Pages:
Author

Topic: CFO of Chinese tech giant Huawei arrested in Canada for extradition to the US - page 2. (Read 342 times)

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1756
Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!
Canada is just USA little bitch.

Agreed, Canada = America's hat. The fact that they're following the US's orders here isn't unexpected at all.

-Canada and the United States trade more than $2
billion in goods and services daily.

-U.S. exports to Canada exceeded total U.S. exports
to China, Japan, South Korea and Singapore
combined in 2014

-Canada exports more goods to the State of Michigan than it
does to the European Union

-The United States and Canada share a $1.4 trillion bilateral trade and
investment relationship.

https://photos.state.gov/libraries/canada/303578/pdfs/us-canada-economic-relations-factsheet.pdf

As a good old capitalist Country Canada has pretty good economic incentive to not piss off their largest customer.  Culturally we align with Americans for obvious geographic and lineage reasons.

It doesn't happen often that Canada does something against the US, it's a no brainer why we don't and in reality most of time we go along with the US cause we actually agree with them haha.  However it has happened before, most notably when Chretien didn't send troops to Iraq because there was no UN resolution.  I remember being pleasantly shocked by the move, I think it was one of the best decisions Chretien made while in office.

If there is enough evidence to indict her than Canada should have arrested her and extradition to the US should begin immediately after she has been given her due process in Canada.  Canada isn't the world court to adjudicate US China international trade sanctions cases.  If the US is indicting her through the legal process Canada doesn't have legal right to not arrest and extradite her, they would be breaking a bi-lateral agreement with a really close ally and customer.

Canada extradites people wanted from many countries they have bi-lateral agreements with not just the US. If the US is using her as a political tool that's on the US!
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13027

Agreed, Canada = America's hat. The fact that they're following the US's orders here isn't unexpected at all.

The whole "rule of law" myth will go right out of the window here, I'm sure. This arrest will be used exclusively as a bargaining chip, and whatever the outcome is, it will have nothing to do with her guilt or innocence.
Activity: 574
Merit: 152
Just think if Julian Assange went to Canada...

Violating trade sanctions is criminal? I thought it was a civil penalty. I guess if they're middle-eastern rather than eastern European, that makes a world of different.
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1251

They're nearly not a sovereign state concerning global international policies.

This arrestation isn't good for anyone and won't lead to anything but a rise of world tension. It won't change China policy, won't change Huawei line, won't change USA policies...
It doesn't change anything but gives another reason for the two powers to fight.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1756
Verified Bernie Bro - Feel The Bern!
Yesterday the CFO and deputy chairwomen of Huawei (the planets largest network equipment maker) was arrested in Canada at the request of the US for extradition to the US.  "She is wanted by the United States for allegedly contravening U.S. trade sanctions against Iran."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-huawei-arrest-cfo-1.4934269

Canada should hold her hostage and have a bidding war.  See who wants here more the US or the Chinese?  Wink  Cool

I think we should turn her over to our comrades.  Cool

Pages:
Jump to: