Pages:
Author

Topic: Challenge: Get a presidential candidate to accept bitcoin donations - page 2. (Read 2627 times)

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
I regret to inform you that I will have to withdraw my candidacy for President of the United States of America. Due to certain practical and legal realities, and the failure of my campaign to raise any money despite running for an ENTIRE 12 MINUTES, I am forced to conclude that it's just unrealistic at this time. When America is ready for me, I will still be ready for her. I thank my imaginary supporters for their imaginary support.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
It will never happen. Not because its not a good idea, but rather every dollar must be matched with every donor. We dont want undue foreign influence in the political process. Plus it would take a candidate ages to convert the btc into cash. Think about it.  A candidate accepts $1,000,000 and it would take 1000 days to convert the money. By then the election will be over.
legendary
I am hereby officially announcing my candidacy for President of the United States as a write in candidate. I accept donations in BitCoins at this address: 1LnfUmmkYjT77PqyKVasADPwPokqwEcLKx (Note: Donations may not be used in ways that directly further my candidacy, unless I can think of some good ones.)

If you make bitcoin the official currency of the world then you've got my vote!
I think making bitcoin an 'official currency' would actually be too ironic. But how about this -- my primary platform will be eliminating all legal obstacles, first in the United States and then in the entire world, to using BitCoins for all the things other currencies are used for. I commit specifically to the current protocol and hash chain. (I reserve the right not to commit to accepting Satoshi's key to shut things off.)
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
I am hereby officially announcing my candidacy for President of the United States as a write in candidate. I accept donations in BitCoins at this address: 1LnfUmmkYjT77PqyKVasADPwPokqwEcLKx (Note: Donations may not be used in ways that directly further my candidacy, unless I can think of some good ones.)

If you make bitcoin the official currency of the world then you've got my vote!
Activity: 252
Merit: 251
Knowing how money hungry politicians are during campaign time, this might not be an entirely dead idea.

Considering the prospect of hundreds of thousands in potential additional funding, some candidates might be willing to deal with the scrutiny that will fall upon bitcoin after they accept donations in it.

Then again, it could be political suicide at this stage.
How will they convert it to fiat currency to buy ad time etc.?

Reporters will most likely refer to it as money laundering or evil drug schemes based on Silk Road.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
The problem is that bitcoins are pseudo-anonymous and political donations are striclty controlled.
legendary
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
It might be tough this year as I don't think Ron Paul is running.  President Obama and other high profile candidates probably don't want the political risk of accepting bitcoins, but if one candidate could do it it would be a publicity boon to the coin.  They are so desperate for money when they campaign that they might just go for it.
Pages:
Jump to: