Pages:
Author

Topic: CBDCs are not an "opportunity". They'll likely offer you less than you have now. - page 2. (Read 232 times)

legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
So far fiat are traded using broker which are also providing exchange platforms to trade fiat, that means people will be able to trade CBDCs also, but with the brokers or exchanges that can follow the rules of the countries that created the CBDCs.

It wouldn't surprise me if they insisted people be registered, accredited brokers before they're allowed to do anything like day-trade one national CBDC against another.

It would work out as another ponzi, the early adopter would definitely gain handsomely, they need some take the initiative and also paid them a lot to make sure everything could take off, you may get less if you are late, I’m certain those get in early would gain most of them, sadly you won’t be one of the early, those early spots would likely taken to the ponzi master and the bankers.

Nope.  Fiat currencies, broken though they may be, aren't a ponzi scheme.  There won't be any benefit for adopting early.  You're just surrendering your privacy and autonomy faster by doing that.  They will retain the same value as the existing national currency.  In other words, you can't profit by selling your digital national currency back for the same physical national currency.  All it means is that cash will be gradually phased out as more people adopt the digital version.
Activity: 170
Merit: 4
It would work out as another ponzi, the early adopter would definitely gain handsomely, they need some take the initiative and also paid them a lot to make sure everything could take off, you may get less if you are late, I’m certain those get in early would gain most of them, sadly you won’t be one of the early, those early spots would likely taken to the ponzi master and the bankers.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1118
...gambling responsibly. Do not be addicted.
I honestly don't understand why people are actually looking forward by this.  People seem to think you'll be trading them on exchanges like you do with cryptocurrencies.  I think this is a little naive.  You'll only be sending funds to an exchange if the central bank, government, regulators, etc allow you to.  And I highly doubt they will allow that.  Why would they?  Keep in mind that they will likely have the power to freeze, or even seize, funds and also reverse any transactions they don't approve of.  If they decide they don't want your coins being on an exchange, they're as good as gone.  All it takes is them making a quick adjustment to their ledger, which they will easily be able to do.  At any time and for any reason.  You won't have a say in the matter.  
So far fiat are traded using broker which are also providing exchange platforms to trade fiat, that means people will be able to trade CBDCs also, but with the brokers or exchanges that can follow the rules of the countries that created the CBDCs. But CBDCs will be coins that will not let people to have privacy, it will just be a coin of modern day monetary slavery, I mean monetary slavery because the government will have full control over it, not individuals. In my opinion, I can not have any CBDC because I like privacy, digital fiat lack privacy, but CBDCs will lack privacy more than fiat.
Activity: 889
Merit: 60
There's no official consensus yet how CBDCs should work and what kind of platform they should run on, but one of the main things will be privacy bcause public blockchains are uncompliant with GDPR. Take a look what Dusk Network is building for example, that's one of the solutions that could work. But eventually we might be getting a better deal then we thought, a system that replaces physical cash and doesn't go China's way, but acts as a alternative for full blown govenrment tracking program.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
Yeah point 2 applies especially to current centralised exchanges as well as things like national debt.

Countries could just start wiping the slate clear by altering a couple of numbers. There's a chance some countries will offer a decentralised solution but it won't be as secure as the current blockchains we have now (dcr, eth and btc).

Additionally, chances of getting physicals like gold on chains allows for even more inflation to be added to the asset (as has already been done with vaulted gold). There could be algorithmic increases too thst are harder to track (eg you possess a kilo today, 980 grams next year, 965 grams the year after)...
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
Let's settle this once and for all.  There are few, if any, reasons to be excited about the "potential" of CBDCs.  Assuming they even happen, they will just be a continuation of existing national currencies, only without the physical coins and banknotes.  If you have no current interest in buying and holding everyday, normal fiat currencies like Yuan, Pound Sterling, Dollars and others, then equally you should have no interest in buying and holding any CBDCs.  If anything, they will offer you far less freedom and autonomy than you currently have, because they'll try to phase out physical cash, which offers you privacy and anonymity.  Why would you support something that sacrifices that?  Don't buy the hype.  CBDCs are nothing more than the next step in the war on cash and continued erosion of your freedoms.

I honestly don't understand why people are actually looking forward by this.  People seem to think you'll be trading them on exchanges like you do with cryptocurrencies.  I think this is a little naive.  You'll only be sending funds to an exchange if the central bank, government, regulators, etc allow you to.  And I highly doubt they will allow that.  Why would they?  Keep in mind that they will likely have the power to freeze, or even seize, funds and also reverse any transactions they don't approve of.  If they decide they don't want your coins being on an exchange, they're as good as gone.  All it takes is them making a quick adjustment to their ledger, which they will easily be able to do.  At any time and for any reason.  You won't have a say in the matter.  

When they're cherry-picking which parts of our technology they're going to utilise, do you really think they're going to keep the parts that benefit you?  Of course they won't.  They'll take any parts that allow them to monitor, surveil, record and document every single move you make.  That's all they're interested in.  CBDCs will give those in authority absolute and total control.  To be perfectly blunt, you're an absolute fool if you would unquestioningly welcome that proposition.  Whatever opportunities you thought it was going to give you, think again.  If anything it will likely take away some of the few rights you still have remaining.
Pages:
Jump to: