Pages:
Author

Topic: [CHART] Correlation Between Bitcoin Price and Difficulty - page 3. (Read 7463 times)

Activity: 156
Merit: 100
I second the need for a log scale on the first graph. I also want to point out that the fact that price and difficulty are both rising exponentially does not indicate correlation.

It seems there's a direct correlation (as expected) between Bitcoin price and difficulty. I assumed that difficulty is one of the
biggest factors that affects bitcoin's price, and the graphs seems to support this assumption. What's more interesting is the graph
that compares price and difficulty/price. Do you think it is reasonable to indicate whether bitcoin is overpriced from studying this graph?

I believe that your assumption that difficulty affects price is incorrect, and that your graphs do not support your assumption. Correlation is not causation. You can't assume that difficulty affect price just because there is a correlation.

Simple logic demonstrates that there is a loose correlation between price and difficulty, and that difficulty depends on price (and not the other way around). Simply stated, the total hash rate (and thus the difficulty) rises or falls depending on the profitability of mining. Miners (at least the rational ones) won't mine if it is not profitable. If the price falls, miners will stop mining and the difficulty will fall. If the price rises, miners will mine more and the difficulty will rise.

What complicates the correlation is the change in the efficiency of mining in terms of the cost. Because of advances in mining technology, the efficiency of mining has increased dramatically, and in waves. If you adjust for the change in efficiency I'm sure you will see a correlation.

i'm new to btc so i must think again about it. But i find a little flaw in this kind of reasoning: mininig is always profitable. If difficulty changes you will always keep a mark up for the traders who do not mine. so there will be always an incentive to mine and increase the overall difficulty giving momentum to the price.
legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
I second the need for a log scale on the first graph. I also want to point out that the fact that price and difficulty are both rising exponentially does not indicate correlation.

It seems there's a direct correlation (as expected) between Bitcoin price and difficulty. I assumed that difficulty is one of the
biggest factors that affects bitcoin's price, and the graphs seems to support this assumption. What's more interesting is the graph
that compares price and difficulty/price. Do you think it is reasonable to indicate whether bitcoin is overpriced from studying this graph?

I believe that your assumption that difficulty affects price is incorrect, and that your graphs do not support your assumption. Correlation is not causation. You can't assume that difficulty affect price just because there is a correlation.

Simple logic demonstrates that there is a loose correlation between price and difficulty, and that difficulty depends on price (and not the other way around). Simply stated, the total hash rate (and thus the difficulty) rises or falls depending on the profitability of mining. Miners (at least the rational ones) won't mine if it is not profitable. If the price falls, miners will stop mining and the difficulty will fall. If the price rises, miners will mine more and the difficulty will rise.

What complicates the correlation is the change in the efficiency of mining in terms of the cost. Because of advances in mining technology, the efficiency of mining has increased dramatically, and in waves. If you adjust for the change in efficiency I'm sure you will see a correlation.
Activity: 165
Merit: 102
Live life on purpose
I've thought about this also... I think the price of mining could be an anchor to the price of bitcoin.

Why would someone pay $10,000 or $20,000 for a single bitcoin if they can buy a mining rig for, say, $15,000 which will get them a bitcoin in, say 6 days. If a single bitcoin will really be worth $100,000 or so as some have claimed, wouldn't it be logical to think a mining rig for producing a bitcoin would have to be about the same price? And if that's true, how high would the difficulty be? How much power consumption are we talking about?

Am I missing something obvious?
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
That first graph would be better if you made it a log scale so that we can actually see the data from before February.

Great suggestion Smiley Meanwhile, you can zoom in to the graph to see the data better.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
That first graph would be better if you made it a log scale so that we can actually see the data from before February.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
To better investigate the relationship between Bitcoin price and difficulty, I made the following interactive graph.

Live graph: http://bitcointrends.herokuapp.com/

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bitcointrends/graphcaptured.PNG
https://s3.amazonaws.com/bitcointrends/ratiograph.PNG

Live graph: http://bitcointrends.herokuapp.com/
Pages:
Jump to: