Pages:
Author

Topic: [CHALLENGE] Run A Bitcoin Node: 14 Days To 14 Merits - page 126. (Read 27996 times)

Activity: 322
Merit: 318
The Alliance Of Bitcointalk Translators - ENG>BAN
Had some questions/confusions etc! Smiley

1. How do I run this? Never used this, so I have 0 idea. Need a guide.
2. I have very less storage. Total 250GB SSD. But only 70-80GB free.
3. What if there were frequent load shedding or network/wifi/isp related problems? Where I live load shedding is very common and my internet connection isn't always stable. It's very common.
4. How much bandwidth would I need? My connection is only 5 mbps.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18697
Isn't it understandable, though?
It defeats a large part of the reason to run your own node though. If you are going to download a snapshot from elsewhere and trust it completely, then just continue connecting to third party nodes and trust them completely. The whole point is to download and verify the data yourself.

I've got two drives on my laptop, one SSD and one HDD, but both are barely over 700 GB in capacity, with the HDD used to store all large files whatsoever. I'm unable to download that much data, but I could do it with 60–70 GB, or perhaps a little more, if that's okay.
You don't need to store the full 500 GB while performing the initial block download. If you set to prune at 50 GB, then it will only ever keep 50 GB on disk despite downloading the full 500 GB.

If you want to store the bulk of the data on your HDD, I would suggest installing Core on your SSD and then moving the blocks folder to your HDD. It will run much faster this way.
Activity: 952
Merit: 555
This is not even about the merits offered, but the fact that many will be privileged to make use of this for their very first time in life, so I see it as an encouragement to motivate others get themselves busy with something meaningful and important that could help their cryptocurrency career, we are doing all this things not for now but also for the sake of future benefits that might comes in through it, if we are into something, then learning to be the best and do the best is never an offense if the avenue is created for us to learn, develope and improve ourselves, thanks to NotATether for this.
copper member
Activity: 1330
Merit: 899
🖤😏

That's not how Bitcoin works. It downloads all blocks from start to finish, but it discards all but the last N megabytes of recent block data.

Convince me why that should be the case, to first download the whole blockchain just to discard it later? Who designed that logic?
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
To incentivize people to run a node, I am running a merit challenge. Run Bitcoin Core on your computer for 14 days, to receive 14 merits from me!
Well done.
To join and support this initiative I will send additional random number of merits to all (or most) of the members that are confirmed by NotATether to really run a bitcoin node.

Fellow members please don't try to cheat in any way, if you don't want to earn something else instead of merits.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 6660
bitcoincleanup.com / bitmixlist.org
So if I set a limit for 1GB prune mode, it will only download the last 1 gigabyte of block data? And that could earn me 14 merits? If yes then I'm on it boss. 😉

That's not how Bitcoin works. It downloads all blocks from start to finish, but it discards all but the last N megabytes of recent block data.

Since pruning is allowed, i expect someone will try download pruned node snapshot from 3rd party in order to skip download first 500GB+ of blockchain.

No pruned blockstate images exist in the wild though - someone would actually have to run the client in order to make such data.

I do not count "airdropped merit" differently from any other merits.
Activity: 1680
Merit: 845
Great challenge, and hats off to you for contributing to the community. I'm also considering participating when I get back home, even though I've never done it before, so it'll be interesting to see how it works.
Since pruning is allowed, i expect someone will try download pruned node snapshot from 3rd party in order to skip download first 500GB+ of blockchain.
Isn't it understandable, though? I've got two drives on my laptop, one SSD and one HDD, but both are barely over 700 GB in capacity, with the HDD used to store all large files whatsoever. I'm unable to download that much data, but I could do it with 60–70 GB, or perhaps a little more, if that's okay.
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
  • This challenge is open for anyone with <1000 merit.
<1000 merit in total received merit or including airdrop?

• You may run with any other configuration options as you like, such as pruning.
Activity: 644
Merit: 139
Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com
So if I set a limit for 1GB prune mode, it will only download the last 1 gigabyte of block data? And that could earn me 14 merits? If yes then I'm on it boss. 😉

i think daily for 14days you have to submit this

Every 24 hours, you need to run bitcoin-cli getblockchaininfo and paste the output here in code-blocks like below. This is to prove that you are actually running a node.
OP need this as to see if you really run the node for 14days
copper member
Activity: 1330
Merit: 899
🖤😏
I would like to try this since i have not try this before, only run other nodes , it said that 500Gb for first download, so meaning i need like not less than 600gb disk space right correct me if im wrong sir thank you.

Yes, that is correct.

Or if you have less disk space then you can run Bitcoin Core in pruning mode like this: bitcoind -prune=2000 this makes Bitcoin Core use up to 2000 Megabytes of disk space (2GB) by deleting older blocks. You can set it to any other value you want, for example bitcoind -prune=100000 for 100,000 Megabytes (100GB). But if possible, it is recommended to store all blocks.
Thank you sir I have already started it, trying to learn other things in the forum like this one
legendary
I would like to try this since i have not try this before, only run other nodes , it said that 500Gb for first download, so meaning i need like not less than 600gb disk space right correct me if im wrong sir thank you.

Yes, that is correct.

Or if you have less disk space then you can run Bitcoin Core in pruning mode like this: bitcoind -prune=2000 this makes Bitcoin Core use up to 2000 Megabytes of disk space (2GB) by deleting older blocks. You can set it to any other value you want, for example bitcoind -prune=100000 for 100,000 Megabytes (100GB). But if possible, it is recommended to store all blocks.
I would like to try this since i have not try this before, only run other nodes , it said that 500Gb for first download, so meaning i need like not less than 600gb disk space right correct me if im wrong sir or can i select prune? thank you.
legendary

To incentivize people to run a node, I am running a merit challenge. Run Bitcoin Core on your computer for 14 days, to receive 14 merits from me!

Challenge Rules:
  • This challenge is open for anyone with <1000 merit.
  • You need to download Bitcoin Core (any version from this decade) and run bitcoind, the bitcoin daemon, for at least 14 days.
  • The node must be running on mainnet, which is the default setting. Alternative blockchains like testnet are not allowed.
  • Every 24 hours, you need to run bitcoin-cli getblockchaininfo and paste the output here in code-blocks like below. This is to prove that you are actually running a node.

Code:
    {
      "chain" : "str",
      "blocks" : n,
      "headers" : n,
      "bestblockhash" : "str",
      "difficulty" : n,
      "mediantime" : n,
      "verificationprogress" : n,
      "initialblockdownload" : true|false,
      "chainwork" : "hex",
      "size_on_disk" : n,
      "pruned" : true|false,
      "pruneheight" : n,
      "automatic_pruning" : true|false,
      "prune_target_size" : n,
      "softforks" : {
        "xxxx" : {
          "type" : "str",
          "bip9" : {
            "status" : "str",
            "bit" : n,
            "start_time" : xxx,
            "timeout" : xxx,
            "since" : n,
            "statistics" : {
              "period" : n,
              "threshold" : n,
              "elapsed" : n,
              "count" : n,
              "possible" : true|false
            }
          },
          "height" : n,
          "active" : true|false
        },
      },
      "warnings" : "str"
    }

If running the GUI version of core you can also make a screenshot of the progress window.

• It is alright if you forget to do a 24-hour update but don't give me just one or two updates and expect a reward for that.
  • "Merit begging" posts will be deleted.
  • You may run with any other configuration options as you like, such as pruning.
  • Nodes that have synced at least 99% of the blockchain (verificationprogress field in the output) will be given 14 merits. You will not get any merits unless your chain is near-fully synced.
  • Do not enroll alt accounts.
  • To join, start a bitcoin node and paste the output of bitcoin-cli getblockchain info here. That will be considered the first day.

I reserve the right to modify the rules or end this challenge at any time, with immediate effect, for whatever reason.

Good luck, and happy node running!

Pages:
Jump to: