot easier if you don't have the SDK and all the gear (these are normally flashed via serial or via dialup modem).  If you pick up a Vx570, I can compile and sign a binary, send it to you, and you can just flash your own unit through the USB port.  Of course, I do own a dialup server that also incorporates the dialup flashing, so assuming this ever takes off, I will have the means to help you flash your units you buy on eBay or whatever.

By the way, all of these terminals can be acquired either new, or well-refurbished, in the $200 to $300 price range.  Refurbished terminals often look very good, because they get acquired when merchants go out of business or upgrade, and the refurbishers often completely replace the exterior parts (which will make them appear new - it depends on the refurbisher).  Buy them only from people who are selling the terminal straight-out, not from somebody who also sets up merchant accounts.

Be aware that Ethernet is an option on these models (the standard comm is dialup), so if you ever have the urge to buy one of these, make sure you get the model with Ethernet (also known as dual comm or abbreviated DC).
legendary
October 01, 2011, 12:26:58 AM
The VX570's are about $250 refurbed on ebay.  While it would be ideal to have the same machine do standard credit cards, it would probably not be able to do them as Casacius says above.  Having a second machine would not be too hard for most stores if it saved them a few percent on some sales. 
vip
October 01, 2011, 12:21:54 AM
Would it be able to handle credit/debit cards as well?  Or would the device have to be bitcoin only?

Depends on how it gets written and how nicely it plays with the VeriFone multi-application coordinator.  It's definitely possible in theory - but there is also another practical hurdle.  It only runs signed code, and if you get a terminal from a bank, the terminal may only run code signed by the bank, if they have enabled this feature.  On the contrary, if you have an "unlocked" terminal (like I have, and like most terminals actually are), the code still has to be signed, but with a key they give away freely in their SDK.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1007
October 01, 2011, 12:17:12 AM
Would it be able to handle credit/debit cards as well?  Or would the device have to be bitcoin only?
vip
October 01, 2011, 12:12:50 AM
a payment rejection is the receipt of another confirmed transaction on the Bitcoin network that purports to spend the same funds to a different payee, invalidating the original transaction paying you.

How about a payment that just isn't confirming.  For example, let's say no fee was paid and no miners have included it?

Then it remains unconfirmed until it confirms, just like on the Bitcoin client.  If not enough of a fee was paid to even get it relayed, it wouldn't have heard about the transaction.  Keep in mind that this is a spec - my imagination for how such a product should work in the end - not how it actually does.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
September 30, 2011, 11:55:31 PM
Too complex for most cashiers. I would have 2-3 modes.
1. A QR self-service smartphone type.
2. Pre-loaded bitbills-type cards that have the entire balance transfered and then change returned to the consumer's public address on their ID.
3. Possibly the ability to return change to a semi-secure paper bitbill that is printed (I don't trust magnetic strips) and a backup sent to an escrow that will expire if spent or not claimed within a reasonable time.

[Edit] After seeing the photo, I see what you are talking about. I would buy these and use them just to sell bitcoin stored value cards.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
September 30, 2011, 10:53:15 PM
a payment rejection is the receipt of another confirmed transaction on the Bitcoin network that purports to spend the same funds to a different payee, invalidating the original transaction paying you.

How about a payment that just isn't confirming.  For example, let's say no fee was paid and no miners have included it?
Pages:
Jump to: